Author Topic: Lego should make keycaps  (Read 7043 times)

Offline Snarfangel

Lego should make keycaps
« on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 14:15:42 »
Supporting this argument: They've worked with ABS since 1963, Lego molds have a tolerance of less than two micrometers (they don't connect if they are out of whack), and they've produced 400 billion blocks over five decades.

PLUS they are super-durable, non-toxic, and have these cool colors:

(Plus other colors, I think, including metallic ones.)

And the larger boxes of blocks cost just a bit more than a penny apiece, so you know they could have a healthy margin with keycaps.
98774-0
Just $75.99 on Amazon.

(Seriously, they would be awesome. I still prefer PBT, but some of those translucent Lego bricks would be perfect for backlit keyboards.)
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2015, 14:17:44 by Snarfangel »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Lego should make keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 14:53:17 »
Do you collect the 2x4 blocks? That's actually pretty sick, there's some cool colors in that collection.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Data

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 21:01:22 »
That's great and all, but can they do doubleshot injection?

As far as I know the closest thing to legends LEGO does is a form of pad printing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:36:03 »
But would their keycaps be MX or Topre compatible?  Or would they require some sort of custom Lego stem?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 07:30:39 »
Never seen a doubleshot piece of Lego, though.

But would their keycaps be MX or Topre compatible?  Or would they require some sort of custom Lego stem?

Modular, that's what Lego's all about. So a standard keycap top with removable / replaceble stems in both Topre and MX... Maybe even Alps and Model M stems somewhere down the line. Lots of wishful thinking in those last 2 sentences.

Maybe one of the new clone companies like Mega Bloks would be interested in the idea, as long as you can show there's a big enough market. Which I think is the problem. There just aren't as many keyboard enthusiasts out there as there are Lego enthusiasts.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 07:44:06 »

Modular, that's what Lego's all about. So a standard keycap top with removable / replaceble stems in both Topre and MX... Maybe even Alps and Model M stems somewhere down the line. Lots of wishful thinking in those last 2 sentences.

Maybe one of the new clone companies like Mega Bloks would be interested in the idea, as long as you can show there's a big enough market. Which I think is the problem. There just aren't as many keyboard enthusiasts out there as there are Lego enthusiasts.

Ewwwww Mega Bloks. That's almost like buying those knock-off clacks. :))

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 14:27:06 »
I think you got something mixed up there guys... xD
Wouldn't making Lego Keycaps be kinda against the hole spirit of Legos to be creative and work with the limit blocks that you have available? =)

Instead of relying on Lego to make Keycaps, the real challenge is to create your own using Lego Bricks...

Website
Youtube

On a serious note tho, that Lego Keyboard build looks amazing imo and I figured this was a good opportunity to share this.
He actually made a complete case and even created his own Lego sliders/stems for all switches.

Except for Lego parts he only used a rubber dome pcb, and with the power of legos turned it into some mechanical semi topre style madness.  ;)

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:42:44 »
Do you collect the 2x4 blocks? That's actually pretty sick, there's some cool colors in that collection.

I wish! I had a few Lego sets when I was a kid, but that was four decades ago. I bet the blocks I used are still in good shape, though.  :))

But Lego is the master of plastic, and I think they could do good things with keycaps.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 10:19:47 »
How about these?  ;D
99229-0

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 10:21:25 »
How about these?  ;D
(Attachment Link)
Tell me when feng I have my money ready O.O
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:06:50 »

They did it recently for the Simpsons mini figs, or at least it seems so.

Offline burn1nsun

• My stupid YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 13:55:56 »
Legos are fun as heck but they are expensive
HHKB Pro 2 l Pok3r Gateron Blacks

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 20:39:24 »
How about these?  ;D
(Attachment Link)

Looks sweet Feng!
It would be awesome if the nibs are actually lego compatible so you can build on them...  ;D

Offline jamster

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 06:54:04 »
A couple of years back, there was a BBC article that covered Lego (specifically, the question of how high a tower of 2x2 Lego bricks would have to go before the bottom piece was crushed by the weight of those above it).

