Author Topic: GMK + Costar - Issues+Solutions  (Read 6122 times)

Offline KHAANNN

GMK + Costar - Issues+Solutions
« on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 10:11:34 »
Issue 1: R3/Enter needs the inserts to be clipped and fastened - clipping is similar to the requirements of the DSA Enter/Shift - easy to do - the other stabilised keys also benefit from fastening, this is the method I use: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70296.0
Cause: The R3 is pretty short, the insert doesn't go all the way in

Issue 2: All the stabilised keys rub the wire, they need to be sanded, I would appreciate sanding advice at this point, otherwise I'm just going to go in there with some sandpaper, which seems like the logical thing to do at this point
Cause: The keycaps are thick, it might also have to do with the slider being closer than usual to the keycap in my case, but I'm guessing it should be a common problem

And before someone suggests me to use cherry stabs, I would rather stay with costars and go through all these :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 July 2015, 10:14:14 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline skuko

Re: GMK + Costar - Issues+Solutions
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 10:59:09 »
i don't know. for some reason, the wire doesn't "always" touch the key. i use masking tape for the inserts and when i use a sufficient enough piece of it, the key sits just right and doesn't grind on the wire. right now, i use 1 GMK set on my boards here (orange on charcoal) and IMSTO thick pbt set on my other board. do you want photos of the underside of the keys?

btw. i do have OCD when it comes to the stab wires grinding the keys, so i am pretty happy about it now :)

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 11:48:13 »
i don't know. for some reason, the wire doesn't "always" touch the key. i use masking tape for the inserts and when i use a sufficient enough piece of it, the key sits just right and doesn't grind on the wire. right now, i use 1 GMK set on my boards here (orange on charcoal) and IMSTO thick pbt set on my other board. do you want photos of the underside of the keys?

btw. i do have OCD when it comes to the stab wires grinding the keys, so i am pretty happy about it now :)

The usage of masking tape is a great idea, thanks for that one, I will certainly try it

I wouldn't want you to remove any keys for me

Since I'm going to use my current board for a short amount of time I didn't even apply the tightening method, only applied it to the Enter since I clipped the inserts too, and funnily the Enter is the worst

This board has stabiliser placement issues, so if there is a 0.1mm margin for the keycap to clear the wire, I'm probably over that margin a bit :)

I can hear the wire gently touch the keycap, I lubed that part, so the keys are usable, however I'm guessing I will have to sand the keycaps before my ocd sooths :)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:08:12 »
By the way, drilling the keycap this much was absolutely necessary in my case

107792-0

I tested each keycap on a test plate, alone, with a linear switch, to eliminate additional sounds/tactility to be able to observe exactly what's wrong / what's touching what

At first I thought the middle part of the wire was touching the keycap, and it was, however, after drilling the middle part of the keycap, I also noticed that the slider-bases and the wire are touching the keycap too, so I ended up drilling off the seen parts on all my keycaps

Combined with this modification, It was a huge success for me personally: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72076.0

This is the drill bit I used: http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=83322 - the outside of the keycap remains as it is, however I'm not sure whether the drilling would let light shine-through (probably not, since it likely reduces 2mm to 1mm)

I finally achieved a pure keypress experience, without rubbing, without clicking, without clumsiness, without stiffness, however the cost was high

Cherry stab issues isn't as approachable as costar stab issues, however, it might be a good idea to seek a cherry stab setup to avoid the drilling, I did, but I couldn't find decent aftermarket plate-mount cherry stab - the ortholinear ones had a thicker than optimal wire that almost rendered the switch unusable, so I sticked with Costar - it worked out

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 23:29:42 »
Nice!!!  I find this has prevented me from using any thick keycap recently since I absolutely hate the feeling of keycap rubbing stabilizer wire.

Also I was trying to find a nondestructive approach but seems like this is the only way.

Maybe time for me to invest in a dremel lol.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline skuko

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 03:16:44 »
for some odd reason, my costar wires in combination with the DSA profile result in a problem-free experience on the Varmilo VA87MR. i have the cranite on at the moment and none of the stabilized keys grind. i will install the orange on charcoal GMK tonight and report back.

