Author Topic: Guns  (Read 14737 times)

Offline roaduck

Guns
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 04:56:58 »
Quote from: TWX;128110
I have lived and worked in Mesa over the years, and I lived in a terrible part of town when I called that city home.  I honestly didn't fear for guns nearly as much as I did for those with knives or improvised weapons, and then I was more worried about the meth heads than anyone else.

Wow - small World TWX - I must ring Babs, my friend in Mesa and ask her what the current situation is there as regards crime etc.
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline chimera15

Guns
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 00:11:43 »
The only guns I own are in games. lol

I have real katana and yari for home defense. lol  

However, if anyone knows where to buy a p90 for a reasonable price  I think it'd be pretty cool to have one, cause I love that gun in games, although I might think twice about buying the bullets for it. lol
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 00:27:33 »
Quote from: chimera15;128255
The only guns I own are in games. lol

I have real katana and yari for home defense. lol  

Wow! I've dreamed about a real Katana, but not for self-defence. I look at them as real pieces of art. Is it true that they are really three pieces of metal fused together by the actions of heating and hammering?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Guns
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 12:38:32 »
- Walther P22 - 9mm PAK (PAK -> the "self defense" version that shoots CS/CN-gas)
- Two old airguns I used for plinking in my youth-time
- Two katanas and some knifes n multitools
- DIY stuff (Hey, I'm a mechanic!)

Offline chimera15

Guns
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 12:44:57 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;128258
Wow! I've dreamed about a real Katana, but not for self-defence. I look at them as real pieces of art. Is it true that they are really three pieces of metal fused together by the actions of heating and hammering?

It's been about ten years since I started and stopped my katana collecting/addiction.  Katanas of different eras were made in different ways, so it depends on the specific sword as to the exact way it was forged.  Some eras, especially ww2 post only used 1 type of steel.  There are a lot of good videos on youtube now even showing how they were made traditionally and even how to make them in a modern forge.

http://www.reliks.com/forging.ihtml
http://www.2-clicks-swords.com/article/katana-making-and-marking.html

As far different parts of steel, the main idea is that different parts of the sword have different levels of carbon.  As Ripster said, the edge is high carbon, and extremely hard, so it's able to hold a very sharp edge, while the majority of the blade is relatively soft and springy to allow for it to take impacts and not shatter.  A katana will bend out of shape before it breaks for instance.

There are a lot of good deals on ebay for authentic katana.   Just a quick search I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Japanese-Wakizashi-Sword-Sharp-Blade-Signature_W0QQitemZ110450158451QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b757ab73

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-handmade-katana-Sword-Lamination-Makuri-Blade_W0QQitemZ120472027417QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0cb14119

That seller has a lot of ww2 era katana/wakizashi really cheap.

A good ww2-post era mechanical forged blade like that seller has isn't exactly a respected piece of art, although there are a lot of exceptions, but it's not going to be a giant loss to the world if you happen to ruin it hacking a robber to death. roflol
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2009, 13:28:14 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline MsKeyboard

Guns
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 14:18:20 »
I would love to hear when you find an AUTHENTIC Katana, not too sure I want to trust Ebay sellers.

Had a friend who owns a real Katana, and he unwrapped it to find little skulls.  It that really true, or a myth?

Thanks......Later

Offline chimera15

Guns
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 23:04:10 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;128411
I would love to hear when you find an AUTHENTIC Katana, not too sure I want to trust Ebay sellers.

Had a friend who owns a real Katana, and he unwrapped it to find little skulls.  It that really true, or a myth?

Thanks......Later

Those are authentic, they're just from probably the 1940's or later instead of being 300 years old.   You can tell from the rust on the first one especially.  That seller also has blades that have no hamon, which I would stay away from.   They appear to only be Damascus steel.  These are likely the single type of steel katana I was referring to. The first one I listed though looks really good, especially as the sword is signed which is rare for a sword that will likely sell as cheap as that seller is selling swords.  You can also get modern authentically forged katanas from Paul Chen.   Those are very expensive though relatively when blades from that seller are probably just as good. Those are what modern iaido users use for practice these days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paul-Chen-Folded-Steel-Tiger-Katana-Japanese-Sword_W0QQitemZ160365525513QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255687ba09

Little skulls? Huh? Where?

