Author Topic: POK3R LEDs?  (Read 8028 times)

Offline snevok

POK3R LEDs?
« on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 11:16:29 »
I know there is a POK3R LED version coming out sometime, but is it possible to install LEDs into a normal one?  I am getting mixed signals on whether you can do this or not.  Rhinofeed said it is possible to install dual color LEDs in it, and the resistors are built into the PCB.  Can anybody clarify whether this is possible or not?  This is the deciding factor for whether I buy this keyboard or not, and I want to be 100% sure before I spend the money on it.  Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: POK3R LEDs?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 11:21:00 »
These two pictures seem to show that the PCB does have resistors and holes that will allow LED installation. But I'm not sure if the rest of the PCB is setup to accommodate LED lighting.

https://www.keychatter.com/2015/04/08/keyboard-potpourri-planck-pcbs-for-sale-first-pok3r-review-matias-alps-keycaps-available/

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-poker-iii-compact-keyboard

Offline snevok

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 11:48:48 »
Yup, I saw that too. There are no many conflicting thoughts on whether it would work or not. Some say yes, others no, some even say dual color support. I think it should be possible, I just have yet to find someone that has done it.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 21:36:53 »
I just have yet to find someone that has done it.

This is what I'd like to know. I only know that it's possible due to pictures of the PCB, but maybe people are still in the "honeymoon" phase with their Poker 3 and are too afraid to try  :-\

Also, I saw you posted this question elsewhere on the interwebs, do let us know if you find someone who did it outside of GH.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 22:03:28 »
AFAIK, dual colour LEDs require three leads, and there are only two LED pads, so it looks like only single colour support. It *looks* like there are traces running to the LED pads, but I haven't seen a good enough shot of the PCB yet to be able to tell how the traces are laid out.

If you have a multimeter, you can probably test each pad and see if there's any potential reaching the pad. You'd want to test for a potential difference between the ground pin of the IC and the anode (+). Of course, if they've done something really weird with the wiring of the board, this might break something, and I wouldn't be able to say for sure without looking at the board myself.

This will only work if the firmware is actually set to light LEDs if present, and only if the SMD resistors are installed.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline snevok

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 08:37:10 »
I just have yet to find someone that has done it.

This is what I'd like to know. I only know that it's possible due to pictures of the PCB, but maybe people are still in the "honeymoon" phase with their Poker 3 and are too afraid to try  :-\

Also, I saw you posted this question elsewhere on the interwebs, do let us know if you find someone who did it outside of GH.
Will do, I just ordered one with MX Greens and some badass keycaps, the only thing that would make it perfect would be white backlight.  When it comes in, I'm gonna test to see if it works with LEDs before I solder them in.  I just decided to get it whether or not it has support for LEDs because its the coolest looking keyboard other than the HHKB IMO.

Offline snevok

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 08:40:14 »
AFAIK, dual colour LEDs require three leads, and there are only two LED pads, so it looks like only single colour support. It *looks* like there are traces running to the LED pads, but I haven't seen a good enough shot of the PCB yet to be able to tell how the traces are laid out.

If you have a multimeter, you can probably test each pad and see if there's any potential reaching the pad. You'd want to test for a potential difference between the ground pin of the IC and the anode (+). Of course, if they've done something really weird with the wiring of the board, this might break something, and I wouldn't be able to say for sure without looking at the board myself.

This will only work if the firmware is actually set to light LEDs if present, and only if the SMD resistors are installed.
I don't have a multimeter, but if you want I could post a good picture/video of the PCB and where the traces lead to since I actually haven't seen many online.  Maybe that could help not only you but other people with similar questions.

Offline snevok

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:34:31 »
After doing some digging, some people have said they have tried it, but with no success.  There are in fact resistors and leads to the holes, but the LEDs do not light.  For the LED Pok3r, there is either going to be a whole different PCB or the same one as the current one with an updated firmware.  If it is the firmware direction, there might be a way to flash that onto the non-LED Pok3r, but only time will tell.  For the meantime, it doesn't look promising.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 15:58:03 »
I ordered one through Massdrop and planned on installing LEDs after the fact, so I hope you're wrong.  :-\  We'll see.

Offline snevok

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 07:07:00 »
I ordered one through Massdrop and planned on installing LEDs after the fact, so I hope you're wrong.  :-\  We'll see.
Hope I'm wrong too.  Please Please PLEASE either reply to this thread or PM me once you figure it out for sure.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 10:10:42 »
Based on the comments here and on MD, I cancelled my order.

Offline physicalist

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 12:19:35 »
There is a new firmware version which adds support for LEDs:
Download
Instructions

Filco Ninja TKL (Brown) w/ Pegasus Hoof

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 12:46:57 »
There is a new firmware version which adds support for LEDs:
Download
Instructions
Great news! Thanks for the links. :)
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 12:55:48 »
That's interesting. I don't particularly like backlit keyboards, but I suppose I'll play around with it a bit when I have some free time.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r