Author Topic: How can I get hold of a Radio shack desoldering iron?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
How can I get hold of a Radio shack desoldering iron?
« on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 11:36:48 »
I'm looking for stuff like this Radio shack iron. Fohat recommended it and lots of people online say it's good for 2x PCBs, but it's out of stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-Desoldering-Irons-Four-are-RadioShack-45-W-One-is-60-W-All-heat-up-/161673234161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a479c6f1

I want to buy new. Not confident about these irons in the ebay ad.

my goals are to get hold of some desoldering irons suitable for taking on double sided PCBs as painlessly as possible.

I anticipate that my future desoldering needs for double sided PCBs are maybe 400 led joints and 600 regular joints. This works out to 2-3 keyboards. Not worth spending hundreds of dollars to get a Hakko desoldering gun.

Any advice is very welcome. I have no idea what the keywords are on Taobao.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Re: How can I get hold of a Radio shack desoldering iron?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 11:52:10 »
Have you checked Sim Lim Tower (not Sim Lim Square) Basement 1? There are a lot of shops there selling all kinds of soldering related products, got my Hakko Iron and Desoldering Pump from there too.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 13:48:10 »
Ah frosty, but I want something like the Radio shack iron-cum-pump.

Those in Sim Lim Tower may sell desoldering irons, or pumps, that operate separately. There are Hakko models that work together (the desoldering gun I mentioned) but these are super expensive and also very heavy and clumsy.

i am also willing to buy from Taobao but I don't know what to search for. Remember, it has to be something like the Radio shack design.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 13:52:35 »
I wouldn't waste the time or money on that ****.  Took me 3 hours and burned 4 switches worth of pads when I used one on a poker (so a 10th the switches and none of the LEDs).  Get a tuned soldapult if you don't have one, find a friend with an 808 or buy one used.

EDIT: Honestly, considering how little I've used mine lately, if you paid shipping, I wouldn't mind loaning you mine (you're on 110v, right?) on a no timeframe basis. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 April 2015, 13:56:08 by tjcaustin »

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 08:38:12 »
I wouldn't waste the time or money on that ****.  Took me 3 hours and burned 4 switches worth of pads when I used one on a poker (so a 10th the switches and none of the LEDs).  Get a tuned soldapult if you don't have one, find a friend with an 808 or buy one used.

EDIT: Honestly, considering how little I've used mine lately, if you paid shipping, I wouldn't mind loaning you mine (you're on 110v, right?) on a no timeframe basis.

What he said.  Wouldn't even bother.  Spend a little more cash and get something that will work better.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 08:44:21 »
Yeah, I started with that bulb desoldering tool from Radio Shack, and I got to where I could use it, but be prepared to replace tips often. I'm talking every 200 joints or so. They are made of a soft metal, and they wear through the side. Not recommended.

I would recommend an Edsyn Soldapullt and your normal iron. That's what I use when I don't want to fire up the Hakko 808. Just don't buy a knockoff Soldapullt. Get a real one direct from Edsyn, or you can buy them through the geekhackers.org storefront.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 11:53:29 »

More amazing geekhack generosity! Thanks, but I'm in another country and on 220v. But your feedback is important. As you are an active and experienced modder, if you can screw up a board on these irons it's a big warning for me!

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 12:45:53 »
Yeah, I started with that bulb desoldering tool from Radio Shack, and I got to where I could use it, but be prepared to replace tips often. I'm talking every 200 joints or so. They are made of a soft metal, and they wear through the side. Not recommended.

I would recommend an Edsyn Soldapullt and your normal iron. That's what I use when I don't want to fire up the Hakko 808. Just don't buy a knockoff Soldapullt. Get a real one direct from Edsyn, or you can buy them through the geekhackers.org storefront.

JD, I have many small, cheap soldapullts here easily available. I suspect that in the long run I am spending 2x or more because these soldapullts die after every few hundred joints.

mY questions are:

1) how long does the edsyn last?
2) is it really that easy to use? I am able to operate these small solder pullers with one hand, but the esyn looks like it's big, clumsy and hard to hold and reload with one hand while my other hand is holding the soldering iron.
3) is it really better at desoldering 2x PCBs, leds, and all those normally hard to desolder things in the mechanical keyboard world?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 15:51:15 »
1) how long does the edsyn last?
If you clean it regularly, it should last pretty much forever (or at least several years and many hundreds of keyboards of desoldering). After several dozen keyboards, the rubber o-ring seal might wearing out a bit, but you could replace it easily. Also, you can replace the tip if it starts getting melted out of shape.

If you want to get fancier, you can get mkawa’s version that has krytox lube on the inside of the barrel, and a much fancier material and trickier shape on the seal. See his video https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57083.0

Just the standard version works great though, as long as you clean it out from time to time.

is it really better at desoldering 2x PCBs, leds, and all those normally hard to desolder things in the mechanical keyboard world?
All of these are easy to desolder with a Soldapullt, in my experience.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 April 2015, 15:54:21 by jacobolus »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 15:53:04 »
Oops, sorry. Forgot to reply, but jacobolus gave the answers I would have, anyway. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 16:30:55 »
I feel as though it is easier to desolder using the radioshack desoldering iron because it helps to have an iron and a solder sucker built into 1. Using the soldapult is kinda difficult to do with 1 hand, and the radioshack desoldering iron is very fast compared to the regular soldapult, as long as the soldering joint has plenty of solder (the radioshack desoldering iron has a big opening thus if the soldering joint is small, you will not be coming into contact with the entire joint). This is just my personal opinion, and I'm just a newbie starting out so... take it with a grain of salt  :)
Hope this helps  :thumb:
What is love.... Baby don't hurt me... No more!!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 16:56:32 »
it is easier to desolder using the radioshack desoldering iron because it helps to have an iron and a solder sucker built into it

For a cheap piece of equipment, it works pretty well. My soldering gear is rubbish and that is being kindly.

I experienced the hole melting through the side of the tip as jdcarpenter described after about 4-5 standard keyboards and took it back to the store. They gladly replaced the tip but said that they had never seen it happen before.

Now I plan to go to the store and buy some spare tips (@$2-3 each) before "The Shack" evaporates.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 17:13:49 »
it is easier to desolder using the radioshack desoldering iron because it helps to have an iron and a solder sucker built into it

For a cheap piece of equipment, it works pretty well. My soldering gear is rubbish and that is being kindly.

I experienced the hole melting through the side of the tip as jdcarpenter described after about 4-5 standard keyboards and took it back to the store. They gladly replaced the tip but said that they had never seen it happen before.

Now I plan to go to the store and buy some spare tips (@$2-3 each) before "The Shack" evaporates.

I have yet to experience this problem but I also think that for the price, it's well worth it.
Back to the OP, I think there is an upgraded version of this same desoldering iron with better construction for $24.
What is love.... Baby don't hurt me... No more!!