Author Topic: Cherries that are not the color of glass but pretend they are  (Read 2465 times)

Offline FourOhFour

Cherries that are not the color of glass but pretend they are
« on: Fri, 09 October 2009, 20:15:13 »
From reading threads here, the switch that interests me most is the cherry "clear" (yeah, whatever. Those photos are white.) Are there any keyboards around that aren't ugly and large (I'm looking at you Deck) with those switches, or have I just picked out something that I can't get?

And if so, are there any suggestions for something similar? I currently have a SMK-88 with blue switches. I like it, 'cept that it wobbles on my desk, the passthrough USB doesn't work, and I bottom out constantly. And, uh... a couple of the switches have suffered from spilled Orangina and don't feel quite right.

Offline Z Redux

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 October 2009, 23:44:35 »
Unfortunately, the Deck Legend Ice Tactile and Deck Legend Frost Tactile are the only keyboards available in the United States known to have clear stem Cherry MX switches.

According to majestouch (owner of EliteKeyboards), the clears are on their way out. It seems unlikely that they'll be used in any new products.

If you're really determined, you could buy some of the clear stem switches from a component distributor and swap them into a different Cherry MX keyboard. Swapping requires opening switch modules and trading springs and stems for PCB mounted keyboards or desoldering existing switches and soldering in the new ones on plate mounted keyboards.

Digikey sells the clear stem MX switches (part number MX1A-C1NW) for  approximately 96¢ per switch when ordering 100-499 switches.

-Z

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 October 2009, 05:31:32 »
I remember someone describing them as being like a slightly less stiff version of the Blacks... Cherrys tactile switches are supposedly not very tactile.

Offline FourOhFour

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 October 2009, 07:56:58 »
Quote from: Z Redux;124232
If you're really determined, you could buy some of the clear stem switches from a component distributor and swap them into a different Cherry MX keyboard. Swapping requires opening switch modules and trading springs and stems for PCB mounted keyboards or desoldering existing switches and soldering in the new ones on plate mounted keyboards.

Well, I'm not that determined. Maybe if my current keyboard were PCB mounted, but it isn't and I really don't feel like re-soldering everything

Offline Z Redux

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 October 2009, 10:31:45 »
Quote from: ripster;124292
If you find Cherry Clears in the US please post the source.

Do you mean in a keyboard, or separately?

-Z

Offline FourOhFour

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 October 2009, 11:02:14 »
Actually, depending on the keyboard sometimes it's easier to desolder and swap in new switches than to take apart each individual switch.  The Filcos are easy to desolder and swap.

Well, let's see...
Filco 87 key at $115
100 keyswitches from digikey for $96.25
totaling $211.25 plus shipping

Swap the Filco with a new SMK-88 with blacks and it's still 186.25
Of course, I could attempt it with my current SMK-88 with blues... but with my luck I'd ruin it and be out a nice keyboard.

Deck keyboard with ugly keys at $176
plus maybe a set of key caps that aren't ugly. Or put up with it. Or get a can of krylon.

Bah. I think I'll take the cheap and easy route and keep the keyboard I have. Maybe someday I'll try removing the switches that have suffered from spilled beverages and cleaning or replacing them. WD-40 made it so they aren't gummy, but they don't click and have no tactile feel. Luckily, they're page up, down, and the right arrow. And the help key, but the key cap for that one is sitting in my desk drawer.

Offline CX23882

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 October 2009, 11:14:54 »
What about the Cherry G80-3000LQCEU? You'll probably have to buy it in Germany and have it shipped to the US, but it is US ANSI layout and has the clear/white switches.

Offline FourOhFour

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 October 2009, 21:18:54 »
If you find Cherry Clears in the US please post the source.

Well, if I'm reading the wiki page right, the G80-1190HVMUS should have the not-quite-clear keyswitches, and Verical has it... but there's a minimum order of $250 which puts it out of my range. Plus the site seems to be intended for businesses, so I dunno if they'd sell to individuals in the first place. Looks sort of like an ebay for industry. $169.50 https://www.verical.com/part/95588-G80-11900HVMUS

And at barcode factory for $163, but the shipping is expensive. http://www.barcodefactory.com/website/pc/G80-11900-TouchBoard-2p2630.htm
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 October 2009, 16:15:32 by FourOhFour »