Author Topic: Hey guys! I've been lurking here for few weeks so I decided to join  (Read 1554 times)

Offline uTukan

• I like it when you make it click clack boy
Hey guys! I've been lurking here for few weeks so I decided to join
« on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 10:41:41 »
Hey,

I am uTukan, or Tukan, or the more English "Toucan", call me however you like, it doesn't really matter. I come from a smaller town in the Czech Republic, sadly, no one really cares about mechanical keyboards here, people much prefer the cheap rubber domes. I was interested in keyboards for quite some time, but just two days ago, my first keyboard came in and I already feel the addiction. I've got some experience mainly from /r/mechanicalkeyboards (I hope that you don't follow any anti-reddit propaganda here because of ripster55 or something since I don't really know what happened), but it's not really that active (which I'm actually happy about, since there isn't that much of toxicity) and I feel the need to be more active.

If, you somehow want to ask something, feel free to do so, as I will reply almost instantly. See ya!
Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition 2013 with Cherry MX Blues. Blank keycaps, braided cable and plasti dip / vinyl wrap soon.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Hey guys! I've been lurking here for few weeks so I decided to join
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 10:43:44 »
Welcome, and do not worry about anti-anything, but be prepare to some intellectual bullying.

:p

Offline uTukan

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 10:45:41 »
Welcome, and do not worry about anti-anything, but be prepare to some intellectual bullying.

:p

I am ready for intellectual bullying anywhere on the internet, because... well it's internet  ;D
Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition 2013 with Cherry MX Blues. Blank keycaps, braided cable and plasti dip / vinyl wrap soon.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 02:17:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The Razer is your first mechanical keyboard?  It's a good place to start, but you might soon find yourself wondering about other keyboards.  And other keycaps.

Unfortunately the Razer has a non-standard bottom row (Ctrl-Win-Alt-space-...) so you will find it difficult to get keycap sets that will fit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline uTukan

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 13:46:09 »
Hello, thanks and sorry for late response!

True, it is my first keyboard, I bought it second hand for cheap. But I am already thinking about getting Pok3r..

I know about the non-standard bottom row, but I thought it's only related to space? I already ordered white blank PBT keyset form banggood which I'm planning on dyeing red or black and this might be a problem. If it was only with the space that'd be fine, since there are no legends on it as of now, but if it's related to other keys as well, that might need some more work, I'd probably just sandpaper the legends off.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 03:41:35 »
Hello, thanks and sorry for late response!

True, it is my first keyboard, I bought it second hand for cheap. But I am already thinking about getting Pok3r..

I know about the non-standard bottom row, but I thought it's only related to space? I already ordered white blank PBT keyset form banggood which I'm planning on dyeing red or black and this might be a problem. If it was only with the space that'd be fine, since there are no legends on it as of now, but if it's related to other keys as well, that might need some more work, I'd probably just sandpaper the legends off.

Ctrl and Alt are too big, and Win and Menu are too small, plus that space bar.  Although some sets might include the larger and smaller modifier keys, the space bar will be a killer.

The BlackWidow is basically: 1.5x 1x 1.5x 6x 1.5x 1x 1x 1.5x

A more conventional ANSI layout is: 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x 6.25x 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x

Nearly all sets cater for ANSI, a few will include the BlackWidow modifier keys, except the space.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline uTukan

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 13:36:45 »

Ctrl and Alt are too big, and Win and Menu are too small, plus that space bar.  Although some sets might include the larger and smaller modifier keys, the space bar will be a killer.

The BlackWidow is basically: 1.5x 1x 1.5x 6x 1.5x 1x 1x 1.5x

A more conventional ANSI layout is: 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x 6.25x 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x

Nearly all sets cater for ANSI, a few will include the BlackWidow modifier keys, except the space.

Yup, already figured it out, my keyset is going to work, only there will be a small gap between space and alts (space will stay 6u but alts will be 1.25 not 1.5). Thanks!  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 04:42:55 »
Feel free to post a pic when you've done :