Author Topic: GE/Marquette (Unicomp) Model M's w-fun caps  (Read 8271 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
GE/Marquette (Unicomp) Model M's w-fun caps
« on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 20:59:55 »
If you like unorthodox Model M's but don't want to bust the bank on a Space Saving Keyboard or Industrial, here's something that may interest you:

UNICOMP Model M Keyboard 2003809-003 REV-B (eBay)

These buckling-spring M's were made for GE/Marquette medical imaging systems. Zoom in to see the fun secondary and replacement legends... And of course those colored keys!

The seller's asking $80 w/free shipping. The still have 5 to sell, though, and you can Make an Offer. So if you can get one in the $60s shipped, that's a sweet deal.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: GE/Marquette (Unicomp) Model M's w-fun caps
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 23:58:35 »
Costs heaps to get one sent to Australia, and such pretty yellow keycaps too.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 02:38:54 »
I wonder what the hell all those two-letter legends are on the yellow caps xD . It's got Torr legends too, never seen that before xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 08:01:42 »
I wonder what the hell all those two-letter legends are on the yellow caps

Those medical specialty caps are wild. As I recall, there was even one with a "urine" key!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 08:04:30 »
UGH This one is different from the one I have. Do I need them both?! Such a cool board.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 08:08:38 »
UGH This one is different from the one I have. Do I need them both?! Such a cool board.

I wonder if you give Unicomp the model number, would they make you a set of those caps?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 09:52:44 »

I wonder if you give Unicomp the model number, would they make you a set of those caps?
I bet they would.  I've had them send me a large print cap set before even though such a thing isn't listed on their web site.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 13:26:46 »
I wonder what the hell all those two-letter legends are on the yellow caps

Those medical specialty caps are wild. As I recall, there was even one with a "urine" key!
Yeah I remember that one, classy as **** xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 20:47:28 »
The best ones on this is the 'wave' and 'art' keys, lol.  Although 'emergency save' in red also gets your attention.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 20:59:34 »
I found one of these in a hospital storage area where I was working a couple months ago and posted about it. Unfortunately it's still an in use system so my keyboard inquiry was a dead end. They look great in person. One thing for me was it didn't carry the same rugged feeling of a typical old IBM-M. It had a lighter feeling to it.

Here's the link: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75802.msg1885835
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 21:56:20 »
I remember when you posted that. :)  I thought it was really neat and was tempted to call the GE support hotline, lol.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 07:23:09 »

I like the Fick on the H key. "Oh Fick, I pushed the wrong button."

UGH This one is different from the one I have. Do I need them both?!...

Yes, there is some variety. Unicomp made Marquette boards in 2002 as p/n UNZ2416, then again in 2006-07 as 2003809. The early ones don't have any of the secondary legends on the Q through P keys. The red F12 isn't always present, and the support-number panel is sometimes centered over the F-keys rather than the lock lights. (Thank you, thank you... Okay, I have left the building.)

Good question. Someone should try!

I found one of these in a hospital storage area where I was working a couple months ago and posted about it. Unfortunately it's still an in use...

Isn't that annoying? What's wrong with people? Don't they realize that collecting these things is much more important than using them for boring stuff like medical care?  :?D
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 08:20:04 »
This is a pretty cool board to have with some interesting notes on the button assemblies and key caps.

First, not all the buttons are 2-piece (at least on mine).  Many are one piece so the key cap isn't removable.

Offline sandybang

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 21:24:00 »
I came across this thread on google and I could not help but to reply. I just wanted to give you guys an insight as to what we use them for. 

We use this keyboard everyday in our Cardiology unit at a Hospital. These keyboards are part of a wider haemodynamic (ECGs, Arterial Blood Pressure) system called PRUCA where I work. We specifically use them in Cath lab (Coronary Artery stenting and Electrophysiology studies).

Those yellow keys are used to change a Label on our screen. They represent where the catheter is going in the heart as it moves around and the different blood pressure morphologies. For example: Aorta, Right Atrium, Left Atrium, Pulmonary Artery etc. All these pressures are show in a wave format and can be hard to decipher, which is why we change the label as we go along in a procedure. 

The big red emergency button is used to instantly start saving a study whenever a dangerous/irregular/no heart rhythm or pressure can be seen. It will save everything from the live screen and display it on our second review screen.

I'm not really a keyboard enthusiast and I do not know much about them. However, I do love typing on this keyboard and the firm clicks. I find it easier to type on this keyboard when I am recording information quickly in an emergency situation as compared to a membrane based keyboard.

A replacement keyboard may or may not cost somewhere along the lines of $1000 AUD brand new.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 04:41:53 »
I came across this thread on google and I could not help but to reply. I just wanted to give you guys an insight as to what we use them for. 

We use this keyboard everyday in our Cardiology unit at a Hospital. These keyboards are part of a wider haemodynamic (ECGs, Arterial Blood Pressure) system called PRUCA where I work. We specifically use them in Cath lab (Coronary Artery stenting and Electrophysiology studies).

Those yellow keys are used to change a Label on our screen. They represent where the catheter is going in the heart as it moves around and the different blood pressure morphologies. For example: Aorta, Right Atrium, Left Atrium, Pulmonary Artery etc. All these pressures are show in a wave format and can be hard to decipher, which is why we change the label as we go along in a procedure. 

The big red emergency button is used to instantly start saving a study whenever a dangerous/irregular/no heart rhythm or pressure can be seen. It will save everything from the live screen and display it on our second review screen.

I'm not really a keyboard enthusiast and I do not know much about them. However, I do love typing on this keyboard and the firm clicks. I find it easier to type on this keyboard when I am recording information quickly in an emergency situation as compared to a membrane based keyboard.

A replacement keyboard may or may not cost somewhere along the lines of $1000 AUD brand new.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Thank you for that technical and straight-forward explanation.  I was wondering about the abbreviations on the yellow keys :))

By the way, if this is just a standard Model M with custom keycaps, you could pick up a new Model M (more or less) from Unicomp and a few custom keycaps for way less than $1000.

Although getting those specific custom legends might be difficult.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline E3E

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 00:33:02 »
Yeah, makes me think of how ludicrous it is for an industrial grey case and blue key caps to make a certain SSK worth over $1000 USD. :P

Offline alh84001

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 05:54:23 »

That was an interesting read, thanks for taking the time to register and share this with us. It's always fun to learn how people actually use some of these rarer boards in the wild. I guess that price point of AUD$1000 is probably down to those dealers in obsolete equipment. I imagine when a hospital needs replacement they need it quite quickly, so they can't be picky about it. I am even more surprised then that a seller on ebay recently let ~10 of these for $40-50.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 04:03:04 »
I came across this thread on google and I could not help but to reply. I just wanted to give you guys an insight as to what we use them for...

After admiring these unique keyboards for some time, it's delightful to learn more about how they were used. Thanks for your trouble, mate!

BTW, do you happen to know what the legendary Fick key was for?

Offline alh84001

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 05:39:43 »
It has to do something with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fick_principle in one way or other.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 21:07:58 »
It has to do something with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fick_principle in one way or other.

Wow, the mystery of Fick revealed! This is a landmark moment in KB-collecting history.  :?)

How did you know about that? Are you a medical person too? Or