Author Topic: [TMK] HHKB Alt Controller  (Read 211426 times)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Re: [TMK] HHKB Alt Controller
« Reply #550 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 11:36:12 »
hmmm, how do you flash bluetooth firmware?

Check first post of this thread at first and let me know if you still have trouble.

Quoted from first post:
You can use dfu-programmer or Atmel FLIP to program microcontroller on the board. To get controller into bootloader(program) mode you can push red button on back or press key combo "LShift+RShift+Fn+P(Pause)" with default keymap. Microcontroller of board is Atmel ATMega32u4.

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki#flash-firmware
TMK products:HHKB Alt  ⌨ConvertersAlps64FC660C AltFC980C Alt

Offline Jkshowman

« Reply #551 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 02:34:23 »
And you just go ahead and flash the bluetooth? The same way you would the USB? Cause whenever I flash the Bluetooth, the USB firmware disappears, forcing the keyboard into DFU mode and the Bluetooth connects to my computer, but doesn't output any characters?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #552 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 02:51:29 »
And you just go ahead and flash the bluetooth? The same way you would the USB? Cause whenever I flash the Bluetooth, the USB firmware disappears, forcing the keyboard into DFU mode and the Bluetooth connects to my computer, but doesn't output any characters?

Where/how did you get the firmware, and which tool did you use when you flashed it?

I'm not sure that I understand your problem correctly probably becuase of language barrier between us. Can you use simple plain English and explain your problem in  more detail?

Offline joric

« Reply #553 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 12:43:02 »
Does anyone know anything to say about this lot? Says it needs 20 people for GB:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.w4023-1201089622.16.65391c57N0SeJM&id=579075842800

Costs 350 CNY (~ 50 USD) + apparently 18 CNY for shipping (in China).

The parts are dirt cheap (no RN-42, nothing) I have everything to build it right away, sadly it's not open source. Or is it?

Machine translation:

1. The entire PCB is reduced, leaving more battery space. The battery is also more than 2000mah.

2. Bluetooth is a BLE module, use MDBT40, dual-mode support functions can refer to ydkb.io, select BLE HHKB .

3. Improvement of the power supply section, several times to improve the battery life. Combined with 1, the battery life should be able to have several weeks.

In addition to the above points. There are still some uncertain but very likely to join.

4. USB HUB is supported in wired mode (one or two external usb interfaces, JP does not support external USB), and the extra is built-in for other purposes.

5. Reserved indicator interface and RGB light strip interface to prepare for customized housing.

The main control will also support HHKB Pro2, HHKB Pro2 Type-S and HHKB JP. The installation method is to open the keyboard, remove the original main control, and install the current main control, without welding or destroying the outer casing.

Offline Youthink

« Reply #554 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 23:52:47 »
I have two questions.

1. I received the circuit board is green, but I see in the picture is blue, what's the difference?

2. How is the Led light displayed when the lithium battery is low in energy?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #555 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 02:35:56 »
Hi,
1. just color, there are no difference in electrical aspect. I use green pcb with recent revsions.
2. It is indicated by red on 'BAT' LED when not pluged into USB, while red means charging when pluged.

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2018, 02:39:00 by hasu »

Offline seerk

« Reply #556 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 13:29:29 »
My lgui/rgui keys stopped working :( I checked the keyboard debug function in hid_listener and events don't show up when I press the keys.
Any idea what might have happened?

UDATE: flashing new firmware fixed the issue
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 January 2019, 13:44:48 by seerk »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #557 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 13:49:40 »
I think boot magic was activated accidentally when keyboard is plugged.
Try holding space and backspace key, then plug to remove configuration from eeprom of the controller.

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard#boot-magic-configuration---virtual-dip-switch

I think I disabled the boot magic feature on default firmware for hhkb sometime ago, but I'm not sure. If not I'll do that. The feature is not so useful for many of users but very problematic when it works accidentally.

Offline monkeyking24

« Reply #558 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 15:41:07 »
I have one question. I bought a HHKB Pro2 Bluetooth controller. The bluetooth connection works fine for me. But when I turn off bluetooth switch and connect a USB cable, the keyboard doesn't work. The light indicates that the battery is charging, but I can't type. Does anybody have similar situation? I tried both Windows and macOS. Both of them don't recognize USB connection but only bluetooth connection. In one sentence, the USB mode of the bluetooth controller doesn't work for me.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 January 2019, 15:46:06 by monkeyking24 »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #559 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 20:23:59 »
I have one question. I bought a HHKB Pro2 Bluetooth controller. The bluetooth connection works fine for me. But when I turn off bluetooth switch and connect a USB cable, the keyboard doesn't work. The light indicates that the battery is charging, but I can't type. Does anybody have similar situation? I tried both Windows and macOS. Both of them don't recognize USB connection but only bluetooth connection. In one sentence, the USB mode of the bluetooth controller doesn't work for me.

