Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
Hello!
« on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 02:29:12 »
Hello Everyone,

I've had my mechanical keyboard for almost two years now and I still absolutely love the way it feels (blue switches for life). Just found this website today while looking at custom key caps and thought I'd sign up. I'm an engineer, machinist and designer and I'm thinking of taking a stab at custom key caps via a CNC machine.  Or maybe I'll just spend all my money on some of these sweet artisan caps.

-Ramage

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 20:02:40 »
sup, good to see another LA member.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 05:25:24 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Which keyboard have you got?

I'm not sure that anyone CNC's keycaps, but if you let slip that you have access to a CNC machine people might start pestering you about making cases!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 20:28:10 »
I have a Razer Blackwidow with the number pad and 5 macro keys.  At the time it was the cheapest keyboard I could find through main online stores. Definitely wish I had spent more time picking out a different keyboard. I was just itching to get a mechanical after learning about them.

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 20:32:28 »

I'm not sure that anyone CNC's keycaps, but if you let slip that you have access to a CNC machine people might start pestering you about making cases!

Well first I need to see what kind of quality I can get out my machine. It's not an industrial grade it's just something I've been building in my spare time. Nearly done though. I'll be trying various grades of wood first since I haven't seen hardly any wood key caps on this website.

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
Hello!
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 00:57:52 »
Hi! Good to see someone with technical skill here :)

Maybe can talk with me about some project? I PM~

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 05:57:07 »
I have a Razer Blackwidow with the number pad and 5 macro keys.  At the time it was the cheapest keyboard I could find through main online stores. Definitely wish I had spent more time picking out a different keyboard. I was just itching to get a mechanical after learning about them.

It's a start!

The only way from here is up now :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 06:01:07 »

It's a start!

and down for your wallet... :D :D
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 06:17:49 »

It's a start!

and down for your wallet... :D :D

+1