Author Topic: IBM Model M 1394540 (with speaker), $55.64 shipped  (Read 3955 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
IBM Model M 1394540 (with speaker), $55.64 shipped
« on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 03:44:25 »
IBM Model M Vintage Keyboard 1394540 06 Mar 1992 Good Condition (eBay)

One of the Model M variants made for RS/6000 computer systems. Distinctive features:

• Real speaker behind the grille

• Right Ctrl key says Ctrl/Alt

BTW, isn't it fun realizing Model M's were originally over $200—in '80s/'90s dollars? Built to last!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: IBM Model M 1394540 (with speaker), $55.64 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 07:25:25 »
Yeah from an early price quote I found somewhere I worked out that in adjusted dollars an M was $450 and an F $900! Bizarre, considering today's computer prices.

Btw, what does the speaker actually do?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 15:24:27 »
I have one of these (not currently using). Speaker does nothing normally.  Forget if ctrl-g makes it beep.

From what I recall it's difficult if not impossible to get the speaker to work with a pc.  Either there's a special cable that has an extra pin that won't be active on a pc ps/2 (must less adapter thru usb), or some other thing.  I know it's been tried, don't think it's been done successfully.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 04:49:21 »
Yeah from an early price quote I found somewhere I worked out that in adjusted dollars an M was $450 and an F $900! Bizarre, considering today's computer prices.

Yes, it was a large amount of dough for a keyboard. But I guess businesses and serious users realized they'd practically never have to replace them, that they were the last KBs they'd ever have to buy. In this respect, they're like LED lightbulbs, which still cost several times as much as CFL bulbs.

Snowdog933 explained it to me once, as he worked with RS/6000 systems.

These early networks used a method called a token ring. The computers were connected in a big circle, and empty packets of data, called "frames", were continuously sent around it. When a computer wanted to send a message to another computer, it replaced an empty frame with its data, the target computer's address, and some other required info.

Each computer checked each frame before passing it along. When it got one addressed to it, it changed the frame's "token" byte back to 0 so the sending computer knew the transmission was successful.

If the target computer was offline, a frame addressed to it went around the ring unread. After a certain number of trips (which I think the sys admin could specify), an "error" resulted and the sending computer beeped so its operator knew the transmission had failed.

I don't know why this required a speaker in the keyboard, rather than just using the computer's speaker. Maybe there was a concern that, in noisy environments, the computer speaker wouldn't be heard—so they put one right under the operator's hands.

In any case, that's all the keyboard speaker was ever used for: a simple beep indicating a network transmission error. It's an interesting bit of computing history.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 04:51:23 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 08:22:16 »
In any case, that's all the keyboard speaker was ever used for: a simple beep indicating a network transmission error. It's an interesting bit of computing history.

That's not correct.  The speaker was originally intended to emulate a keyclick sound both single and repeating but it could be used for an error beep or even general purpose like a motherboard speaker.

You can't do with with a modern PC because it doesn't drive the two pins on the PS/2 port for the speaker.  I believe the original AT can (AT port).
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:39:49 »

Yes, it was a large amount of dough for a keyboard. But I guess businesses and serious users realized they'd practically never have to replace them, that they were the last KBs they'd ever have to buy. In this respect, they're like LED lightbulbs, which still cost several times as much as CFL bulbs.

Snowdog933 explained it to me once, as he worked with RS/6000 systems.

These early networks used a method called a token ring. The computers were connected in a big circle, and empty packets of data, called "frames", were continuously sent around it. When a computer wanted to send a message to another computer, it replaced an empty frame with its data, the target computer's address, and some other required info.

Each computer checked each frame before passing it along. When it got one addressed to it, it changed the frame's "token" byte back to 0 so the sending computer knew the transmission was successful.

If the target computer was offline, a frame addressed to it went around the ring unread. After a certain number of trips (which I think the sys admin could specify), an "error" resulted and the sending computer beeped so its operator knew the transmission had failed.

I don't know why this required a speaker in the keyboard, rather than just using the computer's speaker. Maybe there was a concern that, in noisy environments, the computer speaker wouldn't be heard—so they put one right under the operator's hands.

When did I say that?  I do know the "beep" was generated by the keyboard, but I guess you confused my talking about TR topology. 

The "beep" as E29 has said, does come from the keyboard for general troubleshooting, etc.  I don't think it was used to make the keyboard "click" louder by any means.

Edit:
However, I do tend to remember there were some TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) programs that did "emulate" a keypress, but they were on AT (not RS/6000) computers.  It usually just made a small "click" sound but it came from the motherboard speaker.  More annoying than useful.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:55:14 by Snowdog993 »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 11:12:31 »
The keyclick sound was definitely an option on AIX on RS/6000, I don't how that carried over to later hardware.  I think some of the PS/2's might have the hardware set up for it but don't know if any OS took advantage of that or how it related to the internal speaker on that hardware.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 11:26:34 »
The keyclick sound was definitely an option on AIX on RS/6000, I don't how that carried over to later hardware.  I think some of the PS/2's might have the hardware set up for it but don't know if any OS took advantage of that or how it related to the internal speaker on that hardware.

I don't think I ever used that option if it were there.  Especially AIX.  Maybe it was in the setup initially.  I can't remember it.  I'm being honest.

Edit:
HOLD ON!  Was it on the expansion card that you plugged the keyboard into?  There might have been a dipswitch for it on that.  It might have been a hardware setting! (not software...)

I looked at some vintage RS/6000's and saw it had the PS/2 ports on the motherboard, no riser.  So it is just a guess there was a dip to turn on/off the speaker from the mainboard.  So, it's not from a daughterboard at all.

« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 11:47:50 by Snowdog993 »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 11:36:57 »

I don't think I ever used that option if it were there.  Especially AIX.  Maybe it was in the setup initially.  I can't remember it.  I'm being honest.

Edit:
HOLD ON!  Was it on the expansion card that you plugged the keyboard into?  There might have been a dipswitch for it on that.  It might have been a hardware setting! (not software...)

It's hazy for me as well, but it is something I remember.   Remember it annoying the hell out of me.  A little digging:

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_aix_61/com.ibm.aix.files/kbd.htm

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_aix_53/com.ibm.aix.kerneltechref/doc/ktechrf2/KSCFGCLICK.htm%23cfe3ff7292judy

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 11:51:21 »

Edit:

It's hazy for me as well, but it is something I remember.   Remember it annoying the hell out of me.  A little digging:

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_aix_61/com.ibm.aix.files/kbd.htm

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_aix_53/com.ibm.aix.kerneltechref/doc/ktechrf2/KSCFGCLICK.htm%23cfe3ff7292judy

Very interesting stuff!  I never used that for that purpose whatsoever.  Wow.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 18:42:14 »
Well, there you go—this is why it's so great to hang out here, where people can chime in with their experience. I'm perfectly willing to be wrong 'n' humble.  :?)

BTW, I would've asked Snowdog to come here and explain himself, but I didn't know if he'd want to be bothered.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 22:30:36 »
BTW, I would've asked Snowdog to come here and explain himself, but I didn't know if he'd want to be bothered.

Why would I mind at all Ander?  We did discuss Token Ring topology and there may have been software that alerted if the packets were killing the network connectivity.  That may have beeped through the keyboard Ander.

The thing I honesty did not remember was the command for the key "click" sound coming through the speaker with an AIX system.  I never used that command, and I was totally unaware of it until e29 pointed it out.  I learned from him there.

Offline ed_avis