Author Topic: RIP KUL  (Read 4807 times)

Offline dante

RIP KUL
« on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 12:34:50 »
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming.php

Granted MK isn't stocking up on everything - prices range from $114-$119 shipped for a FC750R/FC900R.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: RIP KUL
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 12:57:03 »
Damn, that's cool they have their own branded 75% now.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 13:06:38 »
The dawn of the squirrel axis

a.k.a. KBT switch, soon also to be seen in lower-end Ducky models.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 13:14:59 »
I was mainly pointing out the Leopold models which up until recently have been $149 + around $35-$40 for shipping.  Now for $5-$10 less than KUL you can get nice thick PBT's and sound dampening mat - plus fullsize option.

I'm curious if KUL is getting out of the business.  Both EK/MK are either low on stock and/or having sales.  Might be a good time to pick one up as a collectable.

Offline Kinaesthetic

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 13:29:18 »
Do I spy with my two eyes that they are planning on finally stocking FC660Cs here in the USA :O  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 13:33:28 »
Isn't KUL kind of dead anyway considering just about every place that's sold them has been out of stock for some time? They're quasi-active on Twitter, but haven't updated their Facebook page since March.

Offline Data

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 14:07:05 »
dat 750r tho

:eek:

Offline PrinsPils

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 14:17:23 »
Isn't KUL kind of dead anyway considering just about every place that's sold them has been out of stock for some time? They're quasi-active on Twitter, but haven't updated their Facebook page since March.
Dead as in not an active company anymore? the delivery timespan for my KUL has moved from september to october. And now im reading this, im a bit worried. Should i cancel it and get something else?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 14:36:04 »
Is there a list somewhere of what all the different leopold model numbers mean?

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 15:10:08 »
Do I spy with my two eyes that they are planning on finally stocking FC660Cs here in the USA :O  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

MK already has the Gray Dyesub 660C in stock; looks like they are stocking even more with that shipment.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 15:10:43 »

MK already has the Gray Dyesub 660C in stock; looks like they are stocking even more with that shipment.

Where's dat white one at doe?

Offline dante

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 15:11:44 »

Where's dat white one at doe?

"doe"?   Don't know. I asked WideBasket when the white/gray would be restocked and was told no eta.

Offline LouisHjelmslev

• This is all so complicated
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 21:32:43 »
Damn, that's cool they have their own branded 75% now.

Yeah, but the font is pretty gross... ewwwww

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 17:20:43 »
Is KUL dead?

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 17:59:15 »
About 6 weeks ago, they indicated keyboards are going to be restocked

109888-0.

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 19:47:34 »
Sounds like KUL is not dead.

Offline Magna224

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 07:50:34 »
Those PBT ones are an awesome deal for $120! I was looking at the V80 and V60 matias but they are too much money. I'd get a used realforce instead. Someone sell me a matias CLICK keyboard for cheap!
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 09:50:22 »
The New 750r has standard spacing for the spacebar now right?

Offline ATXTider

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 12:20:25 »
The New 750r has standard spacing for the spacebar now right?

That's what folks are saying, but I have no first hand knowledge. 

I hope MK plans to stock the white/beige(?) models eventually

Offline dante

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 08:38:17 »
FYI: MechanicalKeyboards.com has a nice supply of Leopold FC750R's/FC900R's ($114-$119 shipped!) with updated photos!

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 08:42:08 »
rip in piece KUL may he rest on the keyboard heaven

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:17:02 »
FYI: MechanicalKeyboards.com has a nice supply of Leopold FC750R's/FC900R's ($114-$119 shipped!) with updated photos!

Do we know if the stabilizer spacing on the fullsize boards is standard?

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:22:58 »

Don't want to ASSume anything, but looking at the photos and knowing that the 750R is standard, I have to think the 900R follows suit. I am sorely tempted to pick up one of those 750Rs, but I wouldn't know what the heck to do with it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:24:55 »

Don't want to ASSume anything, but looking at the photos and knowing that the 750R is standard, I have to think the 900R follows suit. I am sorely tempted to pick up one of those 750Rs, but I wouldn't know what the heck to do with it.

This is my problem I really want a leopold board but I'll have to swap the switches out and don't know if it would be enough to draw me away from topre or not.

Offline ika

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:30:19 »
For anyone who missed it: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=31221.msg1860707#msg1860707

rip indeed

Will you guys be restocking KUL's?  I noticed their logo disappeared off your site a while back.

No, we will no longer be stocking Keyed Up Lab keyboards. Once we sell our remaining inventory, adios to them.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:32:14 »
This is my problem I really want a leopold board but I'll have to swap the switches out and don't know if it would be enough to draw me away from topre or not.

The standard thick PBT caps, factory-fitted silencing foam in the bottom of the case, and the price have me **this close** to pulling the trigger. But my 10th anniversary Realforce is pretty to look at, amazing to type on, and remarkably quiet for use in my office that I'm having a hard time justifying that expense. I can't use it at home because I'm living in a temp apartment for the next few months, and after I move I'll be going back to my BlackWidow TE Chroma.

