Author Topic: Question about dyeing already colored caps  (Read 1326 times)

Online Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Question about dyeing already colored caps
« on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 13:44:59 »
So in light of getting news that my xtant pcb and plate are going to be heading my way, I attempted to order a full set of blank black caps from unicomp.  Well they didn't have the right shift and asked me if I wanted a different color for that one key.  I asked if they were expecting to get any more in stick soon.  The reply was they are not ever expecting to stock them again.  All in all I suppose it is for the better, as every cap over a single unit had a $.50 surcharge, except for the space bar.  This was also the only color with that as well.  So this leads me to my next line of questioning.

1.  If I put some red or "dark" blue stock caps in some black dye, would it be correct to think that I can pull them out early and get a very dark red or blue? 

2.  Would there be any real chance of getting splotchy color or otherwise bad effects?

3.  What is the current dye of choice for pbt?  As last I looked into this Rit had changed their formula and it doesn't work near as well anymore.

Any input here will be greatly appreciated.  Pictures and links are always welcome.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: Question about dyeing already colored caps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 14:19:33 »
I haven't ever tried to re-dye a cap, but I have for fabrics. For #2, it could get splotchy if the first dye job wasn't totally even. Visually you should be able to tell if what you have now is wearing evenly to account for this.  On fabrics you can use a dye remover to kind of get a base line, but that is probably not available for plastics. For #3, iDye Poly is what most people recommend to use on caps. I just ordered some myself so hopefully that is still the case!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Online Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 14:40:24 »
I haven't ever tried to re-dye a cap, but I have for fabrics. For #2, it could get splotchy if the first dye job wasn't totally even. Visually you should be able to tell if what you have now is wearing evenly to account for this.  On fabrics you can use a dye remover to kind of get a base line, but that is probably not available for plastics. For #3, iDye Poly is what most people recommend to use on caps. I just ordered some myself so hopefully that is still the case!

Thanks.  Though what I am planning is dyeing caps that are virgin in that it is colored PBT, not dyed.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Online Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 19:27:10 »
I guess my main question is how much does the base color of the cap effect the final outcome.