Author Topic: FS: scorpius m10 blue cherry like new $45 orig box  (Read 4272 times)

Offline wellington1869

FS: scorpius m10 blue cherry like new $45 orig box
« on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 02:09:24 »
alright, i waited a day to see if my classified ad would "automatically" open a  marketplace thread -- the way its supposed to -- and it didnt, and i have no idea why, so i'm posting here too.

http://geekhack.org/classifieds.php?do=showad&adid=169&title=fs-scopius-m10-blue-cherry-45-shipped

Like new in original box, $45, shipped free.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 03:37:06 »
Yhpm
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 11:16:33 »
So why are you selling it? I ended up selling both of mine as well because the blues just did not fit me.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 11:18:27 »
i wonder if its the transposition, since it is wellington
not that i dont disagree with him, i also hate it
but i also could not refuse $50 shipped for xsphat's fukka filco (which is supposedly not as bad as some others)

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 11:30:57 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;132875
i wonder if its the transposition, since it is wellington
not that i dont disagree with him, i also hate it
but i also could not refuse $50 shipped for xsphat's fukka filco (which is supposedly not as bad as some others)

Umm...the Scorpius doesn't have transposition issues...
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 11:34:03 »
oh snap youre right that is the M1 (not M10)
time to see if this board is for me, a little cheaper than the G80-3000 i was looking at for blues

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 12:08:20 »
They are known for their build quality issues, but this may or may not have improved in the past while.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 12:12:40 »
Quote from: ch_123;132899
They are known for their build quality issues, but this may or may not have improved in the past while.

Folks with the newer ones say that the build-quality has improved.  Welly got this one not too long ago, so it should be one of the new, better ones.  Even the older ones with the soldering issues were easy to fix, if not just a pain in the ass.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 15:35:23 »
Quote from: rdjack21;132873
So why are you selling it? I ended up selling both of mine as well because the blues just did not fit me.

well, while i wouldnt mind keeping it either, i'm selling it for the following (itemized) reasons:

* blues dont quite fit me either. I've tried them repeatedly and I always gravitate back to the buckling springs no matter what else I try. (Alps (real-simplified) are a close second. I might get the new TP2 when it comes out). So when I found myself back on my endurapro, I figured I may as well sell the m10 if i'm not going to use it that much.

* its a fine board and a great value. I didnt notice any transposition problems with my typing (tho its not true n-key either, which would be ideal of course). I like the pricepoint and that you can get laser etched keys so cheaply. I also didnt see any build quality issues on this one (nor on the last m10 I bought, last year). Altho i know people complain from time to time about getting one with a bum key. (Which goes back to my constant refrain about the importance of return policies from vendors).

* I'm selling off a few of my boards because I'm on a "simplify-my-life" phase again. (it comes and goes, you know how it is).  I sold my filco zero too. I'm considering selling my ibm m13 trackpoint keyboard.

* and finally, i'm selling it cuz I just bought a sony ebook reader (which I really like, by the way) but it cost me a whopping $300 and I'll feel a little less guilty about it if I sell something else I'm not using to defray the cost a bit :-D

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 16:16:08 »
Quote from: wellington1869;132964
I'm considering selling my ibm m13 trackpoint keyboard.

Why don't you keep it and get rid of your Endurapro instead?

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 20:46:12 »
Quote from: wellington1869;132964
* and finally, i'm selling it cuz I just bought a sony ebook reader (which I really like, by the way) but it cost me a whopping $300 and I'll feel a little less guilty about it if I sell something else I'm not using to defray the cost a bit :-D

I keep looking at those but just can't seem to make up my mind.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 21:00:50 »
so i guess now it's M10 vs Majestouch vs G80-3000...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 21:03:33 »
Quote from: ch_123;132974
Why don't you keep it and get rid of your Endurapro instead?

well, this is a good question. You'd think that since they're basically based off the same design, that I'd rather have the official ibm one rather than unicomp, not to mention the real trackpoint on the m13 is far better than the clumsy one on the unicomp.

And yet.... I always return to that damn ugly endurapro, lol.

maybe the following reasons have something to do with it (i'm just brainstorming here):
--endurapro has much smaller form factor (and my desk is mighty crowded). The m13's footprint is, in comparison, gigantic.
--endurapro is usb (single plug); (on the m13 I have to use dual-ps2 cables). This becomes a bit of a pain when I swap boards as I do sometimes.
--By now I've customized the endurapro to the nth degree. Everything on it, right down to the layer of plastidip I laid down on the backplate and the sound-dampening acoustic foam pads I stuck underneath it, is custom. The rubber washers I put under the switches, the sound-dampening silicon grease I put on the buckling springs, the velcro on the keycaps, not to mention the single-layer keycaps I got from ricercar. Its a keyboard that is so completely comfortable for me to use, I know its behaviour inside out cuz I designed it to fit my hands and my tastes.  Doing all that to the m13 would be -- well, sacriliege! Lol.  I dont think i'd have the heart to do that to the venerable m13. The m13 just looks too good, it sounds great, and its a classic. It wouldnt feel right to mess it up, lol.

While the trackpoint blows on the endurapro, I dont really use the trackpoint on either of them that much. (For instance for a while I pulled the trackpoint out of the endurapro altogether -- and again, I would never do that to the m13, I respect it too much! I mean I can have kinky sex with a topre, but not with a buckling spring IBM board. Gotta draw the line somewhere ;-D ).
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2009, 21:19:42 by wellington1869 »

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 21:04:20 »
sold? AWWWWWWWWWWW

Quote from: AndrewZorn;133072
so i guess now it's M10 vs Majestouch vs G80-3000...
makes it simple again...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 21:11:51 »
Quote from: rdjack21;133065
I keep looking at those but just can't seem to make up my mind.

the technology is still in very early stages, you'd be an early adopter still, but I think the technology has come far enough that these devices are really quite useable. So far the reader does have a place in my daily workflow. I really like it. But there are a lot of things still to be worked out. The processors on these things could be a lot faster; there can always be more features, and the whole DRM situation needs to be sorted out between the major players.  But man, they're wicked cool. :-D

Get your hands on a physical unit if you can.  There are a ton of new readers about to come on the market in next 6 months. Barnes and Noble stores will have a display booth for both the 'nook' and the plastic que readers, in december.  I checked my sony model out at the sony store in manhattan before buying it.  And I tried out my co-workers kindle 2 before buying the sony too.  It helps to get one in your hands and get a feel for what it can (and cant yet) do.

I chose the sony in the end because it supported the most formats 'natively' (the one's i'm interested in anyway, epub and especially pdf with reflow), and sony made a deal with the new york public library (I can borrow NYPL ebooks directly from the sony software) and also made a deal with google books to make those available from within the sony software. So lots of free books plus my own documents. And a whopping 32g max expandable memory. Plus audio. Plus it has things like a touchscreen, and freehand drawing right on the page which I like a lot. Lots of ways to take annotations (more than the other models).  

That said, I"m sure that within 6 months it will be made obsolete by cheaper/better models that are coming.  So I'll sell it and upgrade when the time comes :-D  But ya, I've become a convert to e-books.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 21:15:28 »
Anyone interested in an M13?  Ibm logo, black, trackpoint. $50 shipped.  It has a beige cable intead of black tho. Works perfectly, and is non-molested by me.  I can throw in a dual ps/2 to usb adapter.

(i was going to sell it for less but realized this is a heavy board and I'll need to cover my shipping costs a bit!)
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2009, 22:05:44 by wellington1869 »

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 21:15:40 »
the neat thing about the kindle (and maybe they all do this) is the completely free cell-based internet access... certainly something that could be neat

EDIT is the M13 in good condition?  if so, i have dibs

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 21:24:57 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;133081
the neat thing about the kindle (and maybe they all do this) is the completely free cell-based internet access... certainly something that could be neat

EDIT is the M13 in good condition?  if so, i have dibs

ya, wireless is neat, the nook has it too. My particular sony model doesnt (I'm not planning on spontaneously actually purchasing a lot of books for it; i mostly want to put my own documents (and free books) on it. So I have to tether it to the PC if I want to buy anything). But the sony model coming out in december (prs-900) will have wireless.

The m13 is in good condition; it has a small smudge which was pointed out to me when I bought it so I'll point it out to you too. I'll post pics of it. I guess I'll post a classified ad but ya you've got first dibs if you decide you want it.

You can always spray-paint the cable with a can of flat black ;-D
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2009, 21:28:49 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 22:42:47 »
Quote from: ripster;133091

how about taking the money and buying one of Xsphat's typewriters ?- he's trying to simplify his life a bit too.

yea, XS and I are kind of in competition selling our keyboards off on GH ;-D  Typewriters, sheesh. Whats next? Paper and pencil? ;)  Oh yea, e-ink. xD He writes on paper and I write on virtual paper.

So he buys typewriters and I buy ebooks and tablets. Either way it means our keyboards are now for sale xD  Hey at least I'm keeping a couple of them for old times sake.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2009, 00:20:52 by wellington1869 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 17 November 2009, 08:37:59 »
I guess that's how it goes.  Join GH, buy every keyboard on the planet, find which one(s) you can't live without, sell the others.

The cycle of life.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 17 November 2009, 08:42:45 »
Quote from: itlnstln;133172
I guess that's how it goes.  Join GH, buy every keyboard on the planet, find which one(s) you can't live without, sell the others.

The cycle of life.

I only sold my ALPS keyboards.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 17 November 2009, 09:01:16 »
Sounds like your following the cycle nicely.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 26 November 2009, 20:52:23 »
Thanks Welly. I installed the Scorpius tonight. It's thanksgiving for more than one reason.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 02:00:54 »
Quote from: ricercar;136638
Thanks Welly. I installed the Scorpius tonight. It's thanksgiving for more than one reason.

Any pictures, or links to them? I can't find any...

Oh nevermind, I found them on google.

Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline chimera15

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 02:05:02 »
cool, found one on ebay for $53.  Finally going to get to try cherry blues, maybe I can make my wireless hack with them if I like em.

Why are these like half the price of tenkeyless?
They have nkeyrollover too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXnGH6IMOfI&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 November 2009, 02:08:12 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx