Author Topic: Picking a board for more than a month...  (Read 2656 times)

Offline linuxhermit

Picking a board for more than a month...
« on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:27:46 »
So I'm constantly building, buying, selling and trying new boards; however, I never seem to settle on one to use regularly.  My most consistently used boards have been a Planck and a Matias V60. How did you finally settle into a board you use as your daily driver for an extended period of time?  What do you like about it. I've bought/built several high end boards, but I always seem to prefer my simpler boards.  HALP!

The list of what I've tried: Code TKL MX Greens, V60 Clears, DAS 4C Greetech Browns, Ergodox Greetech Browns, V60 Matias Quiet Click, Planck Matias Quiet Clicks, Atomic with MX Clears, Matias ErgoPro with Quiet Clicks, Winkeyless B.87 with Ergoclears, Sprit B.faceW with Ergoclears, Sprit B.face with Greetech Browns, HHKB Type S, NovaTouch, FC660C, MK84 with Greetech Blues
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: Picking a board for more than a month...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:37:26 »
This isn't really an off-topic thread, but...

You seem like the type who likes to try every board you can get your hands on. Some folks prefer getting one board and sticking with it. I think those are two distinct personalities. So then, I wouldn't expect that you'll ever settle into a single board. You'll have your favorites, but in your heart of hearts you're a keyboard vagabond, wandering the keyboard wilderness--not in search of a non-existent "endgame," but for the sake of the journey itself.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:49:53 »
I used to be a board slut like you, then I took a lubed ergo-clear to the knee...

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:54:32 »
I guess the folks at mechanicalkeyboards.com and ortholinearkeyboards.com will continue to love me then... ON TO THE NEXT BOARD!
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:56:17 »
I used to be a board slut like you, then I took a lubed ergo-clear to the knee...
People are still making that reference?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:58:12 »
I know the feeling. I still buy new keyboard to try.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:33:33 »
I'm board slut

I like that Noisy I will be stealing it to call myself when people ask why I have so many keyboards  >:D
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 17:08:47 »
I think I've decided to just focus on Matias (quiet) clicks. Gonna sell off the rest, and already have sold many of the boards on the path. I did add a b.mini with gaterons Blues to the list this weekend...

87UW45FC660C EW

Offline Altis

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 17:37:29 »
I find it really hard to get rid of keyboards unless I genuinely dislike it.

There isn't any one keyboard that's perfect for everything, and sometimes it's just nice to change it up. I do have some that I like to play with but never really use, and I should ultimately consider just getting rid of the ones that I don't use.

Otherwise, it's kind of like a collection. I don't see why you can't have two or three anyways.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 17:46:19 »
I've tried a great many keyboards. Some I have sold, but most I have kept. Quite a few are awaiting refurbishing and might eventually be sold. My current favorites go into a rotation -- these include IBM SSK, IBM XT, and silenced Topre-switch boards (HHKB Pro 2, RF87UB55, RF87UB45, and Novatouch). Sometimes I pull out my V60MTS-Click and occasionally a Cherry mx, but most of the time I come back to the Topre-switch boards, especially the RF and HHKB.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 19:17:33 »
I'm probably never going to move away from the IBM Ms I've basically been typing on for 20+ years, but variety is the spice of life, no?

You don't have to be married to one keyboard.  You can be a keyboard slut!  It's okay!

And don't worry about not liking stuff that's cheap--that's a godsend, lol.

Offline mszy52

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 19:24:32 »
for myself and i assume other people is the fact that mechanical keyboards are expensive gets them set on one for a long time. I used a membrane keyboard for plenty of years until a couple of my friends enlightened me into the world of mech. Since then i have purchased 2 boards, the E-3lue k727 Kailh red switch board and Corsair Strafe with mx browns. The fact that boards are so expensive has got me set on keeping the strafe for a year or so before i really want to upgrade but untill then i try to stay to a single one.
if you dont know what the k727 is i found a review of it:

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 19:30:58 »
Hypersphere love your silencing rings had them on a nova touch and loved them.
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 19:37:29 »
I use my HHKB as a daily driver and it feels great, but, then I get to thinking "maybe there is a better board out there". So besides the HHKB I like to keep a rotating stable of runners up to see if one day she will get dethroned. Current contenders are a RF87UB 45g (uggh not what I had hoped) Sprit Face60 w/ Zealios 67g (just finished building, we will have to see) and I keep my Model M w/ blank caps just for kicks.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 19:46:10 »
I keep saying Topre is my main go to switch but I've been sticking with my SSK for the longest time at home.

I do use HHKBs at work though so it's still balanced.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 19:57:06 »
I tried Topre and bought several boards and it just never hooked me
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline Flossed

• Hai
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:12:45 »
I'm currently switching between lubed 62g korean blacks and my silenced 660c. I'll use one or the other for a week before I switch... We'll see what happens when I get an ergo clear board

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 07:16:07 »
Hypersphere love your silencing rings had them on a nova touch and loved them.
Thanks!