Author Topic: Where to buy Clear keycap for Model M  (Read 3526 times)

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
Where to buy Clear keycap for Model M
« on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 07:06:25 »
Hi, I would like to ask where can i buy Clear Keycap for IBM Model M? Thanks
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Where to buy Clear keycap for Model M
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 08:54:21 »
Clear keycaps exist for Model Ms? Or do you mean relegendables? I'm curious either way since I'm not sure I've heard of either.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 19:34:45 »
I have only heard of Fentek and Unicomp making Model M keycaps, and I don't think either made clear (i.e. transparent) ones.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 20:40:59 »
Yes I mean the Clear (Transparent) keycaps.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 20:51:48 »
Yes I mean the Clear (Transparent) keycaps.

I have transparent Key caps for the Model M (relegendable type), if that is what your talking about.

http://www.fentek-ind.com/keys.htm#.VWEtgSuUdeo

look at the very bottom of the page, they may still have them. I have never ordered from them.

Also, mine came with the 50 key that berserkfan sold me. He has one currently for sale. It looks like that might have them.

WTS 50 key Model M/F Hybrid

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62921.0

Now I read back, I am still confused as to if you mean clear stem as well as cap, or just cap so you can make your own legend?

Also how many are you looking for?

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 09:18:39 »
Just the Clear Cap, not the stem. I will need around 200 Clear Caps ( I don't need the stems )
Fendtek seems to sell the cap but it's so expensive.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 May 2015, 09:47:12 by joneslee85 »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 17:29:44 »
Just the Clear Cap, not the stem. I will need around 200 Clear Caps ( I don't need the stems )

I think Fentek may be your only shot. I don't think they would exist in that quantity any where else. The old ones have a browny tinge anyway. Its not really noticeable but you may have to ask if they would do a bulk discount or something.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 18:20:34 »

Note that there are at least four different generations of clear IBM keytops. the 4704 boards and some 122-key model F have them but they are usually Generation 1 &3. New fentek production is likely Generation 4 (which is much nicer and I believe made from PC)

In that QTY your best bet is to contact unicomp. They might have some. I know Webwit got some from them but I don't know if they have more.

EDIT: It is not obvious where he got them. I suspect fentek looking at it again.

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 23:17:39 »
Thanks for the info. Clear caps on my Model F 50 looks indeed brownish. Will need to contact Fendtek to see if they can provide bulk discount.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 12:35:38 »
Those were purchased from us, so those are the current Clear Model M keycaps we offer. Clear and smooth sides, with a slight texture on the top which is basically invisible unless painted or tilted under the correct lighting.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 12:39:57 »
PS.....we are basically closing out our Model M inventory, so what remains of our colored or clear stock is gone when we sell out.  If there is anything you are contemplating, you might want to jump before it is too late.
Email us with any color or quantity interests.........Thanks

PS...we only offer standard 1X size keycaps, no modifiers or stems.