That seller has a very good feedback rating for what he's selling and the amount he sells.  I doubt that there'd be a problem with what he's selling.

There are also a lot of high value certified katana on ebay.

Just a quick search:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NBTHK-cert-Antique-Japanese-Sword-Edo-Katana-Koshirae_W0QQitemZ320414577135QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAsian_Antiques?hash=item4a9a3271ef

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samurai-Sword-Katana-first-gen-Omi-no-kami-Hisamichi_W0QQitemZ180420738401QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAsian_Antiques?hash=item2a01e9fd61

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-Samurai-Sword-Wakizashi-Katana-NBTHK-paper_W0QQitemZ230392713018QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAsian_Antiques?hash=item35a479cf3a

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Japanese-Samurai-Sword-EDO-Katana-Koshirae_W0QQitemZ320427063026QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAsian_Antiques?hash=item4a9af0f6f2

But these swords ARE unusable except to stare at, not to mention maintain, unless you're insane, even if you're uber rich, and not really worth buying imo.

I had a papered katana for a while during my collecting/obsession, but couldn't hold onto it because of the risk of it becoming damaged, and the need for it to be impeccably maintained.  If you own a respected katana and something happens to it it's not only a personal loss, but a loss of history.  

Functionally, the swords from the first seller I mentioned are going to be basically as good as any of the high end blades.  The construction is essentially the same, and unless you're seriously into it I would stay away from high end blades.  If you want to get a katana as a a beginning collector, or want a katana for home defense you're best just going with the swords from the first seller or a Paul Chen.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2009, 00:04:23 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline MsKeyboard

Guns
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 23:46:10 »
chimera15, Thanks for the great info.  I have learned to respect the Katana, but have not spent much time learning all the intricacies of the weapon itself.  I hope to own one someday, but find myself very leery about the purchase of something that I would consider art.
He said the skulls were in the wrapping on the handle.  Supposed to symbolize the ability (quality) of the steel, and its tested strength.  Just thought I would  ask.
Thanks again for the info............Later

Offline chimera15

Guns
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 27 October 2009, 00:10:51 »
Actually this has reawakened my obsession a little.  That second one I listed that seller had for $99 looked really good so I bought it. lol
Alps boards:

Offline msiegel

Guns
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 27 October 2009, 00:12:55 »
man, this site *is* dangerous... to bank accounts XD

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline chimera15

Guns
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 27 October 2009, 00:13:54 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;128503
chimera15, Thanks for the great info.  I have learned to respect the Katana, but have not spent much time learning all the intricacies of the weapon itself.  I hope to own one someday, but find myself very leery about the purchase of something that I would consider art.
He said the skulls were in the wrapping on the handle.  Supposed to symbolize the ability (quality) of the steel, and its tested strength.  Just thought I would  ask.
Thanks again for the info............Later

Ah yeah, those are referred to as the menuki, and are usually selected by the wielder of the sword in the old days.  There are tons of different designs, they help with the grip of the sword, and there's some spiritual meaning to them as well. They don't really have anything to do with the blade.  The tsuka is usually wrapped by the samurai/wielder, or a separate artisan from the one who made the blade.  Usually they would have some familial or era significance.  For instance most of the ww2 era blades all have one type of menuki.

They usually look like or similar to this:  These are from a gunto katana which is a type of ww2 katana:

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:pNgTdGC636UJ:cgi.ebay.com/JAPANESE-SWORD-MENUKI-GUNTO-KATANA-TSUKA-TSUBA_W0QQitemZ400078461954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE%3Fhash%3Ditem5d2688dc02+ww2+menuki&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAPANESE-SAMURAI-SWORD-TSUBA-GUNTO-KATANA_W0QQitemZ280412510531QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAsian_Antiques?hash=item4149e35943

http://www.shadowofleaves.com/menuki.htm
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2009, 00:33:06 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

Guns
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 05:03:34 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;128258

I found a good page that describes the different ways a katana can be made:

http://www.samurai-katana-sword.com/

You can see there are a lot of ways.
Alps boards:

Offline cmr

Guns
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 21:50:08 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;126450
I'm pretty sure there must a forum talking about guns just like there's one talking about keyboards :-)

there are probably a thousand such forums. there are unquestionably at least a few hundred of them.

