Author Topic: Codename: Weaven  (Read 21200 times)

Offline SixtyLife

Re: Codename: Weaven
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 20:48:06 »
I'd buy this in a heartbeat. hands down the most beautiful 60% plate and case I've seen!
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 00:20:39 »
Hey I'm back :p

Thank you people for the award KotM, that was really a surprised to me ;D I've been wandering around some last days, since you guys seem to love the keyboard very much, I'm doing a second prototype to fix some design flaws on the original one posted here, this might be the final one to go if a group buy may ever happen in a short time, I may soon open an IC but that'll be later, and now, here is the new CF plate for the proto2 :thumb:

As you may notice the cut outs for switch are kind of weird, this is what we come up with after the experience with the first plate, the common square cut or openable cut with squared side is actually  not suitable to machine on carbon fiber. This is due to the fiber character of the material, any small corner would easily get broken. This in fact cause little to no affects to the typing experience or assembling but make the plate appear very much like an unfinished, flawed piece of work so, you know what I meant :D

Also, here is a traditional stainless steel plate being laser cut, I made this one to have an idea of how it would be different between using SS plate and CF plate in the Weaven, well, SS as you can easily guess, is much heavier, and not as sturdy as CF though, but you can have a shiny surface to compliment the LEDs in the other hand :))

That's it at the moment, I also had a new 4-piece frame made to come with this, I'll get back with it hopefully another couples of days, so stay tune :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2015, 00:23:28 by bazh »
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 05:48:02 »
That looks so nice!

Can you go into more detail about the issues you ran into with previous plate cutouts? Was the breakage an issue during just assembly, or also during usage? I ask because it doesn't bode well for another carbon fiber case group buy that's going on which uses the typical cutouts.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 06:13:28 »
Looking forward to seeing the proto2.

Offline Hzza

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 06:58:28 »
Nice little case this, following with interest.

Don't suppose you know if it is/will be GH60 compatible?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 07:12:23 »
Nice little case this, following with interest.

Don't suppose you know if it is/will be GH60 compatible?

Should be, the pcb in the Op seems to be one of Sprit Pcb, which is a standard 60%.
Actually is there any non standard 60% PCB nowadays?

And since it's not using the regular 60% standoffs and instead the pcb is sliding in between 2 layers , even pcb not using the regular stanfoffs should fit.

Correct me if I'm wrong based Bazh.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Hzza

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 07:19:11 »
That was my line of thinking as well, thought I'd double check though.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 07:38:08 »
yes the 60% should all be fit in Weaven case no matter what positions of standoffs the pcb uses

well, the cutouts, if you look at my stainless steel plate above, you'll notice that the cut for switches-opening ability have small pieces like a small square in the corners, which turns out, on the carbon fiber plate these little pieces will be broken and as a result the holes turn rounded corner, this happen every where there's small corners or small pieces of materials left between cuts

of course it does not affect you on actual use but it left marks and feels like the plate was broken, which I don't like, so I decided to go with the rounded clean cut for better look
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 07:45:32 »
I really like this keyboard. The design of the case is clever. I do have a question: how important are green tea Kit Kats to the operation of this keyboard? I see that they're in most of the pictures in the OP.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 14:39:20 »
I love this case design.

What are you using on the bottom of the keyboard to prop it up so you have a better angle for typing?

Please post more photos :D

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:40:38 »
That's awesome. How much did it cost overall?

If not too pricey, that's definitely something I would buy.
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline Den441

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 21:15:27 »
Amazing design and execution on this! I would definitely be down for a spot in a GB for one. Hope to see more soon.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:27:15 by Den441 »
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline boTy

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 13:29:54 »
:O This is awesome! Probably one of the, if not the best looking board i've ever seen.