Author Topic: Looking to build a custom FC660M - Need help  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Acknown3

• Not a keyboard addict
Looking to build a custom FC660M - Need help
« on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 12:56:56 »
Hey guys, I'm not new to the world of keyboards, but I have absolutely no experience with building custom ones or even soldering. Guess now is as good a time as any to start!

So I recently received the NPKC switch tester from the site that must not be named, and by far my favorite switch by far was the Gateron clear. As you could probably tell, I tend to gravitate towards low-force linear switches, and these clears seem to be as far on that end of the spectrum as you can get. The same day, I ordered 120 switches from Amazon. I figured that I would replace the Cherry reds in my current FC660M since I have an aluminum case on the way, and thought "why not, I'll replace them since I'll have the board opened up." Then I realized that I'd be left with an extra case and 66 red switches that I would never use. The more I thought about it, I realized I could build a custom keyboard and have two functional boards instead of one and a half.

Which leads me to where I am today. I'd like to build a custom board that fits within the aluminum FC660M case, but also has LED support, an off-center caps lock and spacebar (with standard stabilizer spacing of course), and is re-programmable (to replace insert with print screen). As I mentioned, I have no experience with any DIY electrical stuff, so I've been watching this channel for soldering and have also viewed WFD's Phantom video and DDD's sticker and lube tutorial. I currently have a Weller WLC100, which was the most I wanted to put down until I got serious about working with electronics. I figured I'd go out to Radioshack and get some equipment to practice this weekend.

Looking at the parts I'd need, I already have the switches, costar stabilizers, and case. This seems to leave the diodes, LED's (with SIP sockets), lube, stickers, plate (steel or acrylic?), and the PCB itself. Googling custom 66key PCB's only gave me this album, so it looks like a 66key PCB isn't exactly something that you can order without setting up the manufacturing process yourself. Does anyone know the best way to go about ordering a custom PCB that supports all of the features I mentioned? Also, if you have any recommendations for where to purchase the parts that I still need, that would be great. Right now I'm looking at getting these LED's in sky blue, blue vinyl stickers from Techkeys, SIP sockets, clear switch tops, and V3 lube from ZealPC.

If there's anything else that would help me out, I'd appreciate it :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:57:33 by Acknown3 »
FC660C gray dyesub, gummyrot clack
FC660M cherry reds, Triumph Adler, blue aluminum case
Filco TKL cherry reds, white side-printed PBT
IBM Model F XT

Offline tofgerl

Re: Looking to build a custom FC660M - Need help
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 13:42:32 »
I think you're overcomplicating things. You don't need to touch the Leopold at all, leave it be and build a new board from scratch. Far better, easier, and you won't risk destroying the board you already have.

Offline Acknown3

• Not a keyboard addict
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 13:52:28 »
That's what I would like to do, which is why I need a new PCB. I was originally going to use the stock PCB, but adding LED's changed my mind to make a custom board.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:57:57 by Acknown3 »
IBM Model F XT

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:05:53 »
Well, with a teensy and a plate you don't really need a PCB, but if you want LEDs you definitely WANT a PCB. Unfortunately, I don't know of one with the FC660 layout.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:35:26 »
Cool idea. I have been playing with designing a new pcb for the FC660M for a while as well, mostly because of the weird spacebar stem spacing. XP

The biggest thing is designing the PCB. That will take a lot of reading up on.
If you can get someone to design a plate for the 660 layout you could go the easy way and just solder it to a teensy.

Looking forward to see what you are doing next. I know I will start reading up on it next year when I finished university and manage to get a better hold on my finances.
LED, ISO and programmability support are at the top of my list. :thumb:
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:36:43 »
I've ordered two of these plates through LeandreN's GB, found on the GB-forum.

http://imgur.com/a/OJ9fb

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:59:59 »
A PCB that fits the FC660M case requires to design it from scratch; thus, as someone already say, it would be easier to build a new keyboard with some of the already available programmable PCBs around, like GH60, Infinity, GON, Sprit, Face-U, Face-W, or the likes; it may not fit your case, but you will have enough freedom to meet your other requirements, some of them with the Infinity, most of them with the others.

Having a low cost plastic stock case - Your soon to be spare FC660M's - as a restriction to build a custom board does not make much sense. If you really like the layout of the Leopold join with someone with PCB design experience and have her designing it for you, make a small GB to share costs with other interested parties, and get it lmanufactured. The other option is to design a plate with Swill's tool, and make cable wiring with the controller of your choice, finally get your layout programmed.

I have one FC660M with no use at all, after I found Space-FN concept, that I implemented it with TouchCursor; then, I do not need dedicated arrows anymore, I can access them in a very efficient way, with no finger travel at all. Therefore, I really do not understand why that particular layout should be a must, but of course, it is your money, your time, and your preferences that will drive your project, good luck.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 15:05:37 »
I've actually already been working on this project. :)

I haven't been posting about it here on geekhack, and I've only made one post about it elsewhere, but I have prototypes in hand and have just ordered my first production run. I'm still working on plates but I hope to have those finalized today or tomorrow. I call it the Clueboard.

Here are some pics:

This first version isn't fully backlit but it has all the same LED's as the current fc660m. I'm working on another PCB with full backlighting, but there's a lot of issues I'm still working through there.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 15:08:51 »

I haven't been posting about it here on geekhack, and I've only made one post about it elsewhere, but I have prototypes in hand and have just ordered my first production run. I'm still working on plates but I hope to have those finalized today or tomorrow. I call it the Clueboard.

Here are some pics:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This first version isn't fully backlit but it has all the same LED's as the current fc660m. I'm working on another PCB with full backlighting, but there's a lot of issues I'm still working through there.

Good job! An ISO Leopold FC660's skullydazed, it looks awesome. You are the angel with a letter from heaven for the OP's.

Offline Acknown3

• Not a keyboard addict
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 15:19:04 »
A PCB that fits the FC660M case requires to design it from scratch; thus, as someone already say, it would be easier to build a new keyboard with some of the already available programmable PCBs around, like GH60, Infinity, GON, Sprit, Face-U, Face-W, or the likes; it may not fit your case, but you will have enough freedom to meet your other requirements, some of them with the Infinity, most of them with the others.

Having a low cost plastic stock case - Your soon to be spare FC660M's - as a restriction to build a custom board does not make much sense. If you really like the layout of the Leopold join with someone with PCB design experience and have her designing it for you, make a small GB to share costs with other interested parties, and get it manufactured. The other option is to design a plate with Swill's tool, and make cable wiring with the controller of your choice, finally get your layout programmed.

I have one FC660M with no use at all, after I found Space-FN concept, that I implemented it with TouchCursor; then, I do not need dedicated arrows anymore, I can access them in a very efficient way, with no finger travel at all. Therefore, I really do not understand why that particular layout should be a must, but of course, it is your money, your time, and your preferences that will drive your project, good luck.
I understand what you're saying, although this idea doesn't stem entirely around trying to keep me from having extra parts lying around. It was more of the fact that I would be so close to being able to build another board that I might as well do it for fun. Additionally, I would be able to add LED support, fix a few spacing discrepancies, and modify the layout to exactly how I wanted it. I was originally going to bite the bullet and order a Duck Octagon, but as awesome as a 75% is in theory, I think that the F-row looks ugly with my TA keys unless you're going for a TKL or 104-key layout, and I'd like to keep this board as portable as possible since I use it with my laptop, surface, and constantly bring it over to friends' houses so they can try it out. I've tried using non-dedicated arrow keys, but I love the Fn+arrows feeling because it's very intuitive, and having a delete key doesn't hurt either.

Skullydazed, I want to hug you right now. That looks like it includes almost everything I need. I can't wait for you to have the final product! Only thing I noticed is no LED holes, although it's not a huge detriment if you decide to not go down that route.

I've already ordered the stickers, lube, and clear tops from Techkeys. Does anyone know what the measurements of the SIP sockets Zeal has listed so that I can find a cheaper solution on eBay? The $15 shipping kinda kills it for me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:10:46 by Acknown3 »
IBM Model F XT

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 17:11:55 »

Here are some pics:
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dude, that's awesome! Show us some more and tell us how it went. :D
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:18:23 »
Dude, that's awesome! Show us some more and tell us how it went. :D

Working on it! As soon as I get the plate prototypes ordered I'll take some good pictures of my current prototypes and post about them. For right now I'm typing on one of my prototypes and everything is working beautifully so far. I'm using tmk for the firmware and have posted my code here:

https://github.com/skullydazed/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/keyboard/clueboard

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 22:13:20 »
Nice! Deffinately something I suspect FC660M owners would be interested in. If you make PCB's could it drop in fit? (like a hot swap)

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 23:08:15 »
Nice! Deffinately something I suspect FC660M owners would be interested in. If you make PCB's could it drop in fit? (like a hot swap)

Yup, it's totally drop in. The red case is my fc660m case, with a clueboard pcb inside!