Author Topic: legend tactile.  (Read 13684 times)

Offline itlnstln

legend tactile.
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 22 September 2009, 13:20:17 »
The wiki explains all.

Offline mike2h

legend tactile.
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 22 September 2009, 17:16:23 »
well, dont know what to make of above, but as i said before these are definetly white. they are fairly firm to the touch(all i have for refences are non mech kb), have slight bump about a 3rd of the way down & i dont know wether its my imagination or not, but the switches seem to offer a little more resistance once u get past the bump & continue with downward stroke.
bty, no 'clickyness' involved.only sound u get is from hitting bottom.

Offline d4rkst4r

legend tactile.
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 02:18:01 »
I bought this keyboard a while back except I chose Ice over Frost. Definitely look like the key switch actuators are white. Interesting problem I had was the F key was missing the tactile nub. It was instead on the G key. I had to contact support (posted in the support forum also) and have them send replacement F and G keys.

The key switch action has a tactile bump more pronounced than the cherry browns. The feel is a bit frictiony. I've read posts here of people disliking the frictionyness of the black alps on the AT101W. These cherry whites feel even more frictiony. It's a bit gimmicky with it's backlighting and pricey, but overall I like the board. Build quality is good, cherry switches, hackable, and available key sets. Included with mine was a skull and crossbones replacement escape key. I can't wait to replace the Win keys with Penguins!
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2009, 02:29:00 by d4rkst4r »
Italian Red FKB104M/EB · Deck Legend Ice (tactile) · AEKII

Offline mike2h

legend tactile.
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 10:55:25 »
Quote from: d4rkst4r;119990
I bought this keyboard a while back except I chose Ice over Frost. Definitely look like the key switch actuators are white. Interesting problem I had was the F key was missing the tactile nub. It was instead on the G key. I had to contact support (posted in the support forum also) and have them send replacement F and G keys.

The key switch action has a tactile bump more pronounced than the cherry browns. The feel is a bit frictiony. I've read posts here of people disliking the frictionyness of the black alps on the AT101W. These cherry whites feel even more frictiony. It's a bit gimmicky with it's backlighting and pricey, but overall I like the board. Build quality is good, cherry switches, hackable, and available key sets. Included with mine was a skull and crossbones replacement escape key. I can't wait to replace the Win keys with Penguins!

have you tried cherry blues? if so, how do the whites compare to them?
im going to buy my wife a mech keyboard, but with my only exp being with whites it is hard to make an informed choice. i've received great info here so far but you are the first person who can actualy give me a true comparison:)

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
legend tactile.
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 11:38:19 »
Quote from: mike2h;120026
im going to buy my wife a mech keyboard, but with my only exp being with whites it is hard to make an informed choice. i've received great info here so far but you are the first person who can actualy give me a true comparison:)

The whites aren't really comparable to the blues. The actuation, tactile feel, and non-click action leave very few similarities in feel.

Whites are somewhat difficult to describe, they have a somewhat high actuation force, a "plateau" or "notch" of tactile resistance, and then they bottom out. They are one of the easiest switches not to bottom out on.

The blues have the tactile point, a click, and bottom out very easily in comparison. The blues also have a disjointed click/tactile mechanism that doesn't exactly line up.

It's amazing the difference springs and the shape of the tactile leaf make in a switch.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline mike2h

legend tactile.
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 12:19:35 »
maybe comparison was the wrong word. i was looking for an opinion of other switches using the whites as a reference as they are the only thing i know.
anyway, u gave me the info i wanted. tyvm:)

Offline timw4mail

legend tactile.
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 12:33:52 »
Quote from: ripster;120048
Tim, are you talking about the Cherry White clones in your Chicony and Qtronix?  They may be different from the branded ones.

No, I'm not. Those are clicky, like a weird combination of the Cherry White and Blue.

I have a white cherry switch, and I've tried a friend's Tactile Deck.
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline d4rkst4r

legend tactile.
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 13:25:39 »
Quote from: mike2h;120026

The cherry blues have a nice feel and good actuation force - not too heavy, not too light. The show stopper for me is the high pitched clicking sound they make. I just can't live with it on a daily basis.

I really prefer the cherry browns over anything else right now. They're the right combination of actuation force, tactility, and noise level. My keyboard of choice is the Filco FKB104M/EB in Italian Red with the blue WASD keys. This is a great typing experience as well as a great looking board.  IMHO, you will not regret buying a Filco with cherry browns.

As for the cherry whites, gaming is probably the best application for them. They're much better to type on than the linear cherry blacks of the Steelseries7G and other Deck boards.

Quote from: timw4mail;120035
The whites aren't really comparable to the blues. The actuation, tactile feel, and non-click action leave very few similarities in feel.

Whites are somewhat difficult to describe, they have a somewhat high actuation force, a "plateau" or "notch" of tactile resistance, and then they bottom out. They are one of the easiest switches not to bottom out on.

The blues have the tactile point, a click, and bottom out very easily in comparison. The blues also have a disjointed click/tactile mechanism that doesn't exactly line up.

It's amazing the difference springs and the shape of the tactile leaf make in a switch.

I agree with this assessment of whites vs. blues - very accurate description of the actuation.

mike2h, the dilemma is you really can't depend on my recommendation. You need to try the different switches to develop your own opinions. It may even take time with any given keyboard to determine if you like it. Even then, your wife may have a totally different preference.

Offline itlnstln

legend tactile.
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 13:36:09 »
I see semantics confusion a-brewing.

Offline itlnstln

legend tactile.
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 14:05:30 »
Quote from: ripster;120074
Chloe... may be wrong.

I would seriously doubt this.

Offline 1839cc

legend tactile.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 14:38:59 »
Quote from: itlnstln;120082
I would seriously doubt this.
As would I.

From the GeekHack Wiki "Mechanical Switch Keyboards Sorted By Switch" entry:
For Cherry MX Switch Force diagrams see the Cherry Corp Data Sheet. Page 3 is what you want. The MX with Tactile Feel(ergonomic) = Cherry Browns. The MX with click Tactile Feel = Cherry Blues. MX Linear Actuation = Cherry Blacks (page 5 for glossary). For a sampling of force graphs for other switches see this website.  Or, you can do a simple test if you own the keyboard.

The datasheet also indicates the peg on clicky switches only.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline mike2h

legend tactile.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 14:53:10 »
Ooooo... Post pics.  Wanna see.

Yeah, I would agree that it would better if you guys called them Cherry Clears or the Cherry key nomenclature will get as confusing as the ALPS - and that is BAD.

Now according to Chloe the clears don't have a peg on them but she may be wrong.  I've never seen a pic of the Cherry Whites (MX1A-A) vs Cherry Clears (MX1A-C).
Show Image

well that looks 'white' to me & is definelty my switch- no peg. so i guess clear means white & white means really white? lol.
 either way i really like my 'clears', & with all the great info from u guys looks like my wife gets cherry brown switches- seems like a great all round switch & a good compromise when u just arent sure. now got to start saving ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2009, 14:57:24 by mike2h »

Offline itlnstln

legend tactile.
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 15:22:24 »
Quote from: mike2h;120103
well that looks 'white' to me & is definelty my switch- no peg. so i guess clear means white & white means really white? lol.
either way i really like my 'clears', & with all the great info from u guys looks like my wife gets cherry brown switches- seems like a great all round switch & a good compromise when u just arent sure. now got to start saving ;)

There was a picture posted here some time ago comparing the two.  The white is a "flat" white while the clear is much more translucent.  While it's not apparent in isolation, when they're placed side-by-side, the difference is pretty obvious.

Offline timw4mail

legend tactile.
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 15:26:08 »
Fine, it's the 'cloud' Cherry switch.

Offline d4rkst4r

legend tactile.
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 15:41:02 »
Ooooo... Post pics.  Wanna see.

Just for you ripster......let's see if I can figure out this attachment thingamajig.

Offline itlnstln

legend tactile.
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 15:58:48 »
Chole comes through again!  See here: http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0146/0900766b8014611b.pdf

MX1A-Axxx is the white Cherry while MX1A-Cxxx is the clear.  Cherry, themselves, makes this same distinction on page 6 (the last page) of this document.

Original thread: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=68905

Offline roaduck

legend tactile.
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 23 September 2009, 19:46:18 »
I`m glad that you have discovered the joys of typing on a decent electo-mechanical keyboard mike2h.I myself only got my first second-hand IBM model M this week and I absolutely adore it already.
Did you read the comprehensive positive review at http://www.dansdata.com/deck.htm ?
      I would probably get one with a separate keypad but they aren`t sold in Britain and importing one here would probably cost me $300 plus.
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask