Author Topic: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy  (Read 1222366 times)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy
« Reply #1300 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 22:50:36 »
3 including Christmas day

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #1301 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 23:20:26 »
8 months 17 days from placing my order, I now have a working Orion V2 in my hands! What a journey!

Definitely worth the wait!  Haven't fiddled around with the keymapping yet (gonna start now) but got it all assembled!

I used 65g tactile Zealios only had 4 switches with the chattering problem but got them fixed up no problem.

All in all VERY satisfied with the board! Loving the blue and silver combo too glad I switched over from black  :cool:

Thanks Elton and Duck and anyone else invovled  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

And a link to some more pictures I took during the build if anyone is interested  ;)
http://imgur.com/a/3xiK2
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1302 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 23:24:39 »
8 months 17 days from placing my order, I now have a working Orion V2 in my hands! What a journey!

Definitely worth the wait!  Haven't fiddled around with the keymapping yet (gonna start now) but got it all assembled!

I used 65g tactile Zealios only had 4 switches with the chattering problem but got them fixed up no problem.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

All in all VERY satisfied with the board! Loving the blue and silver combo too glad I switched over from black  :cool:

And a link to some more pictures I took during the build if anyone is interested  ;)

Very nice! I see you sip-socketed your switches but didn't add LEDs, how come?
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #1303 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 23:32:31 »

Thanks! Can finally join the kustom club  ;D

I prefer keyboards with no backlight usually. I think out of the 10 keyboards I own only 1 has full backlighting. With that said I put in sip sockets because I like having the option to go full out with the lighting if the mood hits me. Better to put them in now than desoldering the board and putting them in later  :p
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1304 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 23:53:11 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

sweet man!  Just made me realize I need to get order a usb cable  :))

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1305 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 23:56:16 »

Thanks! Can finally join the kustom club  ;D

I prefer keyboards with no backlight usually. I think out of the 10 keyboards I own only 1 has full backlighting. With that said I put in sip sockets because I like having the option to go full out with the lighting if the mood hits me. Better to put them in now than desoldering the board and putting them in later  :p

Yeah sip-socketing is always a good idea even if you don't like backlighting it helps if you ever need to sell the board. I love backlighting myself so I, the Orion v2 is meant to light like the sun. :p

Offline E3E

« Reply #1306 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 00:11:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Glorious, simply glorious. I love the way the RGB shines up through the Zealios.

Hotswapping is always a good option, even if you never use the functionality yourself. Whether it's for switches or LEDs. I've SIP socketed ALL of my MX boards and it's very nice to switch up the colors at will if needed.

Oooh, that aluminum on aluminum though. I CANNOT wait for the Octagon v2, where I'll finally pick a more subtle color as opposed to my overall favorite case color, red. It's super hard to find a set that really gels well with a red case, but it's hard to pass up that fiery hue. Ahh, so good.

This time I'm going to go for silver top and blue grey bottom!  :thumb:

Did you end up getting two different bottom halves, or do you have TWO Orion v2s? :O
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 December 2015, 00:14:12 by E3E »

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #1307 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 00:32:45 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Glorious, simply glorious. I love the way the RGB shines up through the Zealios.

Hotswapping is always a good option, even if you never use the functionality yourself. Whether it's for switches or LEDs. I've SIP socketed ALL of my MX boards and it's very nice to switch up the colors at will if needed.

Oooh, that aluminum on aluminum though. I CANNOT wait for the Octagon v2, where I'll finally pick a more subtle color as opposed to my overall favorite case color, red. It's super hard to find a set that really gels well with a red case, but it's hard to pass up that fiery hue. Ahh, so good.

Did you end up getting two different bottom halves, or do you have TWO Orion v2s? :O

If you're wondering if it's possible to have two different colored halves for a single order when you go for the octagon then yes you should be able to do that. My orders were like that and they came out perfectly.   I say should because you never know if duck will change that option in the future.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1308 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 01:00:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

If you're wondering if it's possible to have two different colored halves for a single order when you go for the octagon then yes you should be able to do that. My orders were like that and they came out perfectly.   I say should because you never know if duck will change that option in the future.

Oh no, I was asking more so whether or not he bought a few different lowers or actually bought two different Orions to go with the angled acrylic bottom and the aluminum bottom in his imgur album.

Yeah, I'm expecting Duck to leave that option open, especially considering how he had some renders of the Octagon v2 with dual tone color schemes.

Offline orcinus

« Reply #1309 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 01:19:51 »
3 including Christmas day

Well that's mildly worrying, then.
Fingers crossed someone just forgot to update tracking data and it's on its way.

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #1310 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 01:48:21 »
sweet man!  Just made me realize I need to get order a usb cable  :))

I still need to order a new cable that's just for the Orion too!

Yeah sip-socketing is always a good idea even if you don't like backlighting it helps if you ever need to sell the board. I love backlighting myself so I, the Orion v2 is meant to light like the sun. :p

I'm probably gonna light this one up sooner or later, with the acrylic back I'll be able to use this as a flashlight :))

Well that's mildly worrying, then.
Fingers crossed someone just forgot to update tracking data and it's on its way.

