Author Topic: Best Spherical PBT Keycaps for Cherry MX?  (Read 7033 times)

Offline choc

Best Spherical PBT Keycaps for Cherry MX?
« on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:07:07 »
Uh, I am searching some well made Spherical PBT Keycaps for my filco 87 and leopold fc750r(that spacebar-_-#)...
Any suggestion?

And, does Realforce stock keycaps fit well in Novatouch? I quite like that on rf 104 hi-pro. :p

PS: It seems sp provides some Spherical PBT. Not sure if they work well on filco or leopold.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:18:12 by choc »

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: Best Spherical PBT Keycaps for Cherry MX?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:26:59 »
When you say spherical, do have a preference over high profile (like SP's SA style, or those on the hi-pro) or low profile (like SP's DSA)? I don't think I've ever seen high profile caps in PBT - other than the Hi-Pro, which are for Torpe style stems, not MX which is what is on the Novatouch/Filco.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline choc

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:48:56 »
When you say spherical, do have a preference over high profile (like SP's SA style, or those on the hi-pro) or low profile (like SP's DSA)? I don't think I've ever seen high profile caps in PBT - other than the Hi-Pro, which are for Torpe style stems, not MX which is what is on the Novatouch/Filco.

Either high profile or low profile is Okay for me cause I can adjust to it with my palm rest if necessary. :)

What about the build quality and typing feeling about SP's DSA?

SP seems to provide medium(abs/pbt) & high(abs) profile spherical. (http://keycapsdirect.com/key-caps.php)

Oh, I originally thought Novatouch can equip with both MX and Topre style keycaps.

Offline Huxley2500

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:49:08 »
Is HiPro PBT?

Offline choc

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 11:03:07 »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 15:21:02 »
No good ones, at least in my opinion. The only spherical PBT caps I know of are SP DSA profile, but I don't like how they feel. They're not very thick or heavy and the smallish tops make them a little hard to type on. I find the taller SA profile much nicer, but they don't make them in PBT. Still prefer the nice thick, heavy ABS SA caps to PBT DSA, though.

Cherry profile thick PBT's are nice too, but SA doubleshots are still heavier (around 2g per cap :) ).
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline choc

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 21:16:16 »
No good ones, at least in my opinion. The only spherical PBT caps I know of are SP DSA profile, but I don't like how they feel. They're not very thick or heavy and the smallish tops make them a little hard to type on. I find the taller SA profile much nicer, but they don't make them in PBT. Still prefer the nice thick, heavy ABS SA caps to PBT DSA, though.

Cherry profile thick PBT's are nice too, but SA doubleshots are still heavier (around 2g per cap :) ).

new thought for me :))

In fact, I'm considering to buy all that three types of full keysets(sp dsa pbt, sp sa abs and cherry pbt), for better type feeling.

I don't know if I made a right decision because I will have 2~3 more keysets than amount of keyboards. A bit upset.:-\
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2015, 21:18:17 by choc »

Offline tbc

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 23:27:28 »

new thought for me :))

In fact, I'm considering to buy all that three types of full keysets(sp dsa pbt, sp sa abs and cherry pbt), for better type feeling.

I don't know if I made a right decision because I will have 2~3 more keysets than amount of keyboards. A bit upset.:-\

if it makes you feel better, you're fitting in ;)
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 07:04:12 »
Does anyone make thick SA caps in PBT?

the dream

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:10:35 »

the dream

SA is only made by SP and they only do them in ABS. The only high profile spherical caps I know of are on the RF Hi-Pro.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline choc

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 20:25:53 »

the dream

SA is only made by SP and they only do them in ABS. The only high profile spherical caps I know of are on the RF Hi-Pro.

^This.