Author Topic: New user looking for advice on Model F  (Read 2154 times)

Offline JohnDoe77

New user looking for advice on Model F
« on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 22:53:34 »
Hi. New user here. Currently using a Model M 42H1292. It's pretty nice, but I've heard the Model F is even better.

I just so happen to have one. It's a Model F AT. It looks exactly like this one:

I found it in my dad's garage and he let me have it. It is dirty, so I need to recondition it. I also need to convert it to USB and convert it to ANSI. Is there some guide I can follow to do all that?

One concern I have is that it only has F1-F10. F11 and F12 are missing. Is there some easy way to solve it? Having to re-learn my hotkeys would be annoying.

Sorry for being clueless. I'm a total beginner.

Offline JohnDoe77

Re: New user looking for advice on Model F
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 22:56:07 »
By the way, I know this is not the correct place to post this. I'm not sure where I should, though. Could someone direct me to the appropriate board to ask for advice?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 22:58:23 »
Well, if you do one of the converters, you can create a function layer.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 23:00:27 »
You should put a new controller in it an program a function layer on your board for f11 and f12 on f1 and f2.
You might as well since you require a new controller for the ANSI mod.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline JohnDoe77

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 23:04:39 »
I assume "converter" is a Soarer's converter, right? People mentioned that on other sites. How do I get/make one of those? Is there a comprehensive guide or did someone else document their own repair/upgrade process so I can follow along?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 23:07:02 »
There's xwhatsit and soarer's.  I don't know the functional differences between the two since I haven't used either, but I know some people prefer the xwhatsit.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 23:09:34 »
Orihalcon has the AT to USB Soarer's converter on Ebay.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64670.0

The one you want to get is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-XT-AT-to-USB-Soarers-Converter-Remapping-Macros-NKRO-Support-IBM-Model-F-/281476427201

Please read on the notes at the bottom of the page to fully understand what it does and how it works.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 02:20:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

For an F122 ISO to ANSI conversion, look here.  The same principal should apply to your Model F.

And a good place to post questions (or to create your own build thread) would be making stuff together (where, incidentally,. the other thread I linked is located).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