Author Topic: Keyboard spits out characters of column8.  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
Keyboard spits out characters of column8.
« on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 13:04:59 »
Hi! I have the following problem: my custom build keyboard triggers all switches of column 8 ("6", "z", "g", and "b"), like this:
6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb............ and I dont know why. It irregularly stops somtimes, or starts flooding me with these characters again. The Teensy2.0 is well insolated, this can't be the problem. This suspect column 8 is connected on Teensy's pin PB2. When I deactivate PB2 in my firmware, the problem is gone. But why on earth does the pin PB2 detect all these switches pressed, when there is no switch pressed?

« Last Edit: Sat, 12 September 2015, 13:18:30 by Eszett »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: Keyboard spits out characters of column8.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 13:17:41 »
Hi! I have the following problem: my custom build keyboard triggers all switches of column 8 ("6", "z", "g", and "b"), like this:
6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb6zgb............ and I dont know why. Sometimes it stops, but most time it is flooding me with thes characters. The Teensy2.0 is well insolated, this can't be the problem. This suspect column 8 is connected on Teensy's pin PB2. When I deactivate PB2 in my firmware, the problem is gone. But why on earth does the pin PB2 detect all these switches pressed, when there is no switch pressed?
Sounds like a short circuit is making the firmware think a switch is being pressed. Do you have a multimeter? You can do a continuity test from the teensy pin to each of the switch solder points and find the one that is misbehaving.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Eszett

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 13:37:01 »
Hi njbair! Well, the column itself seems to be fine. For example when I try to press "g" nothing happens, because this character is in row3 and row3 I have not yet connected to a Teensy I/O pin. But the pin PB2, which scans column 8, scans "6zgb", which is the whole column. How can this be?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 13:47:19 »
Have you ruled out a firmware issue? That is, are you running a known good default keymap, or something you've customized?

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Eszett

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 13:56:54 »
Yes, I'm running TMK firmware. The thing is: sometimes the keyboard works without flooding me with characters. The flooding occurs when I reboot the PC with the USB cable plugged in. But when I reboot the PC first, and then plug the USB cable in, the keyboard works fine, without flooding me with characters.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 14:02:38 »
Yes, I'm running TMK firmware. The thing is: sometimes the keyboard works without flooding me with characters. The flooding occurs when I reboot the PC with the USB cable plugged in. But when I reboot the PC first, and then plug the USB cable in, the keyboard works fine, without flooding me with characters.
You may want to ask about this in the TMK Firmware thread. I'm not an expert but I think there's a different HID protocol for boot mode, which may come into play when you're plugged in during boot. It's probably not the whole issue, but it may be a part of it.

My boards:
More

Offline Eszett

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 14:14:02 »
Yes, I will do that, thanks njbair.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 03:00:53 »
If you still have the problem, post pics, schematic or codes of your keyboard as possible.
I'll help you and you'll get many help from the GH community. I beleive you need many eyes to resolve your problem shortly in the end.