Methinks I'll leave well enough alone and allow someone to order one of those keyboards who will actually use it on a regular basis.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:32:28 »
For anyone who missed it: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=31221.msg1860707#msg1860707

rip indeed

Will you guys be restocking KUL's?  I noticed their logo disappeared off your site a while back.

No, we will no longer be stocking Keyed Up Lab keyboards. Once we sell our remaining inventory, adios to them.

Interesting. I wonder why. KUL seems to be the best stock TKL right now and many people gave positive reviews.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:38:31 »
Interesting. I wonder why. KUL seems to be the best stock TKL right now and many people gave positive reviews.

Maybe they haven't been holding up to longer-term usage. I've read some reports that KUL's customer service is abysmal. I posted a note in that vendor thread asking if someone from MK might be able to shed some insight as to why they're no longer carrying that brand.

Offline Data

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:41:53 »

rip indeed

I like mine. No idea what's going on. They're relatively "known" now, maybe they changed their vendor/partner terms or something. Seemed like they might have had a little trouble with fulfillment recently but it doesn't look like they're going out of business...  /shrug

Offline ATXTider

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:52:04 »

Maybe they haven't been holding up to longer-term usage. I've read some reports that KUL's customer service is abysmal. I posted a note in that vendor thread asking if someone from MK might be able to shed some insight as to why they're no longer carrying that brand.

These keyboards are built like tanks (I have 3 of them), I don't see how they won't hold up to long term usage, unless that usage includes getting run over by a truck.

Offline jamster

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 10:03:56 »

Can you substantiate that first sentence or are you guessing?

From opening mine up, the case and the PCB seem sturdy enough, and MX switches are MX switches, so it would never have occurred to me to worry about longevity issues.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 10:27:58 »
Can you substantiate that first sentence or are you guessing?

I can't substantiate anything, but you have to admit the circumstances are rather bizarre. Stores that have been sold out of the product for a while have not seen any new inventory. MK.com, a large and well-respected retailer, is discontinuing carrying the brand all together. There's basically radio silence on the company's social media accounts (a few retweets from a couple weeks ago but otherwise nothing). Then there's the attached Facebook post from Sept. 8.

I'm concerned precisely because their products have been well received. It would be a shame if anything happened to the company because they made a name for themselves in a pretty short period of time.

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 September 2015, 10:29:29 by saturnotaku »

Offline osi

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 11:13:40 »
Dang. Sad to hear if true. I love my KUL

Offline bryan11

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 12:07:35 »
Agreed, I really hope KUL starts restocking again.  I've been waiting on a KUL with clears for a while.  The choice now appears to be to keep waiting a while, get a different KUL while they're available, or choose something different.

Offline Zealousy

• Twitter
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 15:38:54 »
Dang I just want those all black pbt blanks! Looks nice on the Leopold.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 18:31:42 »
The Keycool 84 was the board I truly wanted.  Unfortunately it was impossible to buy.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 19:50:38 »
HendyZone, from mechanicalkeyboards.co.id had KUL stocks util just a week or so ago. When I asked him on his vendor forum:

Nice! What about that 660M bluetooth varmillo sold a while ago, its really gone forever?

Also, will you have KULs restocked anytime soon?

So far yes no 660M they make again
KUL restocks on this month should be arrived :cool:

I feel like at one point you could purchase varmillos with gaterons. Will that be an option from you guys?

I feel like at one point you could purchase varmillos with gaterons. Will that be an option from you guys?

Yes majority comes with Gateron switch ;)

Online HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 20:52:01 »
I just noticed about this thread, and i can make clarification that KUL not dead at all

The last info that i got, KUL still waiting manufacturing complete from datacomp

Next delivery is in OCT.

US people can buy through EK

And i will have incoming stock from KUL next week

Offline ATXTider

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 21:05:52 »
I just noticed about this thread, and i can make clarification that KUL not dead at all

The last info that i got, KUL still waiting manufacturing complete from datacomp

Next delivery is in OCT.

This is good to know!

Offline dante

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 23:13:44 »

Next delivery is in OCT.

I didn't mean to throw KUL under the bus with a sensationalist thread title.  I just don't understand [in the age of social media] why a company wouldn't make themselves more available.  Ok, so your factory is a little behind fulfilling orders - in the meantime why not put out some polls, or run some contests?  KUL is right on par with Unicomp for putting themselves out there.  It hurts my brain because it costs $0 just to show your company has a pulse!

That being said, if MechanicalKeyboards.com keeps bringing in a good supply of Leopold products at the existing prices KUL will need to address the keycap issue sooner or later.

Online HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 00:11:25 »

Next delivery is in OCT.

I didn't mean to throw KUL under the bus with a sensationalist thread title.  I just don't understand [in the age of social media] why a company wouldn't make themselves more available.  Ok, so your factory is a little behind fulfilling orders - in the meantime why not put out some polls, or run some contests?  KUL is right on par with Unicomp for putting themselves out there.  It hurts my brain because it costs $0 just to show your company has a pulse!

That being said, if MechanicalKeyboards.com keeps bringing in a good supply of Leopold products at the existing prices KUL will need to address the keycap issue sooner or later.

I already asked KUL representative to open their mouth here and make more clarification
Hope they will respond it ASAP

I'm sorry I don't have any rights to share everything here