Author Topic: 3D printed alps/matias keycaps  (Read 2403 times)

Offline RyanArr

3D printed alps/matias keycaps
« on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 22:33:14 »
Overview
These aren't quite standard Alps keys, as I made them to solve particular issues I had with the generally wonderful Matias Ergo Pro. I have a 1.5x1 R4 escape key, a 1.5x1 R1 mod with two mounting studs, and a custom profile (horizontal front to back, very slight cylinder) 1.5x1 also double studded. I'm going to make an R4 1x1 next as a base for novelties to fit more standard Alps layouts.

Pics
118192-0118198-1
118194-2
118196-3

Why? What? Huh? (Long explanation likely uninteresting if you don't own this board)
1.5x1 R4 (Esc): The escape key that comes on the board is actually an R1 key rather than R4. Matias has explained the reasoning for this in other threads, and while I understand it, I'd rather not have my escape key sink below the level of the case when I press it. That it comes in red is a bonus!

1.5x1 R1: I wanted more mods (namely a right fn and right option), and have no use for the nav keys. From the top this is almost a clone of the stock 1.5xR1 escape, except it's are shallower to clear the switches (the .75u keys can't have a skirt, same issue for these since they are in the same place). These keys have two studs, thus pressing PgUp+PgDwn or Home+End. A Karabiner script makes this all work.

1.5x1 Custom: These were an experiment. I thought it might be neat to use the dedicated copy/paste/cut/undo keys for something else, but 4 was really more than I needed. They look neat (yes there is another black one not pictured, part of this project was making myself some color samples), but Karabiner can't make them work. I might do some soldering on the board eventually to make this function, but I'm just as likely to Sugru over the hole and be done with it.

Offline RyanArr

Re: 3D printed alps/matias keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 22:42:59 »
Here's one of the backs. The black one needed a little shaving as Shapeways won't polish black items (weird restriction) and thus they came too too tight. The Escape key was factory polished so it fit better. I'll be making the stud longer for the next revision to snug it up a little. The keys all work great, the only issue is that the double mounted keys are a little heavy; I might try modding the springs to compensate.
118200-0

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 22:46:35 »
Pretty cool. What did that set you back?

Offline RyanArr

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 22:57:22 »
Pretty cool. What did that set you back?

Would have been about $31 shipped for the lot of them (7 keys total) but it cost me $6 (basically just paid shipping) because of a promotion ($25 off for new customers with edu email address).