Author Topic: What is the closest Cherry MX equivalent of a Topre switch?  (Read 20847 times)

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
Re: What is the closest Cherry MX equivalent of a Topre switch?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 02:43:05 »
I just wonder is there a Topre Church and how many of you declared themselves as Toprerian ethnicity during the last Census.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 17:24:07 »
If you want a Topre board to feel like a Cherry board, it's easy. Just buy a Topre board, pull the keycaps and pour sand in the switch housings. Conversion to Cherry, done!

L O L

Haha, I'm honored to be quoted in your signature.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 17:44:02 »
If you want a Topre board to feel like a Cherry board, it's easy. Just buy a Topre board, pull the keycaps and pour sand in the switch housings. Conversion to Cherry, done!

Sounds like someone hasn't been fortunate enough to try lubed Vintage Blacks, or lubed Zealios. :p

No, I've never tried Vintage Blacks or Zealios boards. I am partial to lighter switches. My favorite board is my RF 87U silent variable. I also have a RF 87U 55g uni, but find it a bit too tiring for extended typing. However, I do appreciate any fine keyboard regardless of switch type.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 06:16:10 »
As most people will tell you, they're completely different approaches to switch design. It's like asking, "What kind of ice cream is most like a hamburger?"

The obvious solution is to have one of everything, and rotate between them as you please. Some people on here actually do this.  :?O
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:19:14 »
In the mechanical keyboard realm there has been a long and never ending fight between Topre users and the rest of us, discrete switches based keyboards users; even, within the Topre group there is a subgroup of those that praise the HHKB Pro as the only board that worth having. Sometimes there are connections, like galactic worm holes within GH, where the two worlds meet, like this thread. The fact is that each group can live well and enjoy their keyboard passion at their own world, but when the two join they may clash. This thread is a classic example, some times these encounters are entertaining, other are just nasty discussions with no argumentation, nor warrants, empty bezels of idiosyncratic thoughts.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:27:04 »
In the mechanical keyboard realm there has been a long and never ending fight between Topre users and the rest of us, discrete switches based keyboards users; even, within the Topre group there is a subgroup of those that praise the HHKB Pro as the only board that worth having. Sometimes there are connections, like galactic worm holes within GH, where the two worlds meet, like this thread. The fact is that each group can live well and enjoy their keyboard passion at their own world, but when the two join they may clash. This thread is a classic example, some times these encounters are entertaining, other are just nasty discussions with no argumentation, nor warrants, empty bezels of idiosyncratic thoughts.

I don't think there is that much of a "never ending fight"

Most people I see who are Topre owners typically own quite few MX boards as well. There aren't that many Topre only people out there

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:33:32 »
As most people will tell you, they're completely different approaches to switch design. It's like asking, "What kind of ice cream is most like a hamburger?"

The obvious solution is to have one of everything, and rotate between them as you please. Some people on here actually do this.  :?O

Owning one of everything that interests me (which is almost everything), then rotating between them is my goal. As a keyboard enthusiast, I find that rotating between different boards to be great fun. I've got my first Topre kb being shipped to me right now so I am eager to make the Cherry MX vs Topre switch comparison.

Offline qwack

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:34:04 »

... and within this group, there is a subgroup of those who praise the Type-S as the only HHKB Pro worth having.

And within this subgroup, there may be yet another subgroup that found a reason to feel superior to the rest of them  ;D

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:35:16 »
What about someone who uses Topre switches and discrete switches all the time and likes both?

Not Cherry MX; I think those suck. But Alps and Topre are my favourites.

Welcome to the rubber dome club, losing_ctrl
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:40:29 »

Most people I see who are Topre owners typically own quite few MX boards as well. There aren't that many Topre only people out there

Those are the renegades, a different breed of keyboard users.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 08:02:52 »

I think as long as you don't think a Razer or Corsair keyboard is the best thing ever you'll get along here pretty well regardless of what you end up using
Those are the renegades, a different breed of keyboard users.

Show Image

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 14:08:48 »
I'm not really a keyboard enthusiast. I work on them and they're a tool for me. I don't mod mine other than adding a few different color keycaps. I would rather stand buck naked and be pressure washed than take a keyboard apart and add some rubber bands or solder some switches. However, I have grown to appreciate a fine keyboard just like a carpenter appreciates a fine hammer.

I have no vested interest or allegiance to a particular switch or keyboard manufacturer. The only thing I care about is using the best keyboard for the 12+ hours per day I spend on it. Aside from quantifiable quality assessments, we all know 'the best' is mostly subjective opinion and personal preference. I had used Cherry browns, blues and reds for years until I discovered Topre keyboards. I now have three Topre boards and zero cherry boards. If Cherry would actually innovate something that is better than Topre, I'd be all over it. But until then, I see no reason to own anything Cherry. That's like a Lexus owner buying a Kia just so he could be reminded of why he bought the Lexus in the first place. And, that last statement is my subjective opinion.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 05:34:15 »
If you want to try topre, go get your closest rubber dome and then imagine a version of it that you would actually like  :p

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 06:25:46 »
If you want to try topre, go get your closest rubber dome and then imagine a version of it that you would actually like  :p

lies lies lies

Offline jamster

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 07:29:04 »
I have to agree with the rubberdome statement. I've got a *good* RB keyboard sitting here next to a Realforce 55. Actuation and force/distance feel almost exactly the same, but the Realforce is more solid in travel (keys don't rattle about) and sounds nicer.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 07:33:45 »
I have to agree with the rubberdome statement. I've got a *good* RB keyboard sitting here next to a Realforce 55. Actuation and force/distance feel almost exactly the same, but the Realforce is more solid in travel (keys don't rattle about) and sounds nicer.