I can't come up with idea except for bad connection. Did you try other usb cables? Some of people but not a few suffer from their poor cables, someone had even two bad cables in a row.

If usb connection is proper you will see something changing in Windows Device Manager when you press red button on the controller.

And you should try flashing default firmware downloaded from Keymap Editor withtout editting if you flashed firmware before.
http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?hhkb_rn42

Offline monkeyking24

« Reply #560 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 21:42:04 »

I can't come up with idea except for bad connection. Did you try other usb cables? Some of people but not a few suffer from their poor cables, someone had even two bad cables in a row.

If usb connection is proper you will see something changing in Windows Device Manager when you press red button on the controller.

And you should try flashing default firmware downloaded from Keymap Editor withtout editting if you flashed firmware before.

Thanks for your quick reply, hasu. I did try 2 cables but they both don't help. One is the original one and the other is from another device. I don't have a third one. I haven't flashed my firmware yet. Then I will buy a new cable and try. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 January 2019, 21:46:15 by monkeyking24 »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #561 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 05:09:44 »
After finally installed my BT controller 2 weeks ago.
It's my first attempt trying to connect my HHKB with BT Controller via bluetooth to my ThinkPad and to my iPad, here are some issues, perhaps it's just the instant of my settings or my controller:

- Connection is successful, but upon successful connection, the keyboard can make no input at all, same for both iPad and ThinkPad
- After putting the switch back towards the closer-to-LEDs position and plugging in the keyboard to the USB-cable again, the computer gives from time to time "USB Device Not Recognized" warnings despite the keyboard is working.

For those who have experience of using the BT Controller with iPad, please let me know how you connect.
And please let me know what can be done to make it works.
Wishlist: 1) hotswap boards for MX and for Alps; 2) Alps64; 3) Universal Teensy convertor; 3) Quack & Split Planck; 4) Solid cases like TX
More
Wishful-list: 1) HASU BT battery lasts a year; 2) ABS Shine-proof/PBT DoubleShot spherical; 3) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 4) Endgame
IBM M13 black
IBM SpaceSaver II
IBM KPD8923 Trackpoint
Choc mini Gateron black
PLUM 84 'Topre-clone' 55g Korean dome
HHKB Pro 2 stock
[typing slowly at ~80WPM, in love with Emacs, and growing in Lisp]

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #562 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 05:49:32 »
Didn't TROUBLESHOOT section in first post help?
Your first issue sounds like exactly what it describes. I think you flashed firmware for USB controller for some reason.
As for Second one I have no clear idea but improper firmware may also causes perhaps.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #563 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 06:15:21 »
Didn't TROUBLESHOOT section in first post help?
Your first issue sounds like exactly what it describes. I think you flashed firmware for USB controller for some reason.
As for Second one I have no clear idea but improper firmware may also causes perhaps.

My bad...
I did visit that page, but it looks like a lot of point and click, so I worked on the files from Git Pull and compile the hex myself.
Is TMK on Github up-to-date and which file inside /keyboard should I use to compile for HHKB Pro2 BT?
Wishlist: 1) hotswap boards for MX and for Alps; 2) Alps64; 3) Universal Teensy convertor; 3) Quack & Split Planck; 4) Solid cases like TX
More
Wishful-list: 1) HASU BT battery lasts a year; 2) ABS Shine-proof/PBT DoubleShot spherical; 3) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 4) Endgame
IBM M13 black
IBM SpaceSaver II
IBM KPD8923 Trackpoint
Choc mini Gateron black
HHKB Pro 2 stock

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #564 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 06:30:02 »
Refer to 'Build firmware' in MANUAL section for build hex from source. Or download prebuild hex file from proper keymap editor for your controller as the TROUBLESHOOT explain.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #565 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 06:33:35 »
To download prebuild firmware file Use this link of keymap editor for Bluetooth controller fro Pro2.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #566 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 07:44:50 »
Refer to 'Build firmware' in MANUAL section for build hex from source. Or download prebuild hex file from proper keymap editor for your controller as the TROUBLESHOOT explain.

I missed this part... Thanks Hasu!
make -f Makefile.rn42
More
IBM M13 black
IBM SpaceSaver II
IBM KPD8923 Trackpoint
Choc mini Gateron black
HHKB Pro 2 stock

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • going sane
« Reply #567 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 18:53:38 »
Congrats on the Linus TechTips shoutout, keep up the good work hasu!  :thumb:

Offline Coeurl

« Reply #568 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 10:33:50 »
Thanks Hasu for a nice working alt controller :)