Author Topic: List of ps2 usb Adapters That Work on IBM M  (Read 3583 times)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
List of ps2 usb Adapters That Work on IBM M
« on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:38:50 »
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/ps2_adapters

I ran across this great wiki, but it's definitely not been updated for some of the newer adapters out there and also some obscure ones that work like the Radio Shack 26-241 this one by trendnet:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-USB-1-1-Converter-TU-PS2/dp/B0007T27HI/ref=cm_cr_pr_pl_footer_top?ie=UTF8

So what have you used that works that isn't in the wiki?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: List of ps2 usb Adapters That Work on IBM M
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:59:54 »
I have never had a problem, even with the most cheap-ass $1 ebay ones from China.

The only time I had a glitch was with a laptop running on battery only.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:53:49 »
I have never had a problem, even with the most cheap-ass $1 ebay ones from China.

A Model M hooked up to a laptop with no access to mains power... This sounds like a situation that has no reason to exist in nature.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 21:58:25 »

Good to hear!  Seems like most modern ps2-usb adapters are either drawing the right current or the newer usb ports are properly supporting 500ma power now.
A Model M hooked up to a laptop with no access to mains power... This sounds like a situation that has no reason to exist in nature.
Exists for me all the time--I have a separate case for my M and it goes with me almost everywhere.  I think I pulled it out on a plane once when the seat next to me was empty and used both trays to set up my working environment, lol.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 22:17:37 »

Good to hear!  Seems like most modern ps2-usb adapters are either drawing the right current or the newer usb ports are properly supporting 500ma power now.
Exists for me all the time--I have a separate case for my M and it goes with me almost everywhere.  I think I pulled it out on a plane once when the seat next to me was empty and used both trays to set up my working environment, lol.

I think since they upped the current for USB 3.0, most USB controllers are doing a much better job at this.

I have to ask, what did the other people on the plane think of you with all that click-clacking?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 23:20:58 »

I think since they upped the current for USB 3.0, most USB controllers are doing a much better job at this.

I have to ask, what did the other people on the plane think of you with all that click-clacking?
Yep, seems like ps2-usb adapter problems for Ms has gone away as time has moved on.  And the oldest keyboard in the world still works...

I think because of how airplane flight has a lot of white noise in the higher frequencies, it must not have been loud.  Plus, the plane was quite empty.  I think I recall no one in the adjacent rows.

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 11:02:06 »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 11:12:02 »
Trendnet causes BSODs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B0007T27HI/ref=mw_dp_cr
Where did you see that?  I read almost all the reivews that had the word 'IBM' in them and never saw anything like that.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 11:30:15 »
Orihalcon's PS/2 to USB adapter works with Model M keyboards, but some IBM keyboards with first and second gen controllers may not work with the LED's.  The Caps/Num/Scr work fine, but no illumination.  I don't know why, but otherwise the adapter works fine.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 12:34:28 »
Orihalcon's PS/2 to USB adapter works with Model M keyboards, but some IBM keyboards with first and second gen controllers may not work with the LED's.  The Caps/Num/Scr work fine, but no illumination.  I don't know why, but otherwise the adapter works fine.

Neat!  I had no idea those existed. :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:16:15 »
Orihalcon's cables come with almost any connection you need for M/Fs and terminals.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 16:04:56 »
Orihalcon's cables come with almost any connection you need for M/Fs and terminals.
Yeah and it seems they're readily available on ebay too.  Good to know!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 16:41:44 »
Yeah and it seems they're readily available on ebay too.

They are pricey but very clean and well-crafted.

Sometimes he has beige available for the Model M SDL-to-USB ones which is also nice.

Also there is a Geekhack discount. Contact him directly.

- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 18:54:59 »
Yep, they look well made and quality worth of attaching to an M.  Beige would be nice as it would look almost stock.  I saw his original geekhack posting just earlier today.  I always like buying direct so people can save the ebay/amazon/whatever fee.  Plus, you have someone to call if there's an issue.