Author Topic: Stuff People Say When You Say You Collect Keyboards  (Read 6656 times)

Offline 3K

Re: Stuff People Say When You Say You Collect Keyboards
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 14:06:12 »
When I showed my new Ducky:
>That's pretty nice! But is it worth the 50€ ... ?
>150€ ...

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline Kyi195

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 23:14:37 »
Buddy at first said that it was stupid that I paid $90 for mine (V60 from massdrop) and then when I took it to a LAN he said he liked it and was looking into getting a mech.  Dunno if he's looked more tho.  Generally it's everything else thats been said; "you paid how much?", "how is that any different?", " why is it so small?", etc.

Offline edsucks

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 02:48:18 »
"How many is enough?"

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 07:49:31 »
"How many is enough?"
Invalid question. Should be, "how many are left?"

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline edsucks

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 13:24:29 »
"How many is enough?"
Invalid question. Should be, "how many are left?"

Whenever a package arrives in my name: "It's another one of his keyboard things *sigh*"

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 13:30:29 »
Usually I get "I don't get it".

Example:

Guy: What are you doing?
Me: Swapping out the 45g springs in my Gateron's with some 65g gold springs.
Guy: I don't get it.
Me: It makes it feel better to type on.
Guy: Yeah, I just don't get it.  :confused:
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 15:30:14 »
"Why?" --> "So I can post in threads circlejerking about the reactions people give me"

More
A guy I work with has an SSK, so he's cool.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 16:52:36 »
It has probably been a while since I last posted this jewel:

Quote from: Anonymous Coward

I feel ashamed when I see a grown up man say things like "...a sharp drop at the actuation point at around 2/3 - 3/4 way down the..."

Don't you have anything better to do with your life than yammering away on the minute details of a keyboard? I have both an M and an F that I picked up at goodwill for nothing 15 years ago and for the first time yesterday I googled about them and found 'enthusiast' (here an euphemism for retarded) websites where idiots bounce off the walls telling each other about the orgasms per second they have when using them. And 'using' is an overstatement with 90% of those morons. Most are busy opening them, cleaning the last atom of dirt off them, 'restoring' what doesn't need any restoration, 'upgrading', thinking of names for them, 'modding', taking photos, showing them off, in general jerking off about the clicky sensations and the superb accuracy of their typing and other general uber-dorkiness. What I never found there was anything useful to do with them, ie. actually program a computer.

Go type 'messenger lectures' in youtube and see what smart people look like, then kill yourself disassembling your One True Keyboard(TM) for the nth time and swallowing all the buckling springs.

And then mail one of your remaining model Fs to me.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 20:31:11 »
It has probably been a while since I last posted this jewel:

Quote from: Anonymous Coward

I feel ashamed when I see a grown up man say things like "...a sharp drop at the actuation point at around 2/3 - 3/4 way down the..."

Don't you have anything better to do with your life than yammering away on the minute details of a keyboard? I have both an M and an F that I picked up at goodwill for nothing 15 years ago and for the first time yesterday I googled about them and found 'enthusiast' (here an euphemism for retarded) websites where idiots bounce off the walls telling each other about the orgasms per second they have when using them. And 'using' is an overstatement with 90% of those morons. Most are busy opening them, cleaning the last atom of dirt off them, 'restoring' what doesn't need any restoration, 'upgrading', thinking of names for them, 'modding', taking photos, showing them off, in general jerking off about the clicky sensations and the superb accuracy of their typing and other general uber-dorkiness. What I never found there was anything useful to do with them, ie. actually program a computer.

Go type 'messenger lectures' in youtube and see what smart people look like, then kill yourself disassembling your One True Keyboard(TM) for the nth time and swallowing all the buckling springs.

And then mail one of your remaining model Fs to me.

Was this a Geekhack troll?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 20:58:05 »
Was this a Geekhack troll?

It dates from several years back.

It has been suggested that it was from ripster himself, under an alias.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:12:06 »
When the homies come over and see my Topre game is on point, they say "daaaaaaamn son, you copped that RF 87U 55g?!?! fo' real blud??! That's you?!"

This is what they say when I collect keyboards.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:19:37 »
Digi I don't sound like that wtf.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:26:56 »

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:49:31 »
I've worked in the same office for 3 years now. So far I've converted 32 people to mechanical keyboards. I get the normal "how much do they cost" question.

Two weeks ago:
Agent - My keyboard isn't working do we have a spare? (give him my 45g 87u)
Agent - This feels really nice. How much does it cost?
Me - Brand new $220.
Agent - WHAT? That's ridiculous!

One week ago same agent:
Agent - So do they come with a number pad?
Me -  :thumb:

So he bought the Type Heaven because he didn't want to spend $220 on a realforce.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:54:32 »
I've worked in the same office for 3 years now. So far I've converted 32 people to mechanical keyboards. I get the normal "how much do they cost" question.

Two weeks ago:
Agent - My keyboard isn't working do we have a spare? (give him my 45g 87u)
Agent - This feels really nice. How much does it cost?
Me - Brand new $220.
Agent - WHAT? That's ridiculous!

One week ago same agent:
Agent - So do they come with a number pad?
Me -  :thumb:

So he bought the Type Heaven because he didn't want to spend $220 on a realforce.

Hah! That's great. Gotta sprinkle the crack on them a lil' bit at a time..they'll come over to the dark side, they always do =)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 04:21:50 »
When the homies come over and see my Topre game is on point, they say "daaaaaaamn son, you copped that RF 87U 55g?!?! fo' real blud??! That's you?!"

This is what they say when I collect keyboards.

Homies be down af for oneness with the cup rubber

Offline abswyfe

• I <3 Geekhack
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 12:19:34 »
"isn't this the type of stuff your nerd husband is into?"
Thank you all Destiny supporters and all you fun people in off topic! I think I will try to stick around for a while!