Author Topic: I decided to try and make something  (Read 1824 times)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
I decided to try and make something
« on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 16:05:29 »
As many of you know, storing your artisans can be a pain.  Especially if you are a bit OCD when it comes to that type of thing.  I have been looking for a good solution to this for a few months now, and have seen many decent options.  Many of them have been out of stock, or discontinued indefinitely.  So with my general knowledge of CADD, I decided to just design one myself.  My plan is to make one similar in design to the gasmask keycaps cases that Martin made a few years ago.  I figured that I would start a thread to chronicle the process, and keep me from slacking off.  Ill update the 2nd post with current progress shots as I have them.  So far I have about 4 hours into this current design, with countless hours in sketchup trying to come up with something.

Ultimate goal is to have a case that will hold 40 caps, has a lid, slide out shelf, and is stackable.  See how this goes.

Feel free to comment or offer advice if you want.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: I decided to try and make something
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 16:05:38 »
Progress as of 9/20.  Still have a lot of work to do before I have all the pieces assembled.  I haven't worked in Autocad in years, and things have really changed.  Hopefully I will have a 3d render by next weekend and quotes shortly after.

9/24

9/26
3 hour render didnt turn out to well, so i just grabbed screenshots for now.

« Last Edit: Sat, 26 September 2015, 18:33:04 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 21:47:52 »
Looks very promising!

There are a few taller artisan keycaps coming out now, so a little extra vertical space would be good.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 04:55:08 »
Looks very promising!

There are a few taller artisan keycaps coming out now, so a little extra vertical space would be good.
This has 3/4" for the height from lid to bottom. I'd rather not make it much taller, due to adding wasted space.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 21:40:01 »
Finished up most of the 3d pieces tonight.  I still have to finish the lid, look into dowel placement to attach the sides and back piece, and need to add a piece on the bottom to attach the sides together.  Should have a nice render done by the weekend.

Offline Invaderevan

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 21:43:27 »
Gonna cut it out of plexi? or some thick hardwood veneer would be pretty dope too, you can get pretty much any thickness you need, you would just have to design dados into the base to keep the wood from flexing.

Super cool project, definitely keeping an eye on it!

WTTF Ribbits, Ashen V2 MX, Bronins

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 21:44:57 »
Ooooh I love this ****!!!! Cool stuff ghost I definitely love the ideas and let me know where your thinking of going with it 8)
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 21:56:29 »
Gonna cut it out of plexi? or some thick hardwood veneer would be pretty dope too, you can get pretty much any thickness you need, you would just have to design dados into the base to keep the wood from flexing.

Super cool project, definitely keeping an eye on it!
Thanks a lot!  Right now my plan is to get some acrylic cut for it, and hope that everything fits well in a prototype.  From there, i'm not sure what will happen.  I never thought about wood, but that is definitely a possibility.

Ooooh I love this ****!!!! Cool stuff ghost I definitely love the ideas and let me know where your thinking of going with it 8)
Thanks!  I'll keep this thread updated with progress and whatnot as it goes.  I don't expect it to be quick, but hopefully i'll have my first prototype done by mid to late October.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 18:36:21 »
Pretty big update.  I have all the pieces fitted together in autocad, and I used blue for visual purposes.  I had to go with a thicker top piece, to contain the acrylic dowel for the hinge.  I may change this still, but that depends if I can find a way to attach the lid using the same size acrylic as the rest of the case.  I am gonna start contacting some manufacturers and getting quotes together.  Hopefully things start to move along faster from now on.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:08:15 »
My local makerspace has a laser cutter that can handle acrylic. I can use it for free and just need to provide my own acrylic. You could also check your local university to see if they have the equipment and will let you use the shop. Both would be cheaper ways to make this as opposed to contracting someone to make this. Just a suggestion.

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:24:45 »
Nice idea of one box for all of them :D I think it would be better if there were stems inside each small box to avoid scratches on the caps when we carry it around. Sothat the caps wont jump out or hit the cover.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 15:30:36 »
Markin' for interest.  :-*

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 21:12:57 »
My recommended solution to the artisan keycap storage is to not buy artisan keycaps.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing