Author Topic: Time For Another Custom Board  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Time For Another Custom Board
« on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 21:49:17 »
Last Summer I made this https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61141.0 and it was an awesome process that taught me a ton. I think I've finally found some Blue Alps and that means it's time for another custom board project. The idea will be essentially the same but this time I'm going all out so no JD style case, ITS CNC ALU TIME *****ES!!

Yeah the basic idea will be a programmable 65ish% board similar to the KMAC Mini but I'll be swapping the function key block for a numpad because they belong on the left :p . I'll be documenting the entire process much better than my last board and posting all my ramblings here. Hopefully it'll help someone. Also there's a slim chance I open this up for 1 or 2 people to join (You can't call dibs yet)

Goals

65% Blue Alps board with a numpad on the left
cnc case
carbon or anodized alu backplate
a standardish layout so finding caps will be easier

This is the first layout, it may change a bit but I'm not sure yet
More
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Time For Another Custom Board Project
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 21:49:23 »
reserved
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Time For Another Custom Board
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 21:52:03 »
Niiice.  Do you already have a fabricator in mind for milling a case?  What will you be using to design it?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 21:54:34 »
Love the layout! Best of luck on the designing and I will keep my eye posted on the potential spots.  :thumb:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 21:55:15 »
Niiice.  Do you already have a fabricator in mind for milling a case?  What will you be using to design it?

No not yet, I was going to ask for some good places later. At this point I'm kinda hoping I can convince my boss to let me hijack a CNC machine for a bit.  :))

For the design I'm using KiCAD for the PCB, AutoCAD for the plate, and either Inventor or SolidWorks for the case.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 22:06:42 »
Looks interesting, excited to see the results
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 22:10:47 »
Might I recommend FreeCAD for the 3D design. I've been using it for my Kishsaver 60 case plans and I've really grown to like it.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 22:14:43 »
Might I recommend FreeCAD for the 3D design. I've been using it for my Kishsaver 60 case plans and I've really grown to like it.

Thanks but I'll probably stick with Inventor and SolidWorks because I already have the licenses for them.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 22:18:39 »
Yeah if you have the means, you can't beat Solidworks.  I wish I had access to those tools.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 22:20:30 »
Agreed. If you can get a hold of or access to Solidworks, it's the best CAD program I've found.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 22:21:46 »
Yeah if you have the means, you can't beat Solidworks.  I wish I had access to those tools.

Agreed. If you can get a hold of or access to Solidworks, it's the best CAD program I've found.

I use it at work all the time, it just makes sense and everything is where you want it.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 12:47:19 »
Definitely can't go wrong with free access to Solidworks!

The shop where I used to work (I'm no longer in the trade) has MasterCam with an add-on for reading Solidworks files, but no way to actually create/edit them. I usually send them a STEP file exported from
FreeCAD. So far I've never had any trouble with that.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 17:19:49 »
Love the numpad on the left!   :thumb: