Author Topic: NIB IBM 73X3832 (Quiet Touch SSK) $60 shipped  (Read 2771 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
NIB IBM 73X3832 (Quiet Touch SSK) $60 shipped
« on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 03:50:24 »
I just posted this at the end of our discussion of these boards, but didn't know if you guys would see it, so I'm posting it here too:

IBM 73X3832 Quiet Touch Compact Terminal Keyboard, New Old Stock (eBay)

113921-0

As most of you will know, this is not a mechanical keyboard; it's a high-quality rubber-dome board. And it's a terminal board, so it won't work without a converter or controller replacement.

But it is an IBM, and it's NIB (the first I've seen, actually), so I thought some of you guys who collect one of everything might be interested.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: NIB IBM 73X3832 (Quiet Touch SSK) $60 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 04:38:07 »
Damn they've got an ISO-like layout too!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:11:03 »

All the 122s and these unsavers have ISO-style enter and short left shift.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline t8c

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:26:47 »
Anyone know what material the caps are made from? Hoping for PBT  :cool:

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 20:36:51 »
Anyone know what material the caps are made from? Hoping for PBT  :cool:

I don't have one myself, but I believe they are PBT dyesub.

Honeywell rubber dome switches / sliders. Not compatible with IBM BS though : (

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 05:57:03 »

All the 122s and these unsavers have ISO-style enter and short left shift.

Yeah, a shame about that,

Must have been a popular layout with terminal users.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 05:22:02 »
Aw, you get used to it quickly enough.

My laptop here in Canada is ISO (all keyboards sold in Canada are required to support French as well as English) and I didn't even know there was a name for that till I started hanging out here. Then one day I looked at it and realized: Right, it's ISO! 'Twas a fun moment of KB insight.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 10:39:05 »
Pretty neat!  Is this the same rubberdome technology on the rubberdome Ms?  If so, it's a pretty nice feel.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 07:21:00 »
Pretty neat!  Is this the same rubberdome technology on the rubberdome Ms?  If so, it's a pretty nice feel.

I believe they were made by Honeywell, so they wouldn't feel exactly like the RD M's. Standards were generally pretty high back then, though, so I'd guess it would still be a pleasure to use. And "time capsule" boards like these won't keep appearing forever.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 11:52:58 »
Agreed.  There's going to be a point when even the Ms are going to disappear.  Along with civilization, lol.