Author Topic: Giveaway #2 | Escapism Keys **SHIPPED**  (Read 1167886 times)

Offline bcredbottle

Re: **CLOSED** Collective Action Problems (CAPs) | free resin Alps escape keys
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 15:16:41 »
Mine is not as tight as a professionally moulded key but it is a good fit on my SKCM Blues. I have Fukka, Tai Hao, SKBM, Matias, CS, and a few others I could test it on too.

Were there any defects on the stem?

Show Image

Perfect

lol jk  :))

Fits prettyyy good. I moved it to tilde where it fits the profile well but there it would stay stuck on the downstroke. It wasn't catching the case so idk what the problem is, it could even be the switch. I moved it to another key on the same row and it works perfect there for some reason.

LMAO Sorry about that. If you send it back to me I'll be happy to dremel the inside a little to make sure it doesn't do that.

Offline dutC4

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 17:03:48 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 15:08:48 by dutC4 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 17:25:03 »
Mine is not as tight as a professionally moulded key but it is a good fit on my SKCM Blues. I have Fukka, Tai Hao, SKBM, Matias, CS, and a few others I could test it on too.

Show Image

Perfect

Fits prettyyy good. I moved it to tilde where it fits the profile well but there it would stay stuck on the downstroke. It wasn't catching the case so idk what the problem is, it could even be the switch. I moved it to another key on the same row and it works perfect there for some reason.

LMAO Sorry about that. If you send it back to me I'll be happy to dremel the inside a little to make sure it doesn't do that.
nah, it fits excellent on every switch I've tried except the tilde, it honestly could be a problem with the switch because the alps on my aekii are ridiculously inconsistent. Right now it's chilling on my numlock but if I end up wanting it somewhere else and it sticks I'll just sand it out on my own time. Thanks for the beautiful cap :)

As someone who's dealt with a few keyboards worth of Alps switches, I can definitely attest for some switches having sliders that have a very loose socket for the key cap. Some where the resistance is so light, you could pull the cap up with barely any effort, so it's very possible that it's the switch itself and not the artisan cap.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 10:38:51 »

Show Image

Perfect

nah, it fits excellent on every switch I've tried except the tilde, it honestly could be a problem with the switch because the alps on my aekii are ridiculously inconsistent. Right now it's chilling on my numlock but if I end up wanting it somewhere else and it sticks I'll just sand it out on my own time. Thanks for the beautiful cap :)

As someone who's dealt with a few keyboards worth of Alps switches, I can definitely attest for some switches having sliders that have a very loose socket for the key cap. Some where the resistance is so light, you could pull the cap up with barely any effort, so it's very possible that it's the switch itself and not the artisan cap.

Hmmm. That might be the issue. It might also be resin shrinkage, which would be a big PITA b/c then you gotta create a master key that is sized just perfectly so as to shrink to the size you want. Either way, I'm going to start testing my finished products on multiple Alps sliders to see what the deal is.

BTW, new WIP potato pics in OP. Let me know if you guys like the WIP stuff and I'll create more for the next giveaway.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
Re: ___WIP pics___Collective Action Problems (CAPs) | free resin Alps escape keys
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 17:47:51 »
I like the new stuff. The first one looks like some ice cream or cake with sprinkles and the second looks pretty nice.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
Re: ___WIP pics___Collective Action Problems (CAPs) | free resin Alps escape keys
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 17:53:47 »
If you make a deep blue soda keycap, am I allowed to call dibs?
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2015, 18:07:03 by Deductivemonkee »
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 18:02:38 »
I think it's time to start an Making Things Together thread.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 18:06:41 »

I second this.

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 18:13:26 »

I'll ask a mod to move it.

Moved. Thanks user 18!
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2015, 19:36:18 by bcredbottle »

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 19:39:30 »
If you make a deep blue soda keycap, am I allowed to call dibs?

Yes.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 07:49:02 »
Both the cake and soda caps look cool :P
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 23:47:54 »
Are you going to be doing another giveaway soon? I just came across this thread and I really want an Artisan for my V60MTS-Q! Great work you're doing! I'm into it!! :thumb:

I don't know why more people aren't making these. I know Alps aren't as popular as MX or Topre, but they're definitely making a comeback, thanks to Matias!!

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 06:05:09 »
Are you going to be doing another giveaway soon? I just came across this thread and I really want an Artisan for my V60MTS-Q! Great work you're doing! I'm into it!! :thumb:

I don't know why more people aren't making these. I know Alps aren't as popular as MX or Topre, but they're definitely making a comeback, thanks to Matias!!

My alps mold just broke but I'll make another one. I have a 1.5u MX mold that will probably feature heavily in the next giveaway.

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 10:17:34 »

My alps mold just broke but I'll make another one. I have a 1.5u MX mold that will probably feature heavily in the next giveaway.
Sounds good!! Bummer it broke though. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 01:44:02 »
that cake keycap is lookin good... it's so pretty  ;)
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 13:37:54 »
It's a shame about your mold. I look forward to seeing you progress with a new one  :thumb:

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 21:38:20 »
Can't wait for the next giveaway! I can't express how much the soda cap looks like translucent play-doh that somebody squished their finger into, I love it.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 05:50:21 »
Can't wait for the next giveaway! I can't express how much the soda cap looks like translucent play-doh that somebody squished their finger into, I love it.

Next giveaway will happen sometime in December I think. I have some Soda caps left over and I'll probably put them in the giveaway but I'm not sure I'm going to make them anymore. I'm experimenting with a lot of new techniques and I'm exploring different aesthetic themes.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:56:19 »

Next giveaway will happen sometime in December I think. I have some Soda caps left over and I'll probably put them in the giveaway but I'm not sure I'm going to make them anymore. I'm experimenting with a lot of new techniques and I'm exploring different aesthetic themes.

Postan here to keep track of those sweet Paulson caps!

Offline E3E

Re: Giveaway #2 | Escapism Keys
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 04:53:10 »
New caps are up! Not sure if this should be a new topic, but as long as you guys can keep up with the thread. This is complementary bump. :)

Offline squishygnomes

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 05:39:28 »
Nice job, they look great  :thumb:

No. 11 and 12 are easily my favourites. You've already explained 12 but I'm curious how you did 11, my initial guess is just partially mixed pigments but I don't know much about resin casting so I have no idea whether thats right or not.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 06:05:51 »

No. 11 and 12 are easily my favourites. You've already explained 12 but I'm curious how you did 11, my initial guess is just partially mixed pigments but I don't know much about resin casting so I have no idea whether thats right or not.

Just clear resin w/ no pressure or vacuum applied. Those bubbles are defects

Offline E3E

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 06:22:44 »

But really cool ones!

Offline squishygnomes

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 07:29:56 »

Ooooooh, I get it now. It looked like a black or red keycap with the other colour only partially mixed in to me but now that you've explained it I can see the bubbles. Even if they are technically a defect it still looks baller.

But really cool ones!

damn right they are.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 07:35:40 »

Ooooooh, I get it now. It looked like a black or red keycap with the other colour only partially mixed in to me but now that you've explained it I can see the bubbles. Even if they are technically a defect it still looks baller.

But really cool ones!

damn right they are.

Honestly, resin bubbles give me nightmares. I just made the bubbly caps b/c people kept asking for them.

I will admit that they look cool under backlighting (at least on E3E's board)

Offline E3E

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 07:59:19 »
Here's a quick album I made of all the key caps (aside from the 1.5u modifier MX artisan, since I don't have my MX board out).

This is to show off the backlighting more than anything. The grey/magenta/blue cap doesn't look so good with backlighting, but a brush of paint on the inside would solve that.

Somehow, I think that most people aren't going to be worrying about backlighting in this case anyways. :P

For those that wish to see the pictures in this thread as opposed to on imgur for whatever reason, please click below:

More

Offline TheJonas

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 09:07:56 »
The confetti one looks awesome!

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 13:51:24 »
Looking good  :thumb:
I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I'm good at it

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 14:28:20 »
The confetti one looks awesome!