They tested Lego to destruction at one of the British universities, and found that it was manufactured to extremely high tolerances. The test involved a machine that applied gradually increasing pressure, and instead of cracking, the pieces would take so much pressure that they would basically melt instead. The estimated height of the theoretical tower was something like 3.5 kilometers.

So I'd guess that if Lego decided to make keycaps, they'd probably do a pretty good job of it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20578627

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 21:23:30 »
A couple of years back, there was a BBC article that covered Lego (specifically, the question of how high a tower of 2x2 Lego bricks would have to go before the bottom piece was crushed by the weight of those above it).

They tested Lego to destruction at one of the British universities, and found that it was manufactured to extremely high tolerances. The test involved a machine that applied gradually increasing pressure, and instead of cracking, the pieces would take so much pressure that they would basically melt instead. The estimated height of the theoretical tower was something like 3.5 kilometers.

So I'd guess that if Lego decided to make keycaps, they'd probably do a pretty good job of it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20578627

That's crazy how ruthless their QA department must be!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hking0036

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 19:54:21 »
Legos are fun as heck but they are expensive
So are keyboards
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 00:58:45 »

Except for Lego parts he only used a rubber dome pcb, and with the power of legos turned it into some mechanical semi topre style madness.  ;)

Um, no he didn't. He turned a normal rubber dome board into a Lego rubber dome board. Doesn't qualify for the "mechanical" moniker.

(Attachment Link)

You're right, those pants in particular sure look doubleshot molded to me:

Very interesting. I guess it's just a matter of convincing them there's a market for them. Probably the best way to go about it is to convince them to make a Lego branded keyboard with Cherry MX switches.

« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2015, 01:01:43 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 01:19:18 »

Um, no he didn't. He turned a normal rubber dome board into a Lego rubber dome board. Doesn't qualify for the "mechanical" moniker.

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Very interesting. I guess it's just a matter of convincing them there's a market for them. Probably the best way to go about it is to convince them to make a Lego branded keyboard with Cherry MX switches.

A lego branded KB would be pretty amazing, I would probably buy it on novelty factor alone :) I think I saw them talking about the pants being a new process for lego in this video:

Offline jamster

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 04:09:31 »

I want doubleshot pants.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 10:18:20 »
So, what's the plan of action?

Convincing them seems quite impossible to me. The market for keycaps set is small. They would need to partner with someone who already makes keyboards.

Offline Data

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 11:29:51 »
So, what's the plan of action?

Convincing them seems quite impossible to me. The market for keycaps set is small. They would need to partner with someone who already makes keyboards.

They are a toy company.  What's the incentive for them to produce keycaps?  If they manufactured some sets, they would be insanely expensive -- probably the most expensive caps ever, if made to the same standards as LEGO's other products.  Who would buy them?  LEGO spends big money on high-precision mold production.  Where is the return on that significant investment?

It doesn't hurt to ask them, but I think anyone who does so should be prepared to be laughed right out of Denmark.

Offline zenless

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 13:24:21 »
I was swapping out my keycaps this morning before most people were in the office. Another person yells over the cube wall 'Are you playing with Legos?' .. I answered yes figuring that was less geeky.

Later on they came by to see what i was building. I think i disappointed them.

Offline SamFlynn

• Location: From inside the hive, behind your eyes, and off the grid...into the Black.
  • Type until there is no need...
    • Firefly Online Forum
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 00:27:45 »
I was swapping out my keycaps this morning before most people were in the office. Another person yells over the cube wall 'Are you playing with Legos?' .. I answered yes figuring that was less geeky.

« Last Edit: Sat, 23 May 2015, 00:30:35 by SamFlynn »
<Press Any Key>

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 06:35:16 »
I can't imagine how being into keyboards can be considered less geeky than legos... Well, it is if all you do is swapping keycaps and lubing switches, it is  :D