I've had so many packages just show up without updated tracking, hopefully you get yours with no problems!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh no, I was asking more so whether or not he bought a few different lowers or actually bought two different Orions to go with the angled acrylic bottom and the aluminum bottom in his imgur album.

Yeah, I'm expecting Duck to leave that option open, especially considering how he had some renders of the Octagon v2 with dual tone color schemes.

I just got one Orion with 2 backs. The silver bottom and acrylic angled bottom, and now that I've seen the pictures I'm kicking myself for not getting the flat acrylic bottom it was so cheap....

And go red again! You have the Jukebox set you're set for life on keysets that look good on red keyboards :p I want to get a "out there" color for my next one. Like a pink or purple.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #1311 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 02:01:50 »
6 switches lubed and sipped :)

just did 90 zealios today... not for orion though.  took a good 3 hours to take apart, lube, SIP socket. 
Hi :)

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #1312 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 02:57:11 »
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #1313 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 07:29:57 »
More build logs please!

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1314 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 08:20:55 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

i just got off to this amazing we got the same config

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #1315 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 08:53:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

i just got off to this amazing we got the same config

Twinsies?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1316 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 09:02:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Congratulations! That is as great looking boards, and I especially love the look of the LEDs with the clear switch tops.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1317 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 11:06:56 »
its here! but I am still not done with my switches... I fell asleep yesterday
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 December 2015, 11:37:00 by appleonama »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1318 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 11:07:20 »

it here! but I am still not done with my switches... I fell asleep yesterday

Pics or it didn't happen

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1319 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 13:40:34 »
Why couldnt leekus pcb have diodes preinstalled....

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1320 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 13:46:20 »

Show Image

I feel you

Offline E3E

« Reply #1321 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 15:06:46 »

Show Image

To make you cherish the board even more once you're done, of course!  :thumb:

* E3E makes a note to buy diodes

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1322 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 16:22:25 »

Show Image

Diodes and resistor are a pain, I much prefer spending the extra money to have somebody do them for me. I wish Duck came out with an Alps option, I like his firmware better.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1323 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 17:14:46 »

Show Image

Diodes and resistor are a pain, I much prefer spending the extra money to have somebody do them for me. I wish Duck came out with an Alps option, I like his firmware better.

even more of a pain when they aren't included!  AHHH more waiting !  DAMN IT

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1324 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 18:07:37 »
I forgot how stabs go on  :rolleyes: anyone can teach me ?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1325 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 18:08:31 »
I forgot how stabs go on  :rolleyes: anyone can teach me ?

Bigger holes are for the stationary part, slide them in, then out the clip ends in the smaller holes

Offline E3E

« Reply #1326 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 18:17:07 »

Show Image

Hehe, I've got a potential Alps Orion v2 build lined up for Slushi so I have to be prepared, but SMD isn't so bad!

Offline orcinus

« Reply #1327 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 19:43:52 »
SMD diodes are easy peasy. Much prefer dealing with those than through hole components.
All it takes is solder with good flux and tweezers.

Still no updates on my tracking T_T

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1328 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 19:46:42 »

Show Image

Hehe, I've got a potential Alps Orion v2 build lined up for Slushi so I have to be prepared, but SMD isn't so bad!

It's not difficult at all just tedious, it's relatively easy but having to solder a resistor, diode, LED, and then the switch itself for a TKL board takes quite the amount of time.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1329 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 19:53:35 »
I've done smd before just sucks that U have to wait for more parts

Offline orcinus

« Reply #1330 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 20:46:35 »

I hear ya.
Always sucks. I've been accumulating parts for a new (custom watercooling loop) rig for months now.

There's always some **** missing and i have to wait for it.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1331 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 20:47:27 »

I hear ya.
Always sucks. I've been accumulating parts for a new (custom watercooling loop) rig for months now.

There's always some **** missing and i have to wait for it.

Yep, the waiting and cost is why I chose a h100i for my rig.  Got it for $40 new reddit deal

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1332 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 14:26:44 »
DONE! Man this took me forever to finish. I was doing everything in fine detail. I am having an issue with my print screen button going off hundreds of times in seconds any ideas?

The LED's were going to be temporary because I didn't have enough of cyan but I really love how the colors mix. Also the TA set looked ugly at first but now it is love at first sight on the orion

« Last Edit: Wed, 30 December 2015, 14:36:52 by appleonama »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1333 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 14:36:09 »

DONE! Man this took me forever to finish. I was doing everything in fine detail. I am having an issue with my print screen button going off hundreds of times in seconds any ideas?