i'm pretty shocked that so few people on this forum own guns. most people in this world live in jurisdictions where private firearms ownership is permitted. the outliers are places like the UK with really extreme laws, where after a cascade of ever-tighter restrictions on firearms they have moved on to strict regulations on knives and then even tried to take away their people's (honestly, i wish i were making this up) drinking glasses!!! the UK must not think too much of its subjects' mental health. i certainly have the same dim view of their politicians.

if you need to punch some holes at a distance a firearm is the only way to go.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
Guns
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 13:44:06 »
I'm a weirdo.  That is, I own a few guns, but I'm a liberal.  (Defined by:  staunchly pro-environment, staunchly pro-choice within reasonable limits, staunchly pro-gay marriage, staunchly pro-universal healthcare, staunchly pro-separation of church and state.  If it were up to me, the US would sign itself over to become a territory of Denmark.)

It might be influenced by the fact that I grew up in a small, rural town.  I don't hunt (I'm an ethical vegetarian), although I used to compete the biathlon when I was a late teenager.

Probably because I'm liberal (or progressive, or left-wing, or whatever your preferred label might be), I do believe that the US should effect a reasonable amount of gun control.  In a sense, the US has let the cat out of the bag.  The massive proliferation of guns into society will make sweeping gun-control measures very difficult to employ, or to become ultimately effective.  That said, according to recorded data (source:  National Center for Health Statistics), about 65% of all homicides are caused by firearms.  A greater degree of "gun control" can clearly get these numbers down, and I think that this high proportion makes the issue worth discussing.

(Based on those numbers, an optimist might think that making all guns disappear overnight would reduce homicides by roughly two-thirds, although I think it's realistic to assume that many of those homicides would have been accomplished via other means were firearms unavailable.  For instance, did you know that the screwdriver is the #2 stabbing implement used in the US?  Neat!)

Note that about 3.4 times as many people are killed in automobile accidents annually than are killed in firearm-related homicides, so one could argue that there are bigger fish to fry, but if we regulate automobiles so carefully, why wouldn't we (in terms of common sense) do the same thing with firearms?  Just because something is in a 200-year-old constitution that doesn't mean it should be a legal loophole of impunity until the end of time.

Preventing accidents is also a noble cause (and usually attempted with state/county laws), but keep in mind that accidental firearm fatalities only account for ~4% of all firearm-related deaths, nationwide.  (Suicide is a big one, accounting for ~54%.)  There are differences by state, but they are slight (although interesting; compare the states' firearm homicide vs. suicide proportions with how they voted for president and you'll get a r-value exceeding 0.7).  While I don't have data for this, I expect that regional differences, even when geographically proximate, are massive.  E.g., firearm homicides would be much greater in downtown Detroit than in the wealthy nearby suburb of Grosse Pointe.  This would reflect different socioeconomic conditions and their respective crime/death trends.

(My numbers above are for fatalities only, not injuries.  It would be interesting to see the whole picture, but I don't immediately have the data.)

If we had rational lawmakers, the data would be looked at very closely, and then policy would be created accordingly.  (E.g., what kinds of firearms were used in the homicides, and why (size, price, etc.)?  Were they registered or unregistered?  Was the murderer identified/convicted, and if not, why?  What socioeconomic trends are clear, and what might their root causes be?  What social factors were evident (e.g., did the murderer have a criminal record?)?)  Right now, however, the state of political discourse in the US is so toxic and putrid that any rational progress on this issue (as well as with abortion, in my opinion) cannot be made.  Personally, I think the reason why lawmakers can't (or rather, don't) accomplish rational discussion about this and other issues is the fear that the extremists on the other side will try to establish slippery-slope issues to further their agenda.  You give the other side a concession, and they try to grab for more.  Thus it ends in a shouting-match stalemate, instead of both sides agreeing upon something that they each find honestly reasonable.

But I'll say it up-front (maybe just to get it off my chest):  as a population (in the US, at least; perhaps not someplace like Sierra Leone or Somalia), gun owners, even gun nuts, are neither stupid nor scary.  Nor are they inherently more dangerous than their counterparts.  If you think they're stupid or scary, that's just a reflection of your own xenophobia.  These are just people with a hobby, and in some cases, a self-image that they're trying to live up to.

