Author Topic: Shaving, Razors, etc. What you use?  (Read 38331 times)

Offline Marizen

Re: Shaving, Razors, etc. What you use?
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 18:28:31 »
I went to The Art of Shaving last weekend looking for some soaps, brush, stand, and a shallower bowl than the one I have.

F THAT

$30 for soap
$40 for after shave lotion
$60 for a badger brush, $120 for a thicker badger brush

He tried to offer me 20% off, or a kit that basically came with a free soap (still like $175 total).

Uhhhh I'll have to think about it *walk away and never look back*.

Hell, even the more expensive soaps generally are $15-$20. Ain't no way I'm spending $30. And $40 for after shave lotion??? That's ridiculous. The Nivea Sensitive post shave balm is one of the most highly recommended from what I've seen, and only costs like $5 at Target. I guess the brush isn't too much of a ripoff depending on what you're comparing it to because brushes can get very expensive.

They had a Merkur 34C in there and I wanted to see how much they marked it up, but I didn't want to take any more of the guy's time because there was no way I was buying anything in there.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 March 2016, 18:30:45 by Marizen »

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 18:51:08 »
I went to The Art of Shaving last weekend looking for some soaps, brush, stand, and a shallower bowl than the one I have.

F THAT

$30 for soap
$40 for after shave lotion
$60 for a badger brush, $120 for a thicker badger brush

He tried to offer me 20% off, or a kit that basically came with a free soap (still like $175 total).

Uhhhh I'll have to think about it *walk away and never look back*.

Hell, even the more expensive soaps generally are $15-$20. Ain't no way I'm spending $30. And $40 for after shave lotion??? That's ridiculous. The Nivea Sensitive post shave balm is one of the most highly recommended from what I've seen, and only costs like $5 at Target. I guess the brush isn't too much of a ripoff depending on what you're comparing it to because brushes can get very expensive.

They had a Merkur 34C in there and I wanted to see how much they marked it up, but I didn't want to take any more of the guy's time because there was no way I was buying anything in there.

Use online stores. Maggard Razors is my go to. (Yes, I will continue to recommend them considering their great service and fast shipping times.)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 19:37:26 »
Nivea products (other than the scrub) wreck my face. There are tons of decent alternatives to the most sought after products. I've used a boar hair brush once. The lather I got from it was like frothy milk :(. I think investing in a decent badger brush is the way to go.

I'm going to check out Maggard tonight. Thank you
Chris Schammert

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 19:39:52 »
Nivea products (other than the scrub) wreck my face. There are tons of decent alternatives to the most sought after products. I've used a boar hair brush once. The lather I got from it was like frothy milk :(. I think investing in a decent badger brush is the way to go.

I don't think the brush is the issue. Sounds like too much water in the lather. A badger brush is still a great brush though but I get great lathers with my badger brush.

Maggards has everything you could need though wet shaving wise.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #204 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 04:58:15 »

I have Omega boar brush, and also Epsilon hoese and badger Zenith one. And i must say that I use everyday mainly boar and horse brushes. Badger brush I found to be great for face lathering, but I prefer bowl lathering. As for lather - first you need a decent amount of soap/cream on a wet brush, soaked in warm water, then add some water in a bowl (on the fingertips) and begin to make lather. If there are too little of it or it is too thick, add some more.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #205 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 05:06:20 »

I don't think the brush is the issue. Sounds like too much water in the lather. A badger brush is still a great brush though but I get great lathers with my badger brush.

I checked out Maggards. I think I'll try one of their razors sometime in the future

I have Omega boar brush, and also Epsilon hoese and badger Zenith one. And i must say that I use everyday mainly boar and horse brushes. Badger brush I found to be great for face lathering, but I prefer bowl lathering. As for lather - first you need a decent amount of soap/cream on a wet brush, soaked in warm water, then add some water in a bowl (on the fingertips) and begin to make lather. If there are too little of it or it is too thick, add some more.
Alright, thank you for clearing this up. If I find I don't like badger I'll try a decent boar brush

Chris Schammert

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 14:17:37 »

I checked out Maggards. I think I'll try one of their razors sometime in the future

Alright, thank you for clearing this up. If I find I don't like badger I'll try a decent boar brush

I definitely like boar brushes. They seem to be a bit more fragile than badger though.
Biking is fun.

Offline BIZ!

• It's gonna be great!
« Reply #207 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 10:55:12 »
I've been using a Safety Razor, specifically a Merkur Progress to shave.  It holds a double edge razor blade. 
The japanese razor blade company "Feather" makes outstanding blades that last a few weeks then you replace it. 
It's way less expensive than buying Gilette or Mach 8 cartridges.
Ducky Shine 3 |  IBM Model M  | Razer Orbweaver  | ErgoDox Infinity

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #208 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 13:32:19 »
I just put my face on fire two times a weak. That burns e'm f**kers right off.

But seriously... a brush? Don't that get nasty and all after time passes? I like to use shaving cream and replace my blades once a month max.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #209 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 16:52:35 »
Shaving, Razors, etc. What you use?

Black Widow Ste… oh wait. :D

Just kidding. ;)