Author Topic: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (Shipped)  (Read 1068705 times)

Offline KaminKevCrew

Re: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (PCBs In Production)
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:33:52 »
Man, i really wished i had the $$ for this when it was available

Me too.  :'(

Man, i really wished i had the $$ for this when it was available, great to see it coming together

If you guys want there's still time to squeeze you in since orders for production parts haven't been made yet.   ;)
I thought something like this might happen ;) koalapear being an absolute bro!!! (too bad I don't have the money, or I would possibly see about adding another one or two of these...)

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #301 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 17:34:58 »

Man, i really wished i had the $$ for this when it was available, great to see it coming together

If you guys want there's still time to squeeze you in since orders for production parts haven't been made yet.   ;)

Temptation is real........
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 December 2015, 18:32:19 by Spaceman1200 »

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 21:31:24 »

You know you want it.

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #303 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 19:58:10 »

You know you want it.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #304 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 20:13:33 »

You know you want it.

Nice!

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #305 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 23:43:11 »

You know you want it.

:D

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #306 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 13:05:28 »
Alright, I finally got one of the proto PCBs soldered up with some gloriously terrible complicated blacks (didn't want to waste good switches on a test mule):

My solder job isn't the best and I was too lazy to clean off the flux but it works flawlessly! :p

I'm going to be getting together with my uncle on Wednesday to do the modifications to one of the proto cases for the fitment check. If that all looks good then we should be ready to start placing orders for everything.

I thought you guys should know that we are most likely going to be getting the plates done with waterjet instead of laser since the laser guy my uncle works with has been super flaky. It shouldn't change anything as far as the final product goes but I originally said they were going to be laser cut so I wanted to keep you all in the loop!

I'll update you guys again once we get the fitment test done!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 December 2015, 13:07:48 by koalapear »
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline E3E

« Reply #307 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 13:39:48 »
Alright, I finally got one of the proto PCBs soldered up with some gloriously terrible complicated blacks (didn't want to waste good switches on a test mule):

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

My solder job isn't the best and I was too lazy to clean off the flux but it works flawlessly! :p

I'm going to be getting together with my uncle on Wednesday to do the modifications to one of the proto cases for the fitment check. If that all looks good then we should be ready to start placing orders for everything.

I thought you guys should know that we are most likely going to be getting the plates done with waterjet instead of laser since the laser guy my uncle works with has been super flaky. It shouldn't change anything as far as the final product goes but I originally said they were going to be laser cut so I wanted to keep you all in the loop!

I'll update you guys again once we get the fitment test done!  :thumb:

Mule *****es get what they deserve! >:D 

Looks good though, man! It's so crazy looking back to the original you posted on reddit and seeing how it's actually come this far. Never did I think you'd turn it into a group buy like this.

I'm excited to see how this progresses, especially to see how people deck out and customize their boards. I expect AT LEAST a few sick dye jobs on the caps. :P

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #308 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 14:10:44 »

Ugh. Man, you are so awesome, but I still don't have the monies.  :'(

I had hoped--dreamt, this would happen, but that I'd have the funds. Alas, it was not meant to be.  :-[

Offline E3E

« Reply #309 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 14:16:21 »

I had hoped--dreamt, this would happen, but that I'd have the funds. Alas, it was not meant to be.  :-[

Find the weakest link in your collection and sell it! Then buy in! Hahaha.

Nah, I know that'd be hard. D:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #310 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 14:24:00 »

That's the tricky part. I have a couple of Bros that I have dupes of, and I've been mulling over the past week whether I should sell them. Part of me says I should since I have dupes of them already (mind you, they're different colors, but the same cap), but part of me says that I should never part with a Bro I won in a raffle...

Offline E3E

« Reply #311 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 14:30:07 »

That's the tricky part. I have a couple of Bros that I have dupes of, and I've been mulling over the past week whether I should sell them. Part of me says I should since I have dupes of them already (mind you, they're different colors, but the same cap), but part of me says that I should never part with a Bro I won in a raffle...

The artisan game is real! It would definitely give you the cash needed, but you'd just have to figure out what you place more value in, rare and select artisan caps that are pretty exclusive, or a complete custom keyboard like this, that in itself is pretty exclusive. Now, if koala decides to run this again, then I'd suggest just waiting over selling the bros, if you have the patience for it!

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #312 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 20:50:18 »

The artisan game is real! It would definitely give you the cash needed, but you'd just have to figure out what you place more value in, rare and select artisan caps that are pretty exclusive, or a complete custom keyboard like this, that in itself is pretty exclusive. Now, if koala decides to run this again, then I'd suggest just waiting over selling the bros, if you have the patience for it!

