Author Topic: Embarrassing problem with character input in OSX  (Read 2850 times)

Offline chuckading

Embarrassing problem with character input in OSX
« on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 02:12:50 »
Hey guys, I've had quite the time searching on the internet for the answer to my problem, but no success. Maybe someone here will know how to resolve my complication in OSX.

I made a youtube video w/ my iphone to demonstrate the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQpm85dgH_U

Thanks..

Offline rdh

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 02:44:19 »
I suspect you've accidentally set your input method settings to something you're not used to.  (Did you press command-space or option-command-space recently?   That cycles through the list of ones you have enabled.)

Do you have a little flag icon in the top menu bar, near the right?

If not, you can turn it on by going to System Preferences > International, click on the 'Input Menu' tab, then make sure the 'Show input menu in menu bar' is checked.

If you click the flag icon, you should get a menu with a list of the input methods you've enabled, one of which will be checked.  Try selecting some of the other ones to see if you still have the same quote behavior.  

For example, Apple's 'U.S.' and 'U.S. Extended' don't show that behavior, but the 'U.S. International' input method I installed myself does.
at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline rdh

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 03:03:26 »
I installed the 'U.S. International' input method from here; but that page says it's built-in if you have upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Offline chuckading

Thanks RDH
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 03:07:16 »
Thanks a ton RDH... the problem first started after I installed the driver for my HHKB Pro 2 on my macbook.  But... this problem did not occur with another Mac that I also installed the driver on... so, I don't want to blame it on that.

Thanks again, I don't think I would have been able to sleep tonight w/ that annoying yellow box!

Offline rdh

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 03:08:42 »
What does the driver do for you?  I've always used mine without the driver.

Offline chuckading

Good question...
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 03:19:51 »
Well... after reading on PFU's site as well as Elitekeyboards... that the driver is recommended, I haven't tried it without the driver installed.  During the install though.. it almost all in Japanese...so.. I just went w/ the flow and always chose the far right option..

I do have the volume up and down, mute and eject keys working, but I'm not sure if those would work w/o the driver.. so I installed the driver from the get go.  

Do those keys work for you? If so... I guess the driver is useless..

Another thing to mention is that when selecting modifier keys, it does list the keyboard as "HHKB Professional".

And yes... i've been pressing command and spacebar.. but I use that for spotlight, etc.

Thanks again RDH!

Offline rdh

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 03:36:21 »
I didn't install the driver simply because I couldn't read the notes.  :-)

Volume works (including mute), power key works, I see the correct keyboard name in the modifier key settings.
One thing that does NOT work is the eject button.
Not sure what else to check.

I assume the driver isn't entirely useless, or they wouldn't have bothered to provide it.  I suppose I ought to ask the elitekeyboard folks.

Majestouch, are you reading this thread?

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 14:01:56 »
Hi chuckading,

It looks like you have some european language setup as your primary input method, did you check this out? It's in the System Preferences, go to the View menu and select Language & Text. Let me know what you see.

The keyboard will identify itself over USB without the drivers, but all function keys will not work without them.

Offline chuckading

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 15:02:40 »
Majestouch,

All is fixed now... What RDH mentioned is what my problem was.. My input source was checked for "US International - PC".  I have since changed it to US Extended" with no other input options selected, and I no longer have this problem.  I shouldn't even say problem, it was just a setting that I didn't know how to find.

Offline rdh

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 22:43:31 »
Quote from: majestouch;122606

The keyboard will identify itself over USB without the drivers, but all function keys will not work without them.

Hm, interesting.  Most of the "Fn"-key combos seem to work for me without the driver.

I have a HHKB Pro, not a Pro 2, and I do have the dip switches set to "Mac" mode.