Author Topic: Massdrop - HHKB Metal Case  (Read 41304 times)

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
Re: Massdrop - HHKB Metal Case
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 07:19:44 »
I find this highly amusing that everyone was whining wanting a HHKB metal type case for aaaaaages only for one to be made one comes out and no-one wants to buy it, lol just lol
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 07:41:13 »
Can't we just put some feet in the bottom to give it a curve?

I actualy really like the case.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 07:45:55 »
Looks like it's 2 inches thick... which is weird.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 07:56:15 »

I actualy really like the case.

+1, 3M should have a bunch of different options.

it reminds me of my Kmac happy which i love.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 08:10:50 »
Massdrop> It [...] comes with feet to allow for a flat or a tilted profile.

It's a given that we'll get feet, but I'm one of those heathens that uses the extended legs for maximum slope action on mine, so it'd be really nice to know the extent of the angle on the aluminum case with the added feet.

Another thing I realized might be an annoyance is- will the sliders (stock/silent/Novatouch) hold in the housing when you separate the top case from the PCB? If the answer is no, then anyone that regularly gets inside their HHKB is likely going to have to perform the more cumbersome task of inverting the top piece and installing the domes by sheet/by string/individually into the housing. It'd make performing the ol' lift off the top, do your business, then set it back down on the PCB likely result in a bunch of sliders dropping out during the transitions each time.

I'm nitpicking a lot of things, but an aluminum case w/ embedded housings has substantially more impact on the smoothness of Topre than the standard housing + plate for MX, where the housing is still a separate ordeal. I've always wondered why no one has just created a floating plate case (like a GON) for the HHKB that allowed you to transplant stock Topre housings into the plate and then just build it out from there. It's much more feasible than a full-blown aluminum case, and the end result would likely be typing experience similar to that of a Realforce/Leopold.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 08:16:22 »
I find this highly amusing that everyone was whining wanting a HHKB metal type case for aaaaaages only for one to be made one comes out and no-one wants to buy it, lol just lol

I find it amusing that 10 people say it is ugly and you immediately lump them in with "everyone" and "no-one".
I find it amusing that you are "lol"ing.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 08:20:22 »
Interesting. If I weren't so overspent on keyboard paraphernalia, I would buy the case just to satisfy my curiosity. Among other things, I'd like to know how the aluminum switch housings will affect the sound and feel of the switches.

Maybe they will sell peaked roofs as well for that Monopoly hotel look ....

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 08:51:49 »

I find it amusing that 10 people say it is ugly and you immediately lump them in with "everyone" and "no-one".
Okay let me rephrase that then;
I find it funny that the ones who have been very vocal about wanting a metal HhKb case are now saying when one is avalible they don't want it and it's ugly.

^this makes me laugh what did you all expect for the first case? It's pretty impressive to see it

I restate my opinion of "lol" as I still am
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 08:55:55 »
For anyone confused why people are disappointed with the brick design. 

Here's a reminder of what the HHKB looks like.

Real HHKBs have curves

Untitled by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:00:15 »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:19:50 »

I find it funny that the ones who have been very vocal about wanting a metal HhKb case are now saying when one is avalible they don't want it and it's ugly.

^this makes me laugh what did you all expect for the first case? It's pretty impressive to see it

I don't see your logic, honestly.  Just because people want a type of thing doesn't mean they should want whatever thing that gets made.  And this is actually a big deal because it likely kills any chance of us seeing a community-made case, something that actually would have feedback put into its design.  I mean, it already killed mistakemistake's project so I'm not even theorizing in that regard.

Personally, I'll mull over this since the brick is ugly (even if you can slope it with feet, it's still really thick), the hub placement seems weird and I really don't want to drop $200 without knowing how it affects the typing experience.  I don't like MD having rushed into this. 

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:33:36 »

it's very cool that it got made, but People won't buy something just because it's made, it actually has to look somewhere close to what people want, plus we haven't seen any reviews , typing tests, or anything else.

I give them an A for effort, an F for when it comes to thinking about the design and what people actually want in the big picture of the design.

The look is part of the HHKBs appeal, just like how the viper was wanted, it had that look that people like.

People aren't willing to throw almost the cost of the HHKB itself just to get a case that people don't even like the look of.

For $200, it has to be more.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:36:34 by Air tree »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:40:17 »

I don't see your logic, honestly.  Just because people want a type of thing doesn't mean they should want whatever thing that gets made. And this is actually a big deal because it likely kills any chance of us seeing a community-made case, something that actually would have feedback put into its design.  I mean, it already killed mistakemistake's project so I'm not even theorizing in that regard.

Personally, I'll mull over this since the brick is ugly (even if you can slope it with feet, it's still really thick), the hub placement seems weird and I really don't want to drop $200 without knowing how it affects the typing experience.  I don't like MD having rushed into this. 

Right on. And Air Tree, too.

How is this thing "pretty impressive", Fire Brand? What about it impresses you? Can you please stop your "lol"ing for two seconds and explain who EXACTLY has "been very vocal" about a metal case and shouldn't be unhappy that this thing is an abomination.

Or just post a pic of one of your toys. You can always fall back on that.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:44:39 »
Is it safe to say it's a brick because that's the cheapest shape to have made?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:47:08 »

Yep.  Material and tooling costs would have increased to make a proper curved and sloped case like the HHKB, which apparently doesn't fit Massdrop's vision.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:48:23 »
I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, but making an incline and shaving off and smoothing off the edges of the case really add a lot of cost?

I'd be a bit warmer even if there was less of the extra girth on the edges, it looks off.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:50:40 »
Have there been shots of the inside?

I'm curious how the internals are mounted that might shine some light on design choice

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:53:10 »
Have there been shots of the inside?

I'm curious how the internals are mounted that might shine some light on design choice
This is the best shots we got.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:53:24 »
I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, but making an incline and shaving off and smoothing off the edges of the case really add a lot of cost?

Yes.  You'd either have to have a greatly increased mill time where you kept the piece in the same position and milled the slope in, or (what actually happens in most case) you re-seat the block at an angle and mill the top "flat" which then has a slope.  Or they might have a crazy 6 axis mill or whatever that can just do that without repositioning.

Also, I don't know if people just missed it, but the HHKB actually has a proper curve to the top.  It's not just sloped.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:53:42 »
I wish it sloped from back to front, and had some chamfering or other finishing along the edges. Nevertheless, it is an impressive product and a good price point.

Exactly!

I hate boxy looking aluminium case, just like the Digilog case.

It is ugly, wait, no sorry, it just looks like a brick, so it is brick-handsome.

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:53:50 »

I'd be a bit warmer even if there was less of the extra girth on the edges, it looks off.
You would need more than 3-axis cnc machine to fully replicate the hhkb case. Designing the 3D model wouldn't be easy as well. Plus you would need thicker alu plate at the beginning to achieve those curves which easily adds more to the total costs of producing one.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 09:56:05 »
That's the thing though, if MD had worked with the community they could have been explaining what would happen if they were to go with a more HHKB-like design.  Tell us about the pricing/production time differences and there could have been a vote or something.  Maybe people would have been fine with increased price/production time, but we won't know now.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 10:06:28 »
That's the thing though, if MD had worked with the community they could have been explaining what would happen if they were to go with a more HHKB-like design.  Tell us about the pricing/production time differences and there could have been a vote or something.  Maybe people would have been fine with increased price/production time, but we won't know now.

That would have been the smart thing to do. Now instead we just watch and wait to see if enough people bite on them cutting corners (or lack of cutting corners :p ).

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 10:42:49 »
Crap. I didn't even notice it was a brick.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 10:48:02 »
-snip-
Right on. And Air Tree, too.

How is this thing "pretty impressive", Fire Brand? What about it impresses you? Can you please stop your "lol"ing for two seconds and explain who EXACTLY has "been very vocal" about a metal case and shouldn't be unhappy that this thing is an abomination.

Or just post a pic of one of your toys. You can always fall back on that.
Its pretty impressive something like this has even been made as many interest checks for this and ideas have already failed in the past so that impresses me, I personally don't mind the look of it my opinion I just find it nice and am impressed a HHKB case HAS BEEN MADE, not theorised as all the others but actually made, that in its self is impressing no matter what anyone says.

My "loling" is at most of those (Not picking on people but to name a few) Nubbs, Your self, and airtree for example shooting it instantly down without even having a review of it, maybe its the best thing ever? how would you know as you have yet to see it in action, anyway moving on I think just to see this even happen is a massive deal even if its via massdrop (I have no problem with them) yes the person who is creating this could of asked for community help, but it's there own vision of how it should look maybe everyone should be more frigging constructive in how it could be made better than what you did and post gif's.

TLDR; no matter what hhkb case gets made its not going to appeal to everyone.

as for your last comment what's wrong with me posting images of things I take enjoyment in and wish to share with people, I don't say anything about the stuff you post so you don't need to about mine unless it offends you, anyway if you want to talk more feel free to pm me, or even better join the teamspeak in my sig I'm always more than happy to talk to you.

My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 11:05:56 »
If you notice in my post, I complained about any lack of reviews or thoughts on it, from an outside source. With something like this, a case should be sent to a reviewer.

In my opinion.

And just to point out, reddit, Geekhack, and MD comment section, most people are sharing the same thoughts on the matter, so it's not about appealing to everyone, it's more just appealing to the people who an HHKB case is aimed at.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 October 2015, 11:08:47 by Air tree »

Offline Vizir

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 11:18:37 »
wonder how an aluminum case would work with Hasu's BT mod...

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 11:36:09 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:10:40 by alienman82 »

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 11:53:08 »
Just buy it! We need to hit moq :)

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 12:23:34 »
Looks like a ****ed up lego block... Had me hype for a minute though... sigh
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 16:45:22 »
Shiiiiiit.

I was so excited at first, but this looks like crap. Part of me wants to get it anyway just to have an alu hhkb case, but damn, it's so unattractive.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 18:28:17 »
Wish they had taken user input... Can't buy this
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 October 2015, 23:36:56 by Vizir »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 21:23:35 »
And this is the "air" version, imagine the "pro" one?

:)) :)) :))

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 21:34:08 »
It actually looks like there are holes drilled possibly for the tex aluminum feet

edit: Scratch that...just reread the drop, and it DOES come with feet...dammit...now I want another HHKB....time to sell my 10AE  :p
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 October 2015, 21:36:33 by exitfire401 »
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 21:40:18 »
I don't mind that its flat, but seems incredibly thick (uhh, that's what she said?).

If I'm judging the dimensions correctly, its as tall as the back of a standard HHKB. Which makes it a no-go for me. OK, just measured, and it pretty much is as tall as the back of the HHKB case.

I was irritated at first - I pre-ordered a Surface Pro 4, so don't really have the funds for something like this right now. But, eh, the compromises (in my mind at least) just aren't worth it.

For reference: the case is 1.2 inches tall. The front of normal HHKB is under 3/4 of an inch tall, so its basically half an inch taller in front.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 October 2015, 21:41:51 by keshley »

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 01:42:09 »
By the way the description says it comes with feet for a flat or tilted profile.

I quite like it.  Actually I'd probably like a naked HHKB plastic case too :))

But I would prefer one in a similar shape to the conventional HHKB case - I have become too accustomed to mine as it is.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 03:46:46 »
By the way the description says it comes with feet for a flat or tilted profile.

But I would prefer one in a similar shape to the conventional HHKB case - I have become too accustomed to mine as it is.

The funny thing is, if I bought this and transplanted a working HHKB into it, the first thing I'll do is hunt down all those mangina's in this thread and bash their fvcking heads in with my new keyboard brick.  I would choose a RED colour to mask all the blood that will be covering it  ;D .

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 03:50:15 »

The funny thing is, if I bought this and transplanted a working HHKB into it, the first thing I'll do is hunt down all those mangina's in this thread and bash their fvcking heads in with my new keyboard brick.  I would choose a RED colour to mask all the blood that will be covering it  ;D .

+1
Although, mine is going to be champagne. I totally won't be denying anything :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 07:31:52 »

I'd get the first shot in with my 4704 107-key. You don't stand a chance.

Keep your ugly HHKB case out of my house.

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 07:35:00 »
In  all honesty I dont like the case but I'm excited for future cases for the hhkb.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 08:58:41 »

I'd get the first shot in with my 4704 107-key. You don't stand a chance.

Keep your ugly HHKB case out of my house.

I don't care McBain... .that .. that cannon of yours is against regulation!

114150-0

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 09:33:53 »
Quality assurance commitment: This new HHKB brick case will turn your thock into a solid knock, your handsome friend into a hulk; if that were not enough, this case will take all the ergonomics of your HHKB out, or we give you a full refund.

Design philosophy: We do not ask you, because you do not know what you want in a HHKB case, we cannot care less about what you think; because we know the future, and what innovation is; therefore, for the sake of you own benefit we have designed exactly what you do not know that you want.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 09:42:20 »
Here it is with the feet for a tilted surface:

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 10:26:35 »
Here it is with the feet for a tilted surface:

(Attachment Link)
[/quote
Lmao good one.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 15:06:05 »
The case is ugly, what were they thinking?
... ...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 15:12:21 »

Maybe that buyers are blind.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 03:29:48 »

Maybe the more appropriate question would be that the HHKB design is so disgusting to look at, no matter what casing it resides in.

It's more like a remote control layout rather than being a REAL keyboard at all.  Yet the suckers who bought the original HHKB seem bereft of any sense of reality, when handing over $300+ for an all plastic joke keyboard for dummies.

Glad I kept using an authentic keyboard layout rather than some foolish arrangement for 'special people'  :-* .

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 03:33:39 »

Maybe the more appropriate question would be that the HHKB design is so disgusting to look at, no matter what casing it resides in.

It's more like a remote control layout rather than being a REAL keyboard at all.  Yet the suckers who bought the original HHKB seem bereft of any sense of reality, when handing over $300+ for an all plastic joke keyboard for dummies.

Glad I kept using an authentic keyboard layout rather than some foolish arrangement for 'special people'  :-* .
Blasphemy! How dare you insult HHKB, the mother of all keyboards, you, you, you Cherry peasant, you! :P

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 03:43:45 »
buzz, your hhkb case... woof.

cant wait for people to start ruining their HHKB sliders by running plastic in a metal barrel. absolutely no thought put into this product at all... just proft motive.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2015, 03:45:27 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 04:33:55 »

some dirty convicts just can't appreciate the finer things in life  :))