Author Topic: My custom 52%  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
My custom 52%
« on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 06:48:40 »
Just finished up my first custom keyboard  :cool:

I really like the 40% layout but I wanted to add some modifications to better suit my personal needs.

Enter my 52%

Here's the layout. I've been using it for a couple hours now and it's pretty comfortable. Still messing with it though, adding things as I need em.  :p

I added one column to the alpha area (I really needed this as I had a really hard time adjusting to the period location on the jd40) and added 2 more rows to the end for some arrow keys and extras.
I also used all standard keycap sizes for the modifiers so I could have better options for my keycaps.

Barebones Build Log

Plate cut by big blue saw using files from swill's plate builder

Rows and columns all soldered up. (hot glued the switches in as well to keep them snugly in place)

And with the teensy all wired.

Final shot with retro DSA applied  :cool:

So satisfying to type on something I made from scratch.

What's next:

• Finishing the case off.
  • Designing a pcb. Got some work done on it but learning as I go so it's pretty slow goings. Love the look of handwiring but oh my goodness I don't want to do that again anytime soon.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:54:56 by Pemdas »
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline fliptrik

Re: My custom 52%
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 07:50:54 »
This is pretty cool!  :thumb: The dedicated arrow keys are pretty nice. The only weird thing to me would be the "/?" being on the Fn layer. I can understand getting used to the Fn + Shift + key for a question mark, but I'm not sure if I'd ever get used to the slash being there.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 08:53:31 »
Very cool, I always like having dedicated arrows. Home and End are a must as well for browsing the forums in my opinion but I have them as the second function to left and right arrow on keyboard. Are you planning on doing a JD40 style case?
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 09:07:19 »
Oooo. I love new layouts and custom boards. I think you've made kinda what I had in mind about the JD40. It's a bit too minimal but doesn't need too many changes to become more comfortable for my own tastes. I'd love to take a test drive on yours. I think you've got the right idea :). Thanks for sharing the build log!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 09:25:54 »
That's a real 'candy bar' looking keyboard shape you have, I really like it a lot. Looks like the kinda thing you could mount into a larder board shells

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 09:29:23 »
What are you doing for a case? Couldn't you just leave it as is? Or is it too flat?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 12:29:51 »
Home and End are a must as well for browsing the forums in my opinion

I just realized how useful this is, thanks.

Offline BigBlueSaw

• Big Blue Saw
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 12:46:46 »
Thanks for sharing this!

Which key switches to the secondary layout?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:53:57 »
This is awesome, love the rainbow wiring on the back!  Great use of the flat profile of DSA caps too :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:54:15 »
Thanks all :thumb: :thumb:

This is pretty cool!  :thumb: The dedicated arrow keys are pretty nice. The only weird thing to me would be the "/?" being on the Fn layer. I can understand getting used to the Fn + Shift + key for a question mark, but I'm not sure if I'd ever get used to the slash being there.

I've definitely hit shift a bunch while going for "/" and I've hit enter a lot when going for apostrophe, but slowly getting used to it.

What are you doing for a case? Couldn't you just leave it as is? Or is it too flat?
Very cool, I always like having dedicated arrows. Home and End are a must as well for browsing the forums in my opinion but I have them as the second function to left and right arrow on keyboard. Are you planning on doing a JD40 style case?

In terms of case I'll be going the simple route of having layers cut out of wood. JD40 style but with some sides added. I want to complete it to make it a bit easier to carry around and to give it an angle for typing.

I would absolutely love to make a one off aluminum case but sadly I think that's way out of my budget  :p

Thanks for sharing this!

Which key switches to the secondary layout?

Thank you! This wouldn't have been possible without you guys :D

The key to the right of the right shift is the fn key :)
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 16:08:27 »
This is similar to my first MA52 layout only I added the extra columns on the left so with some layers I can have a numpad. I like that you went with normal sized mods so you can actually use keysets and have it work.  :))
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 01:57:22 »
This is similar to my first MA52 layout only I added the extra columns on the left so with some layers I can have a numpad. I like that you went with normal sized mods so you can actually use keysets and have it work.  :))

Funny you say that, when I was first thinking of the layout I was planning on having a numpad on the left. Went with the right side arrow keys cause it saved me one column in size.

One of my favorite things about mechs are the easily swapped out keycaps, so having standard mods was a must. I love my jd40 but I can't use a lot of my keysets with it  :( Even with the caps I have on it now, a lot of the legends don't match up.

Offline Vozella

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 22:21:37 »
I really like the layout.
Also, where did you get those keycaps?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 13:48:37 »
I really like the layout.
Also, where did you get those keycaps?

They're Retro DSA, the group buy was a long time ago. Only chance now would be classifieds.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5