The LED's were going to be temporary because I didn't have enough of cyan but I really love how the colors mix. Also the TA set looked ugly at first but now it is love at first sight on the orion she is a looker

Show Image

Img broken

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1334 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 14:37:38 »

The LED's were going to be temporary because I didn't have enough of cyan but I really love how the colors mix. Also the TA set looked ugly at first but now it is love at first sight on the orion she is a looker

Show Image

Img broken

http://imgur.com/Jc2KQdc

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #1335 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 14:51:42 »

The LED's were going to be temporary because I didn't have enough of cyan but I really love how the colors mix. Also the TA set looked ugly at first but now it is love at first sight on the orion

Show Image

Nice! The TA looks really good on that, makes me want to get a set haha

Are you using zealous by chance? I had a couple chattering issues that made the switches activate before actually going all the way down.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74807.msg1923515#msg1923515

Used this to fix it though. 100% success rate and didn't have to desolder anything :)

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1336 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 14:59:23 »

Show Image

Are you using zealous by chance? I had a couple chattering issues that made the switches activate before actually going all the way down.

Used this to fix it though. 100% success rate and didn't have to desolder anything :)

I am using gateron black but I inspected every single switch. I don't think it is a switch problem it seems to be a software issue. Everytime I connect my keyboards it just begins to prt sc multiple times

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #1337 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 15:04:18 »
I am using gateron black but I inspected every single switch. I don't think it is a switch problem it seems to be a software issue. Everytime I connect my keyboards it just begins to prt sc multiple times

:eek: bizzare I haven't fiddled around with the software yet so wouldn't even know where to start

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1338 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 15:48:40 »

Show Image

Have you tried de-soldering just that switch and seeing if the issue persists? I'm not really sure it could be the firmware after messing around with it a bit, or it could a defective PCB which I sure hope not.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1339 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 19:18:17 »

Show Image

Have you tried de-soldering just that switch and seeing if the issue persists? I'm not really sure it could be the firmware after messing around with it a bit, or it could a defective PCB which I sure hope not.

its the switch... once I remover solder from the joints it stopped the print screen. I wonder whats wrong with it. I can't take of the switch since my solder sucker sucks ass. just got this http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-SS-02-Solder-Sucker/dp/B002MJMXD4/ref=sr_1_3?dd=aKrOoZPHPFjYz6XKVlNrCg%2C%2C&ddc_refnmnt=pfod&ie=UTF8&qid=1451524284&sr=8-3&keywords=solder+sucker&refinements=p_97%3A11292772011 if I kept trying id probably burn the bad off

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1340 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 19:25:14 »

Show Image

its the switch... once I remover solder from the joints it stopped the print screen. I wonder whats wrong with it. I can't take of the switch since my solder sucker sucks ass. just got this http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-SS-02-Solder-Sucker/dp/B002MJMXD4/ref=sr_1_3?dd=aKrOoZPHPFjYz6XKVlNrCg%2C%2C&ddc_refnmnt=pfod&ie=UTF8&qid=1451524284&sr=8-3&keywords=solder+sucker&refinements=p_97%3A11292772011 if I kept trying id probably burn the bad off

Ah at least it's the switch. I have the same solder sucker as well, I find it best if you can not get suck up all the solder the first time to re-solder it, heat up the solder, and then try and get the best seal possible with the solder sucker and then hit the button to suck it up. Sometimes if you leave a little gap it won't completely suck up all the solder, I'm definitely going to invest in a de-soldering station one of these times.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1341 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 19:43:15 »

Show Image

Ah at least it's the switch. I have the same solder sucker as well, I find it best if you can not get suck up all the solder the first time to re-solder it, heat up the solder, and then try and get the best seal possible with the solder sucker and then hit the button to suck it up. Sometimes if you leave a little gap it won't completely suck up all the solder, I'm definitely going to invest in a de-soldering station one of these times.

burn the pad*

yeah thats good I can live without a print screen for the mean time. yeah I tried to resolder and suck it out but my sucker just sucks. I don't want to burn the pad :( I just remembered my friend has a soldering station! going to take it to him to remove the solder.

do you know how to access fn or the other layers?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1342 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 20:05:03 »
More

Show Image

burn the pad*

yeah thats good I can live without a print screen for the mean time. yeah I tried to resolder and suck it out but my sucker just sucks. I don't want to burn the pad :( I just remembered my friend has a soldering station! going to take it to him to remove the solder.

do you know how to access fn or the other layers?

I'm pretty sure there is not a key to layer change or function(since I have wkl) with the preset hex file loaded onto the board. I ended up changing my Pause key to layer change and it makes it very easy to rotate thru the layers. I have my second layer set for the LED controls.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1343 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:29:26 »
Also the TA set looked ugly at first but now it is love at first sight on the orion

That's not how love at first sight works! :P

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1344 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:34:57 »
I wish my diodes could here faster

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1345 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:36:22 »

Sorry :( If i had known we need them beforehand, you wouldn't had to wait now.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1346 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:37:25 »
Also the TA set looked ugly at first but now it is love at first sight on the orion

That's not how love at first sight works! :P

:rolleyes: got me there

You know its love at first sight for you :cool:

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1347 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:38:42 »

Not a problem. Appreciate what you did for me.  Was very kind of you

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1348 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 23:00:14 »

PURDY
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 December 2015, 23:06:02 by appleonama »

Offline R1N3

« Reply #1349 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 23:25:11 »

We need diodes? ? ?