Author Topic: What is the closest Cherry MX equivalent of a Topre switch?  (Read 20858 times)

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
What is the closest Cherry MX equivalent of a Topre switch?
« on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 16:10:40 »
If you take a look at all the different reviews of Topre based boards, let's say Realforce 87/88UB, one of the most common points is a try to compare them to the most widespread type of a mechanical switch - and that would be Cherry MX switch, of course.

Almost everyone will start to draw a parallel to Cherry MX brown as the closest equivalent to the feeling Topre boards deliver, since browns don't have loud clicks, and yet they are still somewhat tactile.

However, what I don't like about this comparison is the fact that literally everyone who ever tried Topre board, including the softer 45g version, has come to a conclusion that these are quite a bit stiffer to press than any of the  softer types of Cherry switches, even though they are marketed as 45g or 55g as well. I guess this has to do something with different force curves, among other factors.

I will quote a few parts of the review I found on DT.

I love MX reds and really appreciate the fact that they're a very light switch. Reading that both MX reds and Realforce 88UB had 45g force, I was hoping them to be very similar. The Topre 45g feels considerably heavier than MX reds, close to blacks I would say. Whenever I get home type on my MX reds I feel like I'm smashing the keyboard, at least in the first couple of minutes. I'd like the Topres to be a bit lighter but I enjoy them non the less.

Beware what people say on the internet, though. Anyone who thinks 45g (regular) Topre is close to MX red is deluded. There's various ways to measure switch weights out there (the right way and the wrong way, evidently…) but in all reality 45g Topre is in between MX red and black, leaning towards black. A lot of non-MX switches are right in that range actually, it's something of a sweet spot. Most Alps switches are right around there too.

Here we come to my question. Since I basically have two home locations and routinely switch between them, I had an idea to buy Cherry MX board which is as close to a Realforce 88 as Cherry MX can get, because I don't want to simply buy another Topre board since they are so damn expensive, and I don't want to carry this one around like some desperate IT camper. Of course, I already own one of the Cherry MX blue boards, and I am aware they are a different world entirely from a Topre, but non the less idea is to come as close as one can.

So, obviously, browns are not the right choice simply because they are too soft, but since we are speaking about non-clicky tactile type of a switch, perhaps clears would be the right choice? What do you think?

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: What is the closest Cherry MX equivalent of a Topre switch?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 16:16:52 »
I often carry my board home from work with me. I am not a desperate IT camper.  :rolleyes:

To answer your question though, there is no direct comparison, they are just different. However you might want to look into the Zealios. The 67g tactile switches have been said to have torpe-like feel. It is probably as close as you are going to get. I spent all day typing on a HHKB, and I'm typing this post an some 67g Zealios. They don't really feel the same at all, but I can see where people draw the comparison. You'd have to do a custom build if you were interested in those tho.

My advice...buy an hhkb and call it day.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 16:32:52 »
I think Cherry MX brown is the Cherry MX switch that is most similar to Topre, but they are still very different. They are just similar in the sense that they are tactile, but the feeling is totally different. I think the different between Topre and MX brown is the different between apple juice and orange juice: they are both juice, but do not taste like each other. Orange juice is more similar to apple juice compared to coffee, but it's not apple juice.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2015, 16:37:41 by ctm »
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline dario

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 16:44:27 »
I often carry my board home from work with me. I am not a desperate IT camper.  :rolleyes:

To answer your question though, there is no direct comparison, they are just different. However you might want to look into the Zealios. The 67g tactile switches have been said to have torpe-like feel. It is probably as close as you are going to get. I spent all day typing on a HHKB, and I'm typing this post an some 67g Zealios. They don't really feel the same at all, but I can see where people draw the comparison. You'd have to do a custom build if you were interested in those tho.

Well, thanks for the idea, but buying Zealios would include plenty of soldering, and I would certainly like to avoid that part of the story. It's not like I'am necessarily against it, but if I was about to do that amount of work, I'd like it to be for a good reason... and this it ain't.  ;D

And as I already mentioned, I would like to avoid buying another torpe board too. I don't spend that much time at my parents so I don't need really high-end keyboard there, I just need it to be decent and somewhat torpe-like. Since I live in Europe, everything is more expensive than in the US, so I could buy let's say good MX browns board + very good Ducky PBT keycaps for less than 150€. I would need at least 2,5X of that amount for a Topre board.

Soooo... browns or clears? Maybe even greens if their stiffness is about the same as 45 Topre, I don't mind the clickyness, I love my loud MX blue board after all, which sound more like a weapon than a keyboard really.

I think Cherry MX brown is the Cherry MX switch that is most similar to Topre, but they are still very different. They are just similar in the sense that they are tactile, but the feeling is totally different. I think the different between Topre and MX brown is the different between apple juice and orange juice: they are both juice, but do not taste like each other. Orange juice is more similar to apple juice compared to coffee, but it's not apple juice.

That's a good thing since browns are the cheapest one.
But can anyone perhaps compare Topre to clears of maybe greens?

Offline bbrotha

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 16:57:36 »
Hi, I have a Realforce 87U with 45g switches, as some Tactile zealios 65g on a 60% build and also Cherry Blues on a numpad. In this case Greens and Blues are definitely different than topre switches by a lot, starting with the clicky sound. I guess it would be really hard to find a similar MX feel to topre, but as the previous post above, zealios might provided you a feeling close to it, but I really prefer my Realforce. I in fact tried already every topre keyboard out there including the RF hi Pro and Leopold, and my favorite, mostly for the build sturdiness is the RF87, follow by the HHKB. I couldn't get the layout at first, but it would be my next topre buy without a doubt.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2015, 17:07:01 by bbrotha »
Norbaforce 87U 45g  -- HHKB Type S Blanks-- Kira Keyboard -- M65-A -- Novatouch

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 17:03:37 »
When I said brown was most similar, I was comparing to 45g Topre and not taking non-standard Cherry MX (like ergo-clear) into consideration. I think brown is more similar because brown is of similar weight to 45g Topre while clear is heavier. Also green is not similar to Topre at all. Green is clicky.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 18:23:12 »
The switch only comparison may defeat you, because the case, and particularly the plate of the board will affect the overall feeling of it. You should consider that Topre is a system keyboard, not discrete switches put together like an MX one.

I am typing right now on purple Zealios installed on an acrylic plate and they feel very close to a Topre board, they are more responsive and less mushy, though, but close.

I read that you want to avoid soldering, that is ok, however to answer your question fairly I'd say plate mounted purple Zealios are close in feeling to Topre.

Offline Altis

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 23:25:47 »
I concur with above that purple Zealios are the closest MX switch to Topre. If you want stock MX, then yes MX Clears would be it.

MX Clear is pretty gritty by comparison and fairly heavy, but perfect if you're trying to avoid bottoming out.

Topre and Zealios both have a fairly smooth and large tactile bump, though Topre is still smoother and more tactile, IMO. The hump seems longer.

Dat one cupness.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline raymogi

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 23:34:57 »
If you prefer not to do the hard work (soldering) like me, then stock clears is as close as you can get to that Topre feeling.

I'm waiting for my new board to be assembled with the purple 67g Zealios cause from what I've read, that is the closest you can get to Topre.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 23:39:02 »
I used browns for 2 tears before switching to clears for that better part of the last 3 years. I now replaced them with my 55g topre. At first I didn't know if I was going to be able to get used to the topre. But I love it so much. I'd say get topre even if they are less customization.
Shout out to AirTree for always staying true to the topre master switch. You truly are correct.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 23:39:33 »
Definitely Blue Alps or BS.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 00:17:04 »
There's just no comparison, really. The way the switch activates in Topre and Cherry MX are just totally different.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 00:21:54 »
Definitely Blue Alps or BS.

was asking for MX

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline Charizard

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 00:22:19 »
While I agree that there isn't really an MX switch that feels just like topre, ergo clears are definitely the closest in my opinion. I haven't tried the zelios switches but as they are close to the feel of ergo clears, I imagine they are similar to topre as well.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 00:26:35 »
I know you said cherry MX, but you might want to look into Matias Quiet Click switches. They're nice and quiet like Topre, and have a good solid and precise tactile bump.

Also, you said you don't want to do any soldering without good reason - Purple Zealios are great switches, there's your "good reason"

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 02:52:34 »
id totally say mx blues. but mx blues has a loud click :) Other than that i think they are pretty similar

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 03:55:48 »
Even the closest MX switch will not give you a feeling of oneness with cup rubber.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 04:23:45 »

How did youknowwho not see this and applaud you?

And quality post above that, tbh.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 04:28:05 »
No switch give the same feeling as topre. Buy hhkb nao and you will know why its so good

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 04:32:22 »
I know you said cherry MX, but you might want to look into Matias Quiet Click switches. They're nice and quiet like Topre, and have a good solid and precise tactile bump.

