Author Topic: Hello Geekhack!  (Read 1271 times)

Offline MobiusPC

Hello Geekhack!
« on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 17:53:16 »
Hey everyone!

I'm not very new to the mech world as I have a dirty, yet surprisingly sturdy model m at work, but I am very new to the keyboard enthusiast world. I really want a Poker II or Pok3r for my office at home and to use as a project. I fell in love with all the custom designs and hope to get in on a cool group buy that comes along eventually!

I'm the only person I know who is into mechanical keyboards (and really know what they are), but I hope to eventually meet mech keyboard enthusiasts when I move to TX, close to Austin. I look forward to awesome discussion on here!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello Geekhack!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 05:58:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A Model M will clean up surprisingly well.  My first two came with cables cut off, missing keycaps, and covered in dirt.  Now they are (although not perfect) very clean examples with all keycaps and new cables.

There are group buys all the time - bide your time, save your money, and you'll be ready :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline treefinger

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 07:35:17 »
Welcome!

Austin is a great place, I'm sure you'll be able to find other mechanical keyboard enthusiasts! It looks like there was just an event there recently for Keyboardio!: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72672.0

Enjoy gh!

Offline krbuck

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 07:51:23 »
Welcome MobiusPC. I'm new as well, but the people here are very friendly so far.

Btw, I am from Austin and just purchased a Pok3r. I introduced myself here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74565.0

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline MobiusPC

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 22:51:06 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A Model M will clean up surprisingly well.  My first two came with cables cut off, missing keycaps, and covered in dirt.  Now they are (although not perfect) very clean examples with all keycaps and new cables.

There are group buys all the time - bide your time, save your money, and you'll be ready :)

Yeah I have seen some really amazing refurb jobs on the some M's recently!

Welcome MobiusPC. I'm new as well, but the people here are very friendly so far.

Btw, I am from Austin and just purchased a Pok3r. I introduced myself here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74565.0

Welcome!

Austin is a great place, I'm sure you'll be able to find other mechanical keyboard enthusiasts! It looks like there was just an event there recently for Keyboardio!: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72672.0

Enjoy gh!

Yeah I can't wait to check out the area. I noticed QuakeCon is relatively close to where I'll be moving (Ft Hood), and DreamHack will be in Austin which I can NOT wait for.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 22:36:25 »
hello OP
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.