I don't really see me doing another run since this run hardly happened as it is. :-X
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline Pikly

« Reply #313 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 21:23:23 »

I have an extra kit ordered that I will be selling at some point, perhaps you will have the funds then. :)

Offline stoic-lemon

Re: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (PCB Prototypes Done and Working)
« Reply #314 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 20:44:35 »
I need to place an order for some FET's and 10k resistors next so I can work on controllable underlighting. I'll have a few extras I can toss koalapear's way for inclusion with a pcb if anyone wants. Just let me know here in this thread or via PM so I can make sure I grab enough.
One more thing to add, I can grab LED's and resistors as well. It will probably have to be all the same color for anyone who wants these, but we'll work that out once everyone has registered interest. I think the total cost of the parts would be around $13-15. $2-3 if you want only the FET and resistor and will source the LED's/resistors yourself. That includes fees and shipping and a little padding jic, the final cost should be lower.
I'd like to have the required parts for underlighting too. White LEDs of course.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #315 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 21:30:00 »
Underlighting support is complete!

I spent a bit of time today to familiarize myself with TMK's backlighting code and got that whipped up. By default the boards will assume that B6 is connected to CAPSLOCK and C6 is connected to UNDERLIGHT. Pressing Fn+Numlock will cycle through 3 brightness levels plus off. It's not too hard to add more brightness levels, but these seemed like a good start.

As far as the bulk purchase of LED's and FET's goes, I've only gotten a couple responses. Unless a bunch more people speak up the LEDs will be white. I will place the order for the LEDs at the same time we place the production PCB order (which can happen as soon as koalapear is done with his fitment tests.)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #316 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 21:44:33 »
Exciting news! I'm sure 3 brightness levels will be plenty. And I believe I was one of the folks who originally spoke up for white so you already have my answer there.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #317 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 22:19:40 »
Out of curiosity, would RGB be technically possible?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #318 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 22:31:34 »
No. Each LED on this board only has one lead. RGB requires three.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #319 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 22:40:34 »
Would the controller have enough pins if we sent the other wires to the led by hand?

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #320 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 22:46:32 »
Would the controller have enough pins if we sent the other wires to the led by hand?

Unfortunately I'd have to rework the board pretty significantly to do this. You could design a small daughterboard to do it maybe.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #321 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 22:56:15 »
Ah, I didn't know that, but I suppose it makes sense.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #322 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 23:08:14 »

Unfortunately I'd have to rework the board pretty significantly to do this. You could design a small daughterboard to do it maybe.
No worries! (I don't want to anyway, I was just curious...)

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #323 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 01:30:38 »
Once again, thanks for the work on this.

Offline Sockets

« Reply #324 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 02:17:40 »
I need to place an order for some FET's and 10k resistors next so I can work on controllable underlighting. I'll have a few extras I can toss koalapear's way for inclusion with a pcb if anyone wants. Just let me know here in this thread or via PM so I can make sure I grab enough.
One more thing to add, I can grab LED's and resistors as well. It will probably have to be all the same color for anyone who wants these, but we'll work that out once everyone has registered interest. I think the total cost of the parts would be around $13-15. $2-3 if you want only the FET and resistor and will source the LED's/resistors yourself. That includes fees and shipping and a little padding jic, the final cost should be lower.
I'd like to have the required parts for underlighting too. White LEDs of course.

Me too!

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #325 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 17:29:59 »
I'd love the parts for some white leds as well!

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #326 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:59:26 »
I'd be in for some white led's as well

TFW you get an AEK in the mail only to realize you have the caps from another one you salvaged earlier in the year

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #327 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 15:02:34 »
I'd be in for some white led's as well

TFW you get an AEK in the mail only to realize you have the caps from another one you salvaged earlier in the year
Oh man! Then you should just get a second monarch ;)

I managed to snag an AEKII in fantastic condition for all of $45 shipped. I'm really happy about that :D

Also, I just put some white LEDs in my main board right now, and they look so much better than the pink ones I had before, so I suppose I'm going to order more of these. They were all of ~$5.00 shipped for 100 to me from China, since I live near a main port, which was awesome. Looks like I'll be ordering a ton more!!!
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2015, 15:28:39 by KaminKevCrew »

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #328 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 20:20:19 »
OK, I've figured out the tentative underlighting purchase. I have selected these components:

The LED's are not the brightest ones I could have chosen, but they're brighter than average. With 16 of them your board will be plenty bright.  :cool: None of this is set in stone, so if you would like a different component instead of what I have chosen please speak up.

Here's the pricing breakdown:

Qty PerPrice PerTotal
LED18$0.359$6.462
82R Res18$0.016$0.288
MOSFET1$0.266$0.266
10K Res1$0.049$0.049
Shipping (Estimated)$2

Here's how this will work:

• You PM with your paypal address and how many underlighting kits you want
  • Just before New Year's I will figure out final pricing and send out paypal invoices
  • You will have until 1/7 to pay
  • I'll place the order with Mouser
  • I receive monarch PCB's, load them with firmware
  • Your underlighting components will be included with the monarch PCB

As always, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #329 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 20:25:19 »
OK, I've figured out the tentative underlighting purchase. I have selected these components:

The LED's are not the brightest ones I could have chosen, but they're brighter than average. With 16 of them your board will be plenty bright.  :cool: None of this is set in stone, so if you would like a different component instead of what I have chosen please speak up.

Here's the pricing breakdown:

Qty PerPrice PerTotal
LED18$0.359$6.462
82R Res18$0.016$0.288
MOSFET1$0.266$0.266
10K Res1$0.049$0.049
Shipping (Estimated)$2

Here's how this will work:

• You PM with your paypal address and how many underlighting kits you want
  • Just before New Year's I will figure out final pricing and send out paypal invoices
  • You will have until 1/7 to pay
  • I'll place the order with Mouser
  • I receive monarch PCB's, load them with firmware
  • Your underlighting components will be included with the monarch PCB

As always, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.
PM'd. Thanks as always for your awesome work on this!

My boards:
More

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
Underlighting
« Reply #330 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 13:45:25 »
Happy new year everyone! I know I said shortly before new year's in my original post, but holidays have a way of throwing time estimates way off. ;)

I'll be putting together invoices today, please pay them as soon as you're able. I will place the order next Thursday, so if you haven't paid by then you may not get a set.

The good news is that these kits will be cheaper than planned. We had enough people sign up that I was able to get a better price break on LED's and resistors, and shipping will be only $5 for economy meaning each person will be responsible for ~$0.56. The new breakdown looks like this:

Qty PerPrice PerTotal
LED18$0.198$3.564
82R Res18$0.006$0.108
MOSFET1$0.266$0.266
10K Res1$0.049$0.049
Shipping$0.56
Paypal Fees$0.18
Total$4.73

I plan to round everyone's total up to an even $5, so that I can buy a few extra LED's and a MOSFET. There's only 7 people in the buy which amounts to a total of $1.89. Those extra components will go to koalapear in case anyone gets a dud and needs a replacement or two.

One last annoying detail, if anyone is a California resident I will be required to collect sales tax from you. I am making this purchase under my business so that people outside California don't have to pay sales tax, but I can't do anything about it for people who live here. It's the price we pay for such nice weather. :cool:

Offline Spaceman1200

Re: Underlighting
« Reply #331 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 14:20:30 »
Happy new year everyone! I know I said shortly before new year's in my original post, but holidays have a way of throwing time estimates way off. ;)

I'll be putting together invoices today, please pay them as soon as you're able. I will place the order next Thursday, so if you haven't paid by then you may not get a set.

The good news is that these kits will be cheaper than planned. We had enough people sign up that I was able to get a better price break on LED's and resistors, and shipping will be only $5 for economy meaning each person will be responsible for ~$0.56. The new breakdown looks like this:

Qty PerPrice PerTotal
LED18$0.198$3.564
82R Res18$0.006$0.108
MOSFET1$0.266$0.266
10K Res1$0.049$0.049
Shipping$0.56
Paypal Fees$0.18
Total$4.73

I plan to round everyone's total up to an even $5, so that I can buy a few extra LED's and a MOSFET. There's only 7 people in the buy which amounts to a total of $1.89. Those extra components will go to koalapear in case anyone gets a dud and needs a replacement or two.

One last annoying detail, if anyone is a California resident I will be required to collect sales tax from you. I am making this purchase under my business so that people outside California don't have to pay sales tax, but I can't do anything about it for people who live here. It's the price we pay for such nice weather. :cool:

Good stuff man! Invoice received and paid!

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #332 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 14:36:02 »
Sorry it's been so long since my last update.

I've been working on finalizing the CAD files after correcting some fitment issues with the bottom plate cutouts lining up with the PCB. Once we make sure everything is good with them then we'll be sending them off to the waterjet!

Also we've gotten an update from the PCB fabricator (just assembly left):

We're getting there!  :thumb:

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #333 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 09:22:55 »
Sorry it's been so long since my last update.