In terms of numbers, you'd be more statistically astute to prejudice doctors as stupid/scary/dangerous for their ability to accidentally kill you while under their care.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2009, 15:29:46 by megarat »

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 13:51:14 »
Eugene Levy scares me.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
Guns
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 15:23:34 »
Quote from: ripster;129176
Show Image

Whoa ... that keyboard layout is totally wack.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 15:26:56 »
I think they went a little overkill on the space saver design.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
Guns
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 16:20:28 »
Quote from: ripster;129240
There are more Lego minifigures in the world than people so if they grow opposable thumbs WATCH OUT!

Yet another reason why the US should become a protectorate of Denmark.

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 16:39:51 »
Cheese omeletes.  Mmm...

Offline PRISONER 24601

Guns
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 10:31:46 »
i read in the paper that someone got shot yesterday
and now i open this thread today. wow.

how ironic.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 10:36:14 »
Dude, you're hanging at the Hanoi Hilton.  Someone getting shot shouldn't be much of a suprise as tragic as that is.

Offline AndrewZorn

Guns
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 11:31:08 »
if overpopulation is the greatest threat the future of humanity, then what is a gun?

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 11:32:59 »
Are you from Texas?

That's taking a Shotgun-Approach to solving a problem.

*rimshot*

Offline roaduck

Guns
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 16:20:34 »
Quote from: ripster;129240
Ergonomically designed for One Finger typing.
Show Image

There are more Lego minifigures in the world than people so if they grow opposable thumbs WATCH OUT!

Ripster you're bleedin' wasted on 'ere you should be working in Hollywood doin' special affects with lego and stop motion stuff.
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Guns
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 17:41:15 »
What would happen if you shot the back of an IBM Model M?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline MFGorilla

Guns
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 21:37:40 »
But I'll say it up-front (maybe just to get it off my chest): as a population (in the US, at least; perhaps not someplace like Sierra Leone or Somalia), gun owners, even gun nuts, are neither stupid nor scary.

We've got a couple of gun nuts where I work and they are both bat**** crazy!  That said, there isn't anything wrong with responsible gun ownership.  I've always felt that the problem with gun control laws is that the criminals who use guns aren't getting them through legal channels.  If they are willing to break the law then they are probably willing to circumvent the gun control laws.
"I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!"

Using Now: Unicomp Spacesaver (black/grey) | IBM Model M 1391401 White Label| IBM Model M 1394946 by Lexmark
[COMMENT]On The Way: IBM Model M Industrial[/COMMENT]
Wish list: Filco Majestouch tenless with Blue Cherries | Matias Tactile Pro 3 | IBM Model M Space Saver
In Storage: IBM M2, DELL bluetooth wireless

Offline itlnstln

Guns
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 05 November 2009, 08:25:04 »
Here in the Republic of Texas, the gun fanatics are crazy.

Offline AndrewZorn

Guns
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 14 November 2009, 22:14:30 »
i think i am able to find a new way to drain my wallet every month.  behold my most likely new next obsession: pocket rifles

still cant decide which of the above two to start with

Offline patrickgeekhack

Guns
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 14 November 2009, 22:21:40 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;132569
i think i am able to find a new way to drain my wallet every month.  behold my most likely new next obsession: pocket rifles

Show Image

Show Image

still cant decide which of the above two to start with

Can they be modded ? :-)

Offline AndrewZorn

Guns
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 14 November 2009, 22:25:03 »
both of them are

the first is a very modified ruger 10/22
the tried and true rifle chopped up

the second is a gsg-5
an mp5 clone but for the .22lr round
i would have already ordered it, but H&K has sued the company, and by jan31, they must cease all sales and die... so i would be buying something no longer in production... accessories, parts, would also likely disappear... not that most mp5 accessories dont work
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2009, 08:38:45 by AndrewZorn »

Offline Rajagra

Guns
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 17:50:24 »
Black box recorders for firearms.

What a great idea. If we make criminals use them it will make prosecutions so much easier! :rofl:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Guns
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 18:26:42 »
I couldn't imagine it catching on in the civilian market, but that sort of thing would be very useful for military weapons, both for investigating allegations of misconduct, and for keeping on eye on how worn out the weapon is.