the only thing i know for certain is that the orange on charcoal is not completely optimal on my filco (as far as i can tell, i don't have it here at the moment), but it's bearable. i do not want want to sand/dremel the caps unless absolutely necessary, just in case i'd want to sell them (yes i know it's a heresy to sell GMK caps) :P
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 August 2015, 03:18:52 by skuko »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 08:38:49 »
The Shift and Enter seems to have it easier on the Cherry profile but the Spacebar and Backspace have a smaller margin as far as I observed, the DSA indeed clears well as it's thin and the stem is not recessed, similarly, I didn't notice any issues with SA either, as it's also not recessed and the bottom of the keycap is thin, I previously thought it was a shortcoming of the design, but it might as well be a design feature to support costar stabs, overall, SA keycaps are the best for costar stabs (as the inserts don't need to be clipped either) if you don't mind the extreme height of the profile (probably around 3x of cherry, since I keep my arms on the desk while typing, it wasn't for me) - With OEM's, I didn't experiment, however, with thin WASD's, I'm guessing the keycaps clear too (I remember a plastic sound that disturbed me on my first keyboard, a WASD V2 with reds, but I'm guessing it was the stabiliser insert issue that I linked before, didn't re-visit OEM's after these experiments)

I have a portable 8000* dremel and an 3000* set that came with this one: http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-225-01-Flex-Shaft-Attachment/dp/B0000302Y8/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1439213028&sr=1-4&keywords=dremel+3000 (the hobby 3000 kit as far as I remember) - If you're going to buy a dremel for this task, I suggest buying one that comes with this flex shaft, it eases engraving significantly, at the lowest speed, the grinding bit I linked earlier was pretty safe, It didn't heat/melt the keycap (ABS softens around 100C, so heat-wise it was pretty safe) - at the beginning I also slipped a couple of times, touched the top of a keycap once, but no damage was done, I also touched my hand a couple of times with the engraver, it seems ~safe too (it's a great grinding bit, it grinds heavily only when you push it, when you don't, it just sands slowly), but don't take my word for it :)

After doing this grinding a couple of times, it comes naturally now, at the beginning I was marking where to grind, but currently I just start with the stabiliser stem-holder area, grind the middle area well (the entire width of the bend should be cleared, not just the top of the bend), and grind the areas in-between so the wire clears without issues - it probably takes 3-4 minutes at most

(off topic) - as a comparison of profiles and stabs, SA+costar was the best combination I tried, GMK keycaps are thick too, comparatively the bottom of the SA keycaps are thin, but the sound characteristics of SA were more enjoyable, however, the SA profile is definitely not for everyone and it's very challenging on multiple levels (There are no R4 Shifts, the R4 and R1 are angles too extreme on opposite directions that limit the optimal usage significantly etc.), so GMK+costar was still the winner for me (those scoops tho ...)
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 August 2015, 11:18:15 by KHAANNN »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 22:00:11 »
One thing to keep note that SA has many arrangement  and variation.  Most of them are very sculpted and I don't really like it.

HOWEVER the Filco version of SA is 332222, so only the top 2 row have a very slight angle and the rest is flat.

I'm actually gonna pick one up when I go to Japan in 3 weeks.  But I feel like that should have a closer typing feel to OEM profile and should be more widely acceptable by most.

:thumb:

http://keypuller.com/high-profile-double-shot-by-filco/

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 22:14:00 »
One thing to keep note that SA has many arrangement  and variation.  Most of them are very sculpted and I don't really like it.

HOWEVER the Filco version of SA is 332222, so only the top 2 row have a very slight angle and the rest is flat.

I'm actually gonna pick one up when I go to Japan in 3 weeks.  But I feel like that should have a closer typing feel to OEM profile and should be more widely acceptable by most.

Let's start a joint GB for a set instead, since we seem to agree on profile and no one else seems to put extreme thought on SA profile/usage (I mean 443211 with R3 shifts is just ... I never considered 332222 before) - a mono coloured white on GPA: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/absgray.jpg - with a diverse set of add-on's could be interesting

Even gathering 20 people would produce semi-satisfying costs with SP, I would probably buy 3 sets myself

Edit: Actually 333222 seems a bit better :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 August 2015, 22:53:08 by KHAANNN »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 22:43:17 »
Hmmmmm 333222 do sound interesting.  I wish we have samples so we can test it out.

Though on the other hand I feel like Filco might have done their research to decide on 332222, again would be cool if we find samples to play with haha.

But yes a group buy would be good too lol.

Offline skuko

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 04:09:16 »

i'm selling mine, since i don't really like the profile :)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61539.0

Offline Hyde

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 12:47:03 »

But.... but..... but..... it's cheaper here:  http://www.keyboardco.com/product/double_shot_filco_104_key_usa_keyset.asp

:P

Though I guess they're out of stock lol.

Offline SL89

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 12:51:57 »
Filco doubleshot SA is 223333 iirc. SP goes Top to bottom with their numbers.

Offline skuko

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 07:42:37 »

But.... but..... but..... it's cheaper here:  http://www.keyboardco.com/product/double_shot_filco_104_key_usa_keyset.asp

:P

Though I guess they're out of stock lol.

you probably forgot to include VAT :)
46.80 British Pound equals
65.86 Euro
currency conversion by google. mine came straight from japan :)