Author Topic: My Custom IBM F AT  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
My Custom IBM F AT
« on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 14:02:54 »
Just wanted to let you guys know I finished the functional portion of my custom AT build.  I have hacked and modded the back plate to where it is the same size as the top plate.  It does not get used in a case.  Rather it sits in a recessed portion of the keyboard tray. 

The number one design feature I was going for was no exposed wiring, controller, or anything but the plate and caps.  I believe I have accomplished my design goal.  The entire project is not finished yet.  The few things I have left to finish is the lighting, and a new desk and keyboard tray for this to reside in.  When I get to that point I will be building my own and will take better care of the cuts and hidden stuff as well.  Either way, here are the pics.  Some are potato, some are from a Cannon 7d.

97831-0
97833-1
97837-2
97839-3
97841-4
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 April 2015, 14:08:33 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mstarr

Re: My Custom IBM F AT
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 14:22:25 »
Damn, good work as always, Melvang.  Those Cherry keys look great!

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 18:53:03 »
I've been waiting to hear about this, and it looks amazing. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Meanwhile I haven't yet managed to finish disassembling my AT.

Also, nice AT-AT
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline SpaceGhost

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 19:53:42 »
Damn, good work as always, Melvang.  Those Cherry keys look great!

Cherry keys? Which ones are Cherry, and how is that possible on an IBM buckling-spring board? Did I miss something here?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 20:02:12 »
Waaaait, is this the one built into the desk tray? And it's hinged? Holy crap that's cool.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 21:20:04 »
Looks awesome.  More info/pics needed for sure.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 23:49:34 »
I like the concept, but without better photos I'm afraid I can't vote this for Keyboard of the Month.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 03:18:52 »
That looks awsome. I like the idea.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 05:19:54 »
why you put cherry sticker on poor ibm?  :'(

Offline SpaceGhost

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 13:48:04 »
why you put cherry sticker on poor ibm?  :'(

Yeah, and what's this about "...Those Cherry keys look great!" as stated by mstarr?

Offline platypus

• dongerino adventures
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 14:59:53 »
Wow I can barely notice those now compared to that pic you showed me before, great work with making those blend in with the rest of the switches.  :thumb:

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 03:03:17 »
Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng. So sex.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 07:48:55 »
That's pretty frickin cool.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Skechup

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 11:50:53 »
That looks amazing, good job!  ;D

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 21:03:54 »
Thanks for the compliments guys. 

I do have to say that the Cherry sticker was mostly a troll but I do like the splash of color.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 21:28:11 »
:o Looks fantastic. I like the AT-AT as well. Is it true that XT's are in the best in terms of "feels"?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 08:28:06 »
:o Looks fantastic. I like the AT-AT as well. Is it true that XT's are in the best in terms of "feels"?

In the Model F family, I'll take the 122 key.  But between the XT and AT, I'll take the XT.  I'll take the 122 key over any keyboard in the 4704 family, in terms of feel.

Then there is beam spring....
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 11:25:56 »

In the Model F family, I'll take the 122 key.  But between the XT and AT, I'll take the XT.  I'll take the 122 key over any keyboard in the 4704 family, in terms of feel.

Then there is beam spring....

Well I have not tried beam spring yet unfortunately but I do love my F122. Its just the numpad makes it very uncomfortable for me. The AT looks very unattractive to me with its big ass enter key.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 12:41:29 »
Well I have not tried beam spring yet unfortunately but I do love my F122. Its just the numpad makes it very uncomfortable for me. The AT looks very unattractive to me with its big ass enter key.

That's why the unsaver exists .  Hard to find and pricey.

And the AT layout is easily switched.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 13:22:18 »

That's why the unsaver exists
Show Image
.  Hard to find and pricey.

And the AT layout is easily switched.

Oh I know all about Unsaver trust me :thumb: Its my dream board. I will most likely be getting one from another member here soon!

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 18:07:29 »
Doesn't Elipse have an F Unsaver on ebay?
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 18:08:32 »
Yep.  It's at about $550 I think

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 18:44:27 »
Yes I already had negotiations with Ellipse. He is more set on money than getting the board to the best owner so I passed down spending that kind of money because I can't pay that much.  The other member I am talking to values ones own modifications. I am so excited.  I think eventually Ellipse will pay 550$ in ebay fees if he keeps relisting it over and over again.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 19:37:08 »
I think eventually Ellipse will pay 550$ in ebay fees if he keeps relisting it over and over again.

You don't pay fees until it sells.

$500-$800 seems like a reasonable price for an item of this rarity and desirability.

And triple that equally reasonable for a 77-key 4704.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 20:23:49 »
I think eventually Ellipse will pay 550$ in ebay fees if he keeps relisting it over and over again.

You don't pay fees until it sells.

$500-$800 seems like a reasonable price for an item of this rarity and desirability.

And triple that equally reasonable for a 77-key 4704.

Oh welp I don't know ebay that well so I guess that was very silly of me to say that.  :confused:  I like to think that these "rare" boards go to the person who will use them the most and bring the board to its full potential, but in reality it goes to the highest bidder.  The price of 550$ seems too much for a keyboard to me, and it really kills the value to me. Feels like I didn't spend that money to use it, more like I spent it just to have the "rarest" board. This is all opinion and speculation, and in the end it is up to the seller, but 550$ is far too much money to me.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 21:11:49 »
550$ is far too much money to me.

Without a doubt. And I would love to have an ancient Greek gold coin, about equally rare but far more expensive.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015