Author Topic: ESD protection during keyboard assembly  (Read 1491 times)

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
ESD protection during keyboard assembly
« on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 12:25:52 »
When working on a keyboard PCB I have typically used ESD protective mats, ESD safe tools (tweezers, solder sucker) and generally try to minimize the chance of ESD because I don't want to fry or add to the cumulation of static electricity on a difficult to replace \PCB. But then I see a video of someone building a rare/pricey keyboard on their computer desk with apparently no concern...

I'm not looking for NASA-grade ESD prevention, but I also don't want to go overboard if it's not a big concern.

What are reasonable steps to take to prevent ESD when assembling?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: ESD protection during keyboard assembly
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 12:34:30 »
I've never really been concerned about ESD when building boards. But when I build boards I usually also assemble the PCB myself so I have replacements if something were to break.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 21:20:33 »
It is good to observe common ESD-safe practices as you say you already do.  That should be enough.  I have built computers wearing non-plastic clothes with a concrete floor and zero ESD protection and gotten away with it.  One of the guys in one of my previous (electronics repair) shops where I worked would jokingly say "ESD is a myth!" when someone started making a fuss about the ESD mats having a sheet of paper on them or some similarly overly-anal thing.

You're doing fine.  You don't have to go nuts.  But if you work over carpet, in plastic shoes, plastic socks, and plastic clothes, on a dry winter day . . . have a spare controller handy for when your keyboard dies!
Jesus loves you.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 06:15:29 »
Great, I appreciate the feedback! :)