Looking good  :thumb:

Thank you! I'm a sucker for approval and compliments so  you guys brightened my day

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 19:23:33 »
I really like 011 and 013 myself.  :thumb:
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 19:38:17 »
I do not need, nor deserve them, but oh my gawd 012. These look great  :)

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 23:16:48 »
12, 13, and 15 :D awesome.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 15:28:31 »
The giveaway is open. Instructions are in OP.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Giveaway #2 | Escapism Keys | _____________OPEN until 12/18
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 15:33:44 »
Entered! Here's hopin' I get that sweet Paulson Noire cap to pair with my chip!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
Re: Giveaway #2 | Escapism Keys | _____________OPEN until 12/18
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 15:44:27 »
Favorite keyboard moment:

When I first started getting into mechs I had my Chicony 5161 down in our CS lab. A bunch of people were working on projects that were going to be due soon so people were coming and going all night. Everyone would stop and start messing with keys and my professor also came by and was super excited by it. He used to work on software engineering and loved his clicky keyboards.

Offline bcredbottle

Re: Giveaway #2 | Escapism Keys________________Giveaway OPEN
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 19:38:27 »
Updated some missing pics in OP.

Offline ika

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 19:59:36 »
Favorite keyboard moment... hmm... I think the most amount of sheer joy I've ever had in an instant over keyboards was when I was building the B.87 I'm typing on now; I had an issue getting my computer to recognize the board and spent days agonizing over what I did wrong, bugging multiple people, including Hojin himself. Eventually Hojin recommended that I just reflow the solder joints (even though I had already done that) and try again. Lo and behold, after making sure every damn joint on the board was perfect, I plugged it in, and was rewarded with light. Like a week's worth of frustration released through my hands as I shot them up towards the heavens, fists clenched in victory.

Lesson learned - never be so cocky in your own skills so as to assume that you would never make a mistake.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 20:00:37 »
Favorite keyboard moment... hmm... I think the most amount of sheer joy I've ever had in an instant over keyboards was when I was building the B.87 I'm typing on now; I had an issue getting my computer to recognize the board and spent days agonizing over what I did wrong, bugging multiple people, including Hojin himself. Eventually Hojin recommended that I just reflow the solder joints (even though I had already done that) and try again. Lo and behold, after making sure every damn joint on the board was perfect, I plugged it in, and was rewarded with light. Like a week's worth of frustration released through my hands as I shot them up towards the heavens, fists clenched in victory.

Lesson learned - never be so cocky in your own skills so as to assume that you would never make a mistake.

Aww... I thought it was when you built my board. :(

Offline ika

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 21:56:59 »

Aww... I thought it was when you built my board. :(

Close second! If I hadn't already made a 60% with Leandren's plate before yours (with the aforementioned PCB and soldering problem) it would be yours.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 22:36:55 »
Amazing work, 'BCBRNR 010' is my favorite :)

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 23:09:20 »
These look great! I love that alps artisans are becoming a thing :thumb: Favorite keyboard moment: before my first mechanical keyboard I did the most logical thing, purchased a switch tester housing MX red, black, blue, green, brown and clear. After testing for a week I found my preference for the stiffer switches, black, green and clear. Considering my girlfriend and I had just moved in together and that I work from home (often typing +75 emails/day) I decided not to completely ruin our relationship in 1 day by buying a board with green switches. Instead, I was planning on purchasing a Poker2 with clears but she beat me to it and bought me my first mechanical keyboard for my birthday. When the keyboard arrived she couldn't understand why I had chosen the clear switches. I explained that I didn't want to annoy her with the loud "clickity" profile the green switches offered, to which she replied "Hmm, I guess I like the sound of the green switches better." So, I bought her a model M which she loves and she is still unable to figure out the what the layers are on the poker2.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 23:15:40 »
Optional feel good keyboard story:

Several months ago, I started my IC for an alps keycap buy.  It gained good feedback and tons of input, but seemed to fall down a bit when it actually came time to do the GB - it failed.  I was not deterred after seeing all of the positive feedback and pushed forward.  Over the couple months of running my Alps Infinity Mods GB, I was able to meet many wonderful people in this community and get a ton of wonderful insight into the amazing world of alps caps.  Nubbinator was always available for me to pick his brain when I got stuck, and it would not have happened without his input.  Also during the buy, njbair did an amazing job of advertising the wonders of alps and how much better off people would be with the set in their life.  Overall it was a wonderful experience (my Wife thinks differently  :rolleyes: ), but she was happy when it ended. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 23:55:28 »
Form submitted!