I've been working on finalizing the CAD files after correcting some fitment issues with the bottom plate cutouts lining up with the PCB. Once we make sure everything is good with them then we'll be sending them off to the waterjet!

Also we've gotten an update from the PCB fabricator (just assembly left):

Show Image

Show Image

We're getting there!  :thumb:

Looking good!

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #334 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 16:54:14 »
Hey guys, I am going to be ordering some of GON's aluminum feet to use with this sometime this week, would anyone here want to add some to my order (so only one person has to pay the high shipping). I would just receive them and re ship to you.

GON's aluminum feet

The price for Shiny Silver (non anodized) is US$ 11.00, and the cost for an anodized set is US$ 16.50.

Offline SJHL

« Reply #335 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 17:15:34 »
Hey guys, I am going to be ordering some of GON's aluminum feet to use with this sometime this week, would anyone here want to add some to my order (so only one person has to pay the high shipping). I would just receive them and re ship to you.

GON's aluminum feet

The price for Shiny Silver (non anodized) is US$ 11.00, and the cost for an anodized set is US$ 16.50.

Sent you a PM.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #336 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 23:29:59 »
I've just placed the order for underlighting components. Thanks everyone for paying so quickly. You're the best group buy participants ever!

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #337 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 23:35:15 »
I've just placed the order for underlighting components. Thanks everyone for paying so quickly. You're the best group buy participants ever!
:D I think that also has to do with the fact that there are what, 20 of us?

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #338 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 23:48:26 »
:D I think that also has to do with the fact that there are what, 20 of us?

Quality over quantity. :D

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #339 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 03:14:46 »
I've just placed the order for  :thumb: components. Thanks everyone for paying so quickly. You're the best group buy participants ever!

:thumb:

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #340 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 09:57:30 »
heh we are a dedicated bunch.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #341 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 13:05:41 »
heh we are a dedicated bunch.

You kinda have to be when you drop all of that money on a GB :P

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #342 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:28:49 »
The PCBs are done and on the way to skullydazed!  ;D

I also got the shipment of rubber feet in!

In other not-so-great news we're having some issues with the waterjet guy hiking up his pricing from his original quote. Currently waiting to hear back from another place to see if we can get a better price. I really wish things were moving along faster than they are, and I apologize for the lack of progress as far as the production of the cases goes. I'm going to try my best to get these to you guys before February is over (not sure how realistic of a goal that is though). Once we get the plates cut then it should be smooth sailing from there (famous last words).

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #343 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:32:37 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

In other not-so-great news we're having some issues with the waterjet guy hiking up his pricing from his original quote. Currently waiting to hear back from another place to see if we can get a better price. I really wish things were moving along faster than they are, and I apologize for the lack of progress as far as the production of the cases goes. I'm going to try my best to get these to you guys before February is over (not sure how realistic of a goal that is though). Once we get the plates cut then it should be smooth sailing from there (famous last words).
It may be famous last words around here, but I think that this whole project (and everyone involved) have been exceedingly good about communication, and I really appreciate that.

Also, since there is such a low volume, if the need arises, I would be willing to help with any organizing or anything else that needs doing, since my job gives me a ton of free time.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #344 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 19:02:04 »
That's very unprofessional of the guy to increase the price if one was already agreed upon. Regardless though, this GB has been moving very fast and as KaminKevCrew said your communication has been excellent.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 15:30:18 »
That's very unprofessional of the guy to increase the price if one was already agreed upon. Regardless though, this GB has been moving very fast and as KaminKevCrew said your communication has been excellent.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It may be famous last words around here, but I think that this whole project (and everyone involved) have been exceedingly good about communication, and I really appreciate that.

Also, since there is such a low volume, if the need arises, I would be willing to help with any organizing or anything else that needs doing, since my job gives me a ton of free time.

Thanks for the support guys!  ;D

Well I found another waterjet place that looks like they do really good work and are very professional. They say they should be done in about five days.

I also ordered the Lexan from my local supplier which should be ready for me to pickup in a day or two.

The shipping boxes are also in and are a perfect fit allowing for ample room for padding around your precious Monarchs.

Hopefully everything will be ready to take up to my uncle's next week and we can get started on some CNC work!  :thumb:

Offline Pikly

Re: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (In Production)
« Reply #346 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 20:23:36 »
That's great news koalapear, thank you for all the work you're putting into this; so excited this is happening!

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #347 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 21:00:19 »
Eeeeeexcellent.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #348 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 22:49:54 »
Wooooooo! Awesome!

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #349 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 14:16:01 »
Just got back from picking up the polycarb!

Water bottle for scale  ;D