Also, you said you don't want to do any soldering without good reason - Purple Zealios are great switches, there's your "good reason"

This... The Matias switches also have their tactile bump at the top like Topre. Zealios are worth learning to solder for :)

However: Topre, Alps, Buckling spring and MX (including Zealios) all have different force curves, so will feel different. There's no way around this besides severe modding.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 04:44:51 »
NUH
THEEN
CUM
PEARS

2 U*

*topre
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 07:16:52 »
A mechanism with a metal spring and a plastic stem will never be the same as one based on a rubber part. This discussion seems going into the same as most Topre vs Cherry comparisons do: Some like rubber, some do not. Again, if you like Topre, then go and buy one, and do not complain on price. If you want to try Cherry or ALPS go and choose the switch that best fit your likes, but trying to get something similar to something else is futile.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 08:01:09 »
I agree with most here that there really is no comparison, but I've found the MX switches that feel the nicest after using Topre are Zealio Tactile, and MX Whites (I've never tried ErgoClears).

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline jamster

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 08:09:02 »
As pretty much everyone else has been saying, Ergo Clear or Zealio. Browns very, very vaguely if you need to go standard MX, but even then that's more like a Royal Kludge version of Topre. I would argue that Clears are not like Topre at all, the ramped up bottom out makes it feel very different (and for me, highly frustrating).

The original question is like asking "which variety of apple is most like an orange?"

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 17:30:38 »
Nothing comes close, however that doesn't mean it's the best :p

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 17:36:08 »

How did youknowwho not see this and applaud you?

And quality post above that, tbh.

I know! I get no love sometimes. Second rate, I tell ya.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 20:10:31 »
Zealios 67g, I've tested all of these, you must try for yourself. MX Clear is way too gritty, MX Brown bump is way too small.

Topre has large bump (dome) feeling, smooth, and requires a bit of force.

Zealios 67g has large bump, smooth, and requires a bit of force, but not too much, just right I'd say.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 22:34:29 »
Where can I get these 67 zealios for cheap?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 22:37:24 »

zealpc.net :D
Please feed my addiction.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 22:38:33 »

Here, they are a buck each.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 00:36:08 »

Which is hardly cheap, for a whole board, but hey, there isn't really any other option for them at the moment... I think I saw some on the Classifieds a while ago. (I'm typing on some 67g Zealios right now, and loving it!!!)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:20:55 »

Which is hardly cheap, for a whole board, but hey, there isn't really any other option for them at the moment... I think I saw some on the Classifieds a while ago. (I'm typing on some 67g Zealios right now, and loving it!!!)

Well if you think about the time and effort it takes to get cherry mx clears, open them up, swap out the springs and replace them with clear tops and so forth I'd definitely say they are worth it

They fill out a nice gap in the market for what I am going to call "semi custom switches" - modded to a certain extent but without lube/stickers etc

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:24:29 »

Well if you think about the time and effort it takes to get cherry mx clears, open them up, swap out the springs and replace them with clear tops and so forth I'd definitely say they are worth it

They fill out a nice gap in the market for what I am going to call "semi custom switches" - modded to a certain extent but without lube/stickers etc

But modding switches is very funny and entertaining.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:31:45 »

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:33:49 »

For me opening dozens and dozens of switches and swapping parts around gets really old after a while.

Offline qwack

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:43:22 »
Has anybody here tried both jailhouse blues and Topre ? I never tried the latter, but I am curious about how the former, with its high tactile bump, would compare.

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:50:04 »

For me opening dozens and dozens of switches and swapping parts around gets really old after a while.

I keep one of my keyboards with PCB mounted switched only with the purpose of the chance of experimenting with several combinations of stems and springs.

Offline jamster

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 09:40:47 »

If by a while you mean a single keyboard, I'd agree wholeheartedly.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 09:47:57 »

Ha! I've still got a phantom that I need to finish swapping springs and stems in, I only got though ~40 switches before I was done.

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 01:17:44 »
Jailhouse greens. Feels quite similar to topre. The main problem is getting consistency when making them.
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline jamster

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 01:25:09 »

Ha! I've still got a phantom that I need to finish swapping springs and stems in, I only got though ~40 switches before I was done.

I've done a conversion on one full keyboard, and ran out of interest halfway through the next. The second keyboard has been sitting around for weeks waiting for the second half of a Zelio transplant.

I'd rate swapping out switch internals as slightly more engaging than watching paint dry :)

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 21:11:58 »
If you want a Topre board to feel like a Cherry board, it's easy. Just buy a Topre board, pull the keycaps and pour sand in the switch housings. Conversion to Cherry, done!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 23:03:27 »
It is time to lock this thread.

Offline dario

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 23:41:38 »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 23:58:10 »
If you want a Topre board to feel like a Cherry board, it's easy. Just buy a Topre board, pull the keycaps and pour sand in the switch housings. Conversion to Cherry, done!

L O L

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 00:03:53 »

Sounds like someone hasn't been fortunate enough to try lubed Vintage Blacks, or lubed Zealios. :P

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 00:14:53 »
It is time to lock this thread.

Show Image

I love Grand Torino the movie as well.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 06:50:49 »