Author Topic: Good news everyone!  (Read 2445 times)

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
Good news everyone!
« on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 07:21:48 »
After only a week of browsing this site, deskthority, and r/mechanical keyboards I've become completely hooked on the hobby. I've decided it's probably about time to immerse myself in the community since it seems so damn knowledgeable and  tight-knit. I'm really looking forward to learning more about MKBs and building up my collection.

This is what I've just ordered in the past week to get me started:
  • Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with MX Browns (this is actually my current keyboard)
  • Pok3r with MX Blues
  • Blue/Green Backlit KB Paradise v60 Mini with MX Clears
  • x2 60% Tex Aluminium Cases (silver and blue)
  • Danger Zone SA Keycap Set
  • Yellow/Blue/Grey Paracord USB from /u/90N1NE
  • Vortex Doubleshop PBT Keycaps (white and blue)
  • x2 NPKC Blank PBT Keycaps (light blue and mango)
  • x3 Hot Keys Project Artisan Keycaps (Black/Purple Trooper & Raven, Steel Blue Armor Cap v2 (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61096.0)

I know I may have gone off the deep end with these initial purchases but I wanted some base materials to mix-and-match until one of my ideal keycap sets comes out again (Calm Depths & Penumbra) or I get myself on an endgame keyboard (I'm aspiring for the long term goal of an IBM SSK or Kishsaver -although I'd be more than happy with a Model M).

A long winded introduction I know, but I'm really excited (dare I say passionate?!) about this random ass hobby I found out about last week. None of my friends understand. They think I've gone crazy  :)) Looking forward to meeting you all.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2015, 07:41:14 by mobbo »
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Good news everyone!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 07:23:37 »
Damn that's a grip of cash you spent in just a week. Welcome to wallethack :P

Enjoy your stay here :)

Offline raymogi

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 07:23:52 »
Nice haul there mobbo!

Welcome, enjoy your stay, and keep that wallet open :)
Please feed my addiction.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 12:17:25 »
Whoa, dude. That wallet control...  :eek:

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 12:41:47 »
:eek:
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 16:51:13 »
How do you guys control yourselves  :'(

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 16:52:58 »
How do you guys control yourselves

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 02:23:17 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Here is an excellent thread about wallet control, or lack thereof.

That's an impressive shopping list.  Your idea about getting a bunch of stuff and mixing and matching is excellent!  I have all sorts of things I've collected since I joined, and sometimes I put weird combinations of things together to see how it looks.  Picking up a few artisan keycaps along the way means I can put the occasional matching, or perhaps contrasting, highlight on a keyboard too.

This is a very deep rabbit hole, as you have probably already started to realise.

SSKs are not that difficult to find these days.  I was looking for one for a while, and ended up with two of them!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 09:04:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's an impressive shopping list.  Your idea about getting a bunch of stuff and mixing and matching is excellent!  I have all sorts of things I've collected since I joined, and sometimes I put weird combinations of things together to see how it looks.  Picking up a few artisan keycaps along the way means I can put the occasional matching, or perhaps contrasting, highlight on a keyboard too.

This is a very deep rabbit hole, as you have probably already started to realise.

SSKs are not that difficult to find these days.  I was looking for one for a while, and ended up with two of them!

Thanks, I needed to read that.

Hopefully I'll be content with my keyboards for now - just looking out for artisans and keycap sets that I can't do without. I really want to enter the artisan trading game but I know it'll take a lot of work to attain anything people are interested in. I haven't bit the topre bullet yet, but I think I can hold off a little longer.

I keep telling myself it's better to have a long wishlist than to just buy it all outright - in a "journey is more fun than the destination" kind of way. I've been having the most fun just learning and looking forward to achieving certain goals.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 05:09:49 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks, I needed to read that.

Hopefully I'll be content with my keyboards for now - just looking out for artisans and keycap sets that I can't do without. I really want to enter the artisan trading game but I know it'll take a lot of work to attain anything people are interested in. I haven't bit the topre bullet yet, but I think I can hold off a little longer.

I keep telling myself it's better to have a long wishlist than to just buy it all outright - in a "journey is more fun than the destination" kind of way. I've been having the most fun just learning and looking forward to achieving certain goals.

Hint: You'll probably never be happy with your keyboards, but over time you will be able to select deals better, rather than just impulse buying.

I have just acquired another keyboard from my ever-shortening wish list.  It needs a little bit of work, but that's exactly what I wanted.

Now I just need the time to work on it :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 05:23:42 »
you wanna see what ACTUALLY going off the deep end in this world is like?

VISIT MY BLOG FOR ANCHOR BLUE BEYOND BAGGY DENIM DEALS

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 14:57:07 »
you wanna see what ACTUALLY going off the deep end in this world is like?

VISIT MY BLOG FOR ANCHOR BLUE BEYOND BAGGY DENIM DEALS

Show Image

IM CONFUSED BUT I LIKE IT

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 15:20:16 »
I feel like a lot of people start out with a huge variety like you (though maybe not as quick). You'll probably go through phases where you like/want different features as well, but will eventually (hopefully) learn to what you really want in a keyboard and find that buying and holding off from buying keyboards gets a lot easier :D
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 10:20:53 »
I feel like a lot of people start out with a huge variety like you (though maybe not as quick). You'll probably go through phases where you like/want different features as well, but will eventually (hopefully) learn to what you really want in a keyboard and find that buying and holding off from buying keyboards gets a lot easier :D

That's exactly it. I want to get a good idea of my preferred switch type & keyboard layout, which can take a lot of experimentation. Then I imagine I'll single out one or two boards (I know, optimistic) as my main drivers for work and home and focus on getting them dressed up with keycap sets, artisans, and any mods I may decide to implement. That's the supposed game plan at least  :))

One problem I'm facing is that I love the 60% board size for customizing/looks and have already ordered two. Part of me really wants an HHKB as my Topre board but three 60%'s almost feels like overkill. A nice HHKB though entices me more than a Realforce (only aesthetically - I'd have to try them both out to comment on the quality) but I do quite enjoy the Tenkeyless layout in terms of practical use.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 10:25:04 »
Holy ****. If your wallet can support that kind of splurge, have fun. If not, get help.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 11:22:20 »
Holy ****. If your wallet can support that kind of splurge, have fun. If not, get help.

Let's just say this hobby has not yet affected the amount I'm saving every month, so as long as that remains stable I should fall in to the "having fun" category. Also, keep in mind that I purchased all this stuff kind of as a "starter kit" with keycaps, different kinds of switches, and options to change appearance (cases, cables, etc.) and hopefully I'll be slowing down quite substantively - only really going for my most desired keycap sets and artisans. 

I may need help with Artisan sales/raffles though.... :eek: