Author Topic: How often do you lube?  (Read 7784 times)

Offline maroder

How often do you lube?
« on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 06:28:58 »
Hi,

I lubed the stabilizers of my keyboard a few weeks ago and the feeling is really great. Now I was wondering how often you guys renew the lube? Is there any rule for reapplication?

Thanks and Cheers,
Maroder

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: How often do you lube?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 06:34:55 »
insert cheap joke here

i would imagine that you really only need to do this once unless you're in a very dirty/dusty environment.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 06:44:54 »
I would say it greatly depends on the lube used and your environment along with your typing style and frequency.

Offline maroder

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 06:57:38 »
insert cheap joke here
OK, thanks guys. Will reapply some lube to the stabalizer when tapping it starts feeling scratchy again.  :-X

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:51:38 »
Whenever she tells me to.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:53:23 »
i would imagine that you really only need to do this once unless you're in a very dirty/dusty environment.

This. I've never re-lubed any of the switches.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 14:51:10 »
Whenever you can't get it in.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:19:52 »
I prefer to go in dry myself.

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:46:32 »
That is what she said.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:35:18 »
How often do you lube?
Now I was wondering how often you guys renew the lube?
Is there any rule for reapplication?
I'm sorry dude but I'm not sure how you thought you were going to get any serious answer out of this - LOL  :):):))
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:02:01 »
You guys remind me a very funny story when I explain to the Vietnam customs regarding the lube oil, they keep asking me what is the oil for? normally the industry lube is yellow or red, why this one is so transparent? is it for human? =))  I just gave up on them and asked them to use the tariff code 27101943 (5% import duty + 10% VAT)  :rolleyes:

I would say it greatly depends on the lube used and your environment along with your typing style and frequency.

+1 for the answer

I like linear switches

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:49:20 »
I've never lubed any of my boards though I am thinking that I might want to try lubing my Clears. I'm going to wait for my Zealio switches 1st to decide if I really want to both lubing the clears as they are supposed to be much smother.

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 05:13:43 »
Giggity

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 06:50:27 »
I should've expected some of these responses, but they still made me laugh  ;D ;D

I heartily agree with SpamRay. Different lubes and different qualities so this matters a lot.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 06:52:50 »
don't forget that adding more lube means your switches will attract more dust. use lube as sparingly as possible, i would say that the amount you use is just as dependent on how often you apply it becase like i said, it's not exactly going anywhere. it may slooooooowly break down over time but we're talking years, you might not even be using the same board / switches for that long (unless you're an ibm nerd).

obviously that's not hard and fast but face facts: we're fickle and we switch up our keyboards a lot. most people who use the same mech for years and years dont give a crap about lubing, they're also very likely not 'enthusiasts' but people who found a board they liked and moved onto more important things.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:08:44 »
So since the OP asked about stabilizers you guys think lubing frequency might be different for stabilizers versus switches?

If I lubed switches it would probably be a one time thing but I could see where stabilizers might need relubed depending on stabilizer type, lube used, environment and how often you swap caps as this could mess with the lube especially on costar boards if you pull the wires out.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:11:01 by SpAmRaY »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:50:49 »
So since the OP asked about stabilizers you guys think lubing frequency might be different for stabilizers versus switches?

If I lubed switches it would probably be a one time thing but I could see where stabilizers might need relubed depending on stabilizer type, lube used, environment and how often you swap caps as this could mess with the lube especially on costar boards if you pull the wires out.

if you pull out the wires, wipe everything down and reapply. in fact, wiping them down every once in a while is probably a good idea since they're more exposed to dust and air.

but it's probably not a big deal anyways...

Offline raymogi

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:10:29 »
Everytime I do some mods to my keyboard, I usually take the chance to lube the stabilizers.
Please feed my addiction.