Author Topic: I think it's time for me to lay reddit to rest  (Read 2263 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
I think it's time for me to lay reddit to rest
« on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:20:52 »
I'm not really specifically talking about mechanical keyboard related subs, I'll actually probably still visit them occasionally to keep updated on stuff that doesn't show up here. I just grow tired of the anonymous upvote/downvote system after a while. Today I pissed off some guy on /r/truedota2 of all subs, and in the next couple minutes all my most recent posts and comments magically lost about 5 points. Happens frequently unfortunately.
/rant

Anyway, I'm already pretty active here, but I'll probably start showing my face around DT a little more to replace the lost fuel of the procrastination train.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: I think it's time for me to lay reddit to rest
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:25:43 »
You need to find the good communities. I've found video game subreddits are never great for the whole community or reddiquette ****.

I've found plenty of good ones though.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:29:10 »
I'm not really specifically talking about mechanical keyboard related subs, I'll actually probably still visit them occasionally to keep updated on stuff that doesn't show up here. I just grow tired of the anonymous upvote/downvote system after a while. Today I pissed off some guy on /r/truedota2 of all subs, and in the next couple minutes all my most recent posts and comments magically lost about 5 points. Happens frequently unfortunately.
/rant

Anyway, I'm already pretty active here, but I'll probably start showing my face around DT a little more to replace the lost fuel of the procrastination train.
Reddit has its ups and downs. I usually check it daily but lately I haven't been because work has been busy and I'm heavily involved in group buy planning. I don't even miss it.

I'm sure I'll end up back on there some time soon but it's hard to imagine it being my favorite place again.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:29:12 »
You need to find the good communities. I've found video game subreddits are never great for the whole community or reddiquette ****.

I've found plenty of good ones though.

Yeah, I've found a couple good ones. Probably just having a moment.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:31:19 »
I'm rarely there anymore.  I still mod /r/buildapc, but I've been disillusioned with Reddit for a while.  It's just too much of an echo chamber with a bunch of entitled *******s.  The smaller subs can still be awesome, but it feels like once they hit 20k they start to go downhill.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:32:50 »
/r/mk is worthless. It's basically just, "should I get the Razer or the Corsair?" and "My Poker 3 with jelly POMs and a shoe for some reason and maybe a bowl of curry in the background. How'd I do?"

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:35:09 »
/r/mk is worthless. It's basically just, "should I get the Razer or the Corsair?" and "My Poker 3 with jelly POMs and a shoe for some reason and maybe a bowl of curry in the background. How'd I do?"

I really enjoy techmattr's occasional posts, though they probably end up somewhere on GH as well. I was referring more to mechmarket, which I can't foresee stopping with. I tend to find more ridiculous deals there than I do on the GH classifieds.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:36:53 »

I really enjoy techmattr's occasional posts, though they probably end up somewhere on GH as well. I was referring more to mechmarket, which I can't foresee stopping with. I tend to find more ridiculous deals there than I do on the GH classifieds.
I rarely buy directly from people. Unless they have been on GH for a long time (longer than me).

My boards:
More

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:37:34 »
I'm rarely there anymore.  I still mod /r/buildapc, but I've been disillusioned with Reddit for a while.  It's just too much of an echo chamber with a bunch of entitled *******s.  The smaller subs can still be awesome, but it feels like once they hit 20k they start to go downhill.

I never knew you moderated /r/buildapc that's pretty kickass. The hivemind is a really ****ty thing.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:38:35 »

I rarely buy directly from people. Unless they have been on GH for a long time (longer than me).

Maybe you're just better at restraining yourself, but I've jumped on some pretty ridiculous deals there in the past.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:41:14 »

Maybe you're just better at restraining yourself, but I've jumped on some pretty ridiculous deals there in the past.
It's hard to explain. I get the overwhelming sense that I might get ripped off, and you've got even less recourse than on eBay. It's like paranoia. Keeps me from jumping on a deal. And at this point, mostly keeps me out of the classifieds altogether.

My boards:
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:00:26 »
Quote from: katushkinlink=topic=75481.msg1874071#msg1874071 date=1443058654

I never knew you moderated /r/buildapc that's pretty kickass. The hivemind is a really ****ty thing.

Haha, yeah.  I organized the 100k subscriber contest and that drove me to where I am now.  So many people complained about not winning.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 22:56:44 »

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 01:34:28 »
Big subreddits are pointless circlejerk, I browse /r/leagueoflegends /r/hearstone daily. It's the same memes over and over at the top. The only point of big subreddit is content, the discussion can't happen on this kind of subreddit.
/r/mk is mostly at this stage, and  sadly the content is lacking aside from one or two posts a month.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 05:39:12 »
I never got into reddit because I can't stand how they organize posting with all the nested comments and upsides.  Just repulsed me from the start.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 12:34:28 »
So many people complained about not winning.

Complaining about not winning a contest is about as pointless as anything I could imagine.

I have clicked on a link to reddit a couple of times, but as soon as it opens it looks like a 1,000 foot high wall of TL;DR so I just close it immediately.

Now I will cop to complaining about the difficulty of finding old information in Geekhack .....
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09