I made some original content that got onto the front page of reddit. It was a picture and a video of my planck filled with Sadster keys! Thousands of karma points, people posting compliments, people asking 'how do i get one of these' generally felling special. Then.... came the inevitable - people calling me 'bear hands' (FML) and making fun of the standard of my typing (to be fair it was pretty awful, but it's hard to be in the zone when you film yourself). Just your standard fallout from doing something that is popular enough for the masses to decided it's cool to **** on it.

So whats good about that? Well, after in the hangover from all of those fake internet points I compared some of the comments I got on reddit* to the small handful I got on GH.

For those small 'nice' or 'good job' comments; from reddit they really mean very little, on GH I actually knew most of the people and it was cool that I had impressed them. For the inquisitive questions about the board; on reddit I replied to the first few and got no acknowledgement then I just gave up... people where asking the same questions over and over not even reading the other comments. On GH I always feel like replying knowing it won't be lost in a see of ****. Finally, when people roast you; on reddit you are just being 'rekt' by twelve year olds with a sick meme ref.... on GH it's like having a stand up comic pick you out and just destroy you with a perfectly personalized truth bomb. And god damn do I respect that type of troll.

TL;DL: being 'mainstream popular' for a day because of something keyboard related made me deeply appreciate our little niche community corner here on GH  :thumb:

*when I say 'reddit' I mean the general reddit userbase, not the mechanicalkeyboard subreddit  :llama:

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 00:04:13 »

gave my dad a complete set of jukebox for his mech  (just an old rosewill with blues)  :D

he's a HUGE fan of the 50s and 60s and restores jukeboxes as a hobby! When I first saw Jukebox SA I knew I had to get it for him- it's probably my favorite present I've ever given anyone
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2015, 00:12:37 by linkshine »

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 00:06:48 »

gave my dad a complete set of jukebox for his mech :P

he's a HUGE fan of the 50s and 60s and restores jukeboxes as a hobby! When I first saw Jukebox SA I knew I had to get it for him- it's probably my favorite present I've ever given anyone

That's an awesome story - novelties included obviously? :P

He must have been over the moon.

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 00:10:50 »

gave my dad a complete set of jukebox for his mech   :D

It was pretty cool because I usually drive my family nuts (mainly my brothers) constantly linking them to artisans and keysets trying to get them into the hobby. Finally my dad 'kinda' got it on a small scale- haha.
I got my brother an SSK for Christmas- so maybe I can convince him to get a buckling springs artisan some day. Only one's he's every shown interest in are the rustler and the keywok- lol.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2015, 00:13:27 by linkshine »

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 00:14:37 »

gave my dad a complete set of jukebox for his mech   :D

It was pretty cool because I usually drive my family nuts (mainly my brothers) constantly linking them to artisans and keysets trying to get them into the hobby. Finally my dad 'kinda' got it on a small scale- haha.
I got my brother an SSK for Christmas- so maybe I can convince him to get a buckling springs artisan some day :D Only one's he's every shown interest in are the rustler and the keywok- lol.

haha nice mate! making it a family affair, I like it!

I've tried to swing my gf across (to the dark [artisan] side), she loves the snackeys :D

Offline E3E

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 06:42:09 »
Let me firstly say this:

Holy ****, it's going to be hard to pick my favorite keyboard moment here! Everyone's is so cool and unique! I've read them all so far. ;)

gave my dad a complete set of jukebox for his mech  (just an old rosewill with blues)  :D

Hey, hey, but you didn't say what he thought of the set! What was the first reaction he had when you lain your gifts? :D

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 09:17:21 »
Let me firstly say this:

Holy ****, it's going to be hard to pick my favorite keyboard moment here! Everyone's is so cool and unique! I've read them all so far. ;)

Hey, hey, but you didn't say what he thought of the set! What was the first reaction he had when you lain your gifts? :D

Honestly, he wasn't sure at first what it was- jukebox isn't overtly obvious about what its going for- but the novelties REALLY help solidify the theme. I think he was a bit intimidated by SA at first, but he loves it know. I've never seen him type on another board since, but I like to imagine him having to do something on my moms pc and her rubber dome and thinking "wtf is ****?" I'll ask him around x-mas. I'll take some pics of the living room jukebox on it next time I'm over :D It's filled with Christmas oldies atm.