Author Topic: Coder from Los Angeles, now obsessed with keyboards  (Read 1100 times)

Offline kinetic

Coder from Los Angeles, now obsessed with keyboards
« on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 20:29:42 »
Hi all,

I've been a developer for 15 years and just got my first mechanical: wasd code keyboard with browns.  Now I'm quickly looking at the topre all 55g.  I foresee a new addiction.

Side note: do you guys normally pre order from elite keyboards or do you just wait for the site to update their inventory as "in stock"?  I see that I can purchase "out of stock" items now, but I just wasn't sure how accurate their estimates were in terms of getting more items in.

In any case, looking forward to the new adventures that await!

Offline raymogi

Re: Coder from Los Angeles, now obsessed with keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 20:31:32 »
Get that 55g and you'll be looking for things to type all day long.

I'm not a coder but all I do is go on those typing test websites cause I can't get enough of the thock!
Please feed my addiction.

Offline kinetic

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 20:36:46 »
Ha. I'm just waiting for EK to get some in stock.  It will definitely see use: 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. Wonder if fatigue will set in... Although the browns don't seem laborious for me. 

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 20:40:28 »
It might at first, going from the browns. I started with Red as my first mech board, then went to 45g Topre right away. It felt tougher to press but I got used to it in about 2 days.

But when I go to the 55g though, I wasn't liking it at all at first. Tried it on off for a week and still finding myself going back to 45g. Then I figure I'll try those 55g domes in my HHKB Type-S so I transplanted it. There is no looking back now. Once you get used to 55g Topre, it is the best typing feeling EVER!
Please feed my addiction.

Offline kinetic

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 20:45:08 »
I suppose I was close to following a similar path as you: going from cherry switches straight to 45g topre. However, it seems that 55g topre is quite an experience, so I figured I might as well go straight for that!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 01:16:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a whole thread on Elite Keyboards stock - have a read and place an order - can't hurt to try!

This is an addiction that it is so very easy to fall into ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