This is one of the more objective statement about Topres that I have read so far.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 07:58:13 »

This is one of the more objective statement about Topres that I have read so far.

Certainly more accurate than MX vs Topre, for sure.

A better analogy is probably something along these lines;

Comparing MX and Topre is like comparing Whiskey and Vodka. They're both spirits, but they're completely different otherwise.

Comparing a rubber dome to Topre is like comparing a cheap $10 bottle of scotch, and a bottle of Macallan 21. They're both scotch, and share some inherit traits because of that, but they're still so very different.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 08:03:33 »

lies lies lies

pfft, you can't tell me that.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 08:12:16 »

lies lies lies

there can be only one spike spiegel

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 08:18:08 »

lies lies lies

there can be only one spike spiegel

i'm the real one, believe me D:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 08:21:08 »

Comparing MX and Topre is like comparing Whiskey and Vodka. They're both spirits, but they're completely different otherwise.

Comparing a rubber dome to Topre is like comparing a cheap $10 bottle of scotch, and a bottle of Macallan 21. They're both scotch, and share some inherit traits because of that, but they're still so very different.

+1

Offline jamster

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 19:48:54 »

That analogy only serves to highlight how switches are  a completely personal preference- I much prefer the simple Macallan 12 to any of the older versions :)

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 02:35:31 »

That analogy only serves to highlight how switches are  a completely personal preference- I much prefer the simple Macallan 12 to any of the older versions :)

Of course they are a preference. But people still like to argue about how the switches feel, not just how good they feel. It's something that numbers can't explain, you really have to try it to know it.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 06:44:42 »
In the mechanical keyboard realm there has been a long and never ending fight between Topre users and the rest of us...

I don't think there is that much of a "never ending fight"...

Now you're even fighting about whether there's a fight or not.  :?D

The obvious solution is to have one of everything, and rotate between them as you please...

Owning one of everything that interests me (which is almost everything), then rotating between them is my goal. As a keyboard enthusiast, I find that rotating between different boards to be great fun...

It's the greatest! It really makes you understand why harems and bigamy were so popular.

I'm not really a keyboard enthusiast. I work on them and they're a tool for me. I don't mod mine other than adding a few different color keycaps. I would rather stand buck naked and be pressure washed than take a keyboard apart and add some rubber bands or solder some switches.

Are we limited to just one type of thing or the other, though? Because the pressure washing sounds really good to me, especially if I could get a tall, muscular babe dressed up like Wonder Woman to do it.

I've got a *good* RB keyboard sitting here next to a Realforce 55. Actuation and force/distance feel almost exactly the same, but the Realforce is more solid in travel (keys don't rattle about) and sounds nicer.

I have here some examples of a Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW (one of the good ones, made in Thailand) and an H-P C3758A (designed by HP, made by Key Tronic). They're high-quality, pleasant-sounding RD boards with crisp, responsive, wobble-free travel. I got them NIB on eBay, and they were about $200 less than your RealForce. That was for both of them.

I might like the Topre a bit more, but not that much more. If I did like it more, it's probably be because I could sit there thinking, "Hah! I'm typing on a goofily expensive keyboard that lots of other people would like to have, if they didn't prefer stuff like food and clothing."

Okay, I agree, the Topre sound is cool. But hey, you don't have to buy something that can be digitized. That's so 20th century. Just download an audio sample of a Topre and set it up as your keypress sound. Voila. I even have a friend who can do a convincing Topre impression with his mouth—thok, thok! It's silly spending all that dough for something that's so easily simulated. Right now, there's a bunch of guys in an executive suite in Tokyo laughing about that and getting ready to jet off to their private islands.

Comparing MX and Topre is like comparing Whiskey and Vodka. They're both spirits, but they're completely different otherwise. Comparing a rubber dome to Topre is like comparing a cheap $10 bottle of scotch, and a bottle of Macallan 21. They're both scotch, and share some inherit traits because of that, but they're still so very different.

I realize there are lots of people who can tell what a "good" scotch is. But I don't actually know any of them. They were the people I used to play piano music for at country clubs and secluded resorts. They smoked $20 cigars and wore $1000 shoes. Give me a glass of Canadian Club on ice with a splash, and I'm just as happy as I could possibly be with a glass of 18-year-old aged-in-the-cask Wee Bonnie Dew o' the Heath.

I think a lot of that is just the power of suggestion, salesmanship and snobbery. A few years ago, I actually switched the remaining "good" scotch my wife had brought back from a trip with some CC (thinking I'd appreciate the difference—which I couldn't). At our next party, she served it around to her teacher, lawyer and doctor friends, and they were all smiling and complimenting it, telling her what a "full taste" it had, and so forth.

I bet I could put my HP's innards in a Topre case, take it to a KB meet and say, "Hey, Topre sent us this new prototype—check it out!", and everyone would crowd around and ooh and aah. "Wow, it's quieter, but it still has that cool rubbery sound—it'll be great for the office!" "I really like the retro white keys with brown legends!" They've shortened the travel so you can type faster!" LOL. People are so suggestible.

Of course they are a preference. But people still like to argue about how the switches feel, not just how good they feel. It's something that numbers can't explain, you really have to try it to know it.

I understand the same is true about Jesus. It's not enough to read a bunch of numbered bible verses; you must invite Jesus into your heart and try Him. At least that's what people tell me. As it happens, I have some imaginary friends I've had since I was a kid, so I already know them well and it doesn't make sense to switch to someone else's. They also give me candy, and whisper winning lottery numbers in my ear. Let's see Jesus do that.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg