Author Topic: Connecting some (probably ex-hifi) speakers to a PC  (Read 17539 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Connecting some (probably ex-hifi) speakers to a PC
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 18:51:23 »
They look fairly simple inside. 

Silly simple inside. If everything is connected, and still dead, try bringing a pair of hot wires directly to the back of each speaker from the amplifier. Very low volume please to avoid damage especially to the tweeters.

If a valid signal does not produce even a whimper of sound, then the speaker has a problem. If you can get a response from the speakers, then the problem is obviously the plugs/connections or the crossover is completely defunct.

You have verified that the amplifier is powered up, operating, and producing a real signal, right?

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 20:22:54 »
They look fairly simple inside. 

Silly simple inside. If everything is connected, and still dead, try bringing a pair of hot wires directly to the back of each speaker from the amplifier. Very low volume please to avoid damage especially to the tweeters.

If a valid signal does not produce even a whimper of sound, then the speaker has a problem. If you can get a response from the speakers, then the problem is obviously the plugs/connections or the crossover is completely defunct.

You have verified that the amplifier is powered up, operating, and producing a real signal, right?

Both speaker units do work (yet to confirm whether each actual speaker on each side works, but at least both woofers do), but they sound very muffled compared to my old small desktop speakers (which now won't power on at all, but that's a broken power switch and a different story).

I had hoped for a louder, clearer sounds from these large speakers, preferably with lots of bass.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:04:53 »
Both speaker units do work (yet to confirm whether each actual speaker on each side works, but at least both woofers do), but they sound very muffled compared to my old small desktop speakers (which now won't power on at all, but that's a broken power switch and a different story).
I had hoped for a louder, clearer sounds from these large speakers, preferably with lots of bass.

Eh, I think you can do better with new ones.  I just hope I can find you something that will work better for you, especially for a low price.  Replacing all the drivers and a new 3-way crossover with real high-quality gear might be a bit more than you want to spend.

So, looking for something a bit more compact and a bit less pricey than what I was thinking.

I'm hopeful and guessing that the opening at the bottom is for an 8" driver.

And man, it's hard finding audio stuff in Australia.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:38:11 by Snowdog993 »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:22:26 »
I have a set of Sony SS1000 that I would be willing to send out if anyone wants to help out with shipping.  I know they sound good with that little amp since that is what I was using. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:46:53 »

Eh, I think you can do better with new ones.  I just hope I can find you something that will work better for you, especially for a low price.  Replacing all the drivers and a new 3-way crossover with real high-quality gear might be a bit more than you want to spend.

So, looking for something a bit more compact and a bit less pricey than what I was thinking.

I'm hopeful and guessing that the opening at the bottom is for an 8" driver.

And man, it's hard finding audio stuff in Australia.

They are the right size, around 20cm, but each one of those costs about 5 times what the pair of speakers cost.

At this stage I'll just ... dunno.  Too hot to bother about it now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 09:31:11 »
At this stage I'll just ... dunno.  Too hot to bother about it now.

Modern speakers are getting pretty good, and the primary thing wrong with "computer" speakers the size of a shoe or smaller is lack of bass.

One possibility would be to junk everything except one cabinet and replace the single woofer driver. Low frequencies are not directional so one woofer will take care of the entire room and you can shove it in a corner.

As long as you could figure out the proper crossover/volume control/power scenario you could use that together with your "little" speakers.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 10:18:33 »
Sometimes you can actually find an active subwoofer at a thrift shop.  Sometimes you get lucky, even if the driver is shot, that can be replaced.  The biggest thing is you have the amplifier and premade enclosure.
The best score is finding one completely intact!  You actually can.  It just takes a little patience and hunting around.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 11:42:13 »
So I recently powered on my parents old Panasonic 8-track receiver with Panasonic Thrusters speakers.  These had a passive radiator in them so the lower frequencies sounded great, but it was missing the highs.  I somehow recalled that it had sounded a lot better when I was younger.

Then I realized what was different--we would also use the Panasonic dual tape deck we had with tiny 4" speakers at the same time when listening.  The combination sounded wonderful with full frequency response top to bottom.

So why am I sharing the story?  Use your desktops for the highs and use these big guys for the lows.  If they're all on the same wall (or source of sound), you'll hear the sound as one unit.  You may have to fine tune volumes on both before the sound seems seamless, but it's definitely worth a try.

Oh, and to split the audio from the computer, just use a headphone splitter and then connect both systems to the splitter.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 02:07:35 »
I have a set of Sony SS1000 that I would be willing to send out if anyone wants to help out with shipping.  I know they sound good with that little amp since that is what I was using. 

This is generous, but shipping from the US to Australia would be silly expensive.  Given the size of speakers, I'd guess around $80 to $100 shipping :eek:

And to everyone else: the desktop speakers have died.  The power switch (push on/off) won't stay on unless you hold the switch in.  it's been getting worse for a while, and now won't turn on at all.  I could desolder and replace it if I could find a suitable replacement switch.

Also one of the HiFi speakers is now dead, although I don't know if my daughter did something to the cable when she tripped over it, or my opening it has disturbed something.  I opened it again and everything is still plugged in, but that speaker is now completely dead (although the other one still works, albeit being a bit muffled as both were at the start).

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 07:12:11 »
:(  Sounds like everything will have to move on to repair/recyclers/trash soon.

But if it's any compensation, this Sony model sa-d10 (http://www.sony.co.in/product/sa-d10) which is available in the Asia Pacific Rim area according to their site, is an absolute steal for the sound quality.  We bought one for my wife's parents and this little kit rocks a 30x30 room no problem.  It's just regular right and left stereo sound even though it has 4 speakers, but because of the ability to place those speakers where you need them, the sound is really full and clean. 

The wireless remote and multiple input options including direct usb playback are great bonuses.  I actually hooked it up to their tv and now everything goes through those speakers.  Highly recommended if you can pick it up locally as a replacement.  They actually sound every bit as good as the Cambridge Soundworks Microworks system I bought many years ago for 3x the price.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 00:30:46 »
FWIW I have a 5.1 surround sound speaker set, but it's central speaker has a way too thick wire that usually ends up causing that speaker to point at the ceiling, the satellites have many metres of cable that inevitably gets everywhere, and my PC (Mac mini) only has stereo ouput, so this is major overkill.

I used to use it on an old gaming PC with 5.1 sound output, but that machine has long since been retired, and the speakers unused since then.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 02:43:10 »
FWIW I have a 5.1 surround sound speaker set, but it's central speaker has a way too thick wire that usually ends up causing that speaker to point at the ceiling, the satellites have many metres of cable that inevitably gets everywhere, and my PC (Mac mini) only has stereo ouput, so this is major overkill.

I used to use it on an old gaming PC with 5.1 sound output, but that machine has long since been retired, and the speakers unused since then.

Is that from when you used to play The Incredible Machine competitively

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 03:00:59 »

Is that from when you used to play The Incredible Machine competitively

Ahaha no.  That PC I built for Doom 3, although the speakers were a later addition.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 10:19:26 »
Move the sound card! :D

Bummer that the 5.1 set doesn't sit right.  Sell it for cash towards a new 2.1 system?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 10:28:38 »
https://www.audioaustralia.com.au/accusound-speakers-8-6xd-6-200w-2way-bookshelf-or-wall-5yr-warranty.html

That's about the best quality speaker I could find for your money out there Rowdy.  I think you will be very happy with them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 23:01:01 »
Move the sound card! :D

Bummer that the 5.1 set doesn't sit right.  Sell it for cash towards a new 2.1 system?

I was thinking about this, but I suspect the sound card if PCI and I don't know if the replacement PC has any PCI slots (free).

https://www.audioaustralia.com.au/accusound-speakers-8-6xd-6-200w-2way-bookshelf-or-wall-5yr-warranty.html

That's about the best quality speaker I could find for your money out there Rowdy.  I think you will be very happy with them.

Bookmarked thanks - I have other areas that desperately need funding at the moment, unfortunately.  Hence the desire to get the big old speakers working at minimum cost.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 00:11:58 »
I was thinking about this, but I suspect the sound card if PCI and I don't know if the replacement PC has any PCI slots (free).
That was what I was thinking would be the biggest challenge. :( Imagine if the card was an older ISA--then there would have been no chance at all!  :eek:  Luckily, drivers shouldn't be an issue at all.

If there isn't a free PCI slot, you could always get a usb or pci-e sound card--they seem to be cheaper than a good set of speakers.  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 01:31:02 »
That was what I was thinking would be the biggest challenge. :( Imagine if the card was an older ISA--then there would have been no chance at all!  :eek:  Luckily, drivers shouldn't be an issue at all.

If there isn't a free PCI slot, you could always get a usb or pci-e sound card--they seem to be cheaper than a good set of speakers.  :thumb:

I suspect there may not have been any 5.1 sound cards back in the ISA era.

A stereo SoundBlaster would have been as good as it got.  Gotten.  Was.  Had been.  As good as you could get.  Something.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 08:25:54 »

I suspect there may not have been any 5.1 sound cards back in the ISA era.

A stereo SoundBlaster would have been as good as it got.  Gotten.  Was.  Had been.  As good as you could get.  Something.
I thought I recalled a few being available back in that era.  Sound cards really didn't have that much data to move until 5.1 and 7.1 became a thing.  I always found it amusing to find 2 channel sound cards in pci versions when isa cards were definitely fine.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 09:53:40 »
About the best sound card that was available in ISA was the Sound Blaster Awe64 Gold.  I had TWO of them!  I can't imagine they had anything better than that in ISA.  But then again, that was a while ago.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 12:03:26 »
I still have the Awe32 with a Yamaha wavetable board on it--midi never sounded so good. :D  It was fun to just load up Descent just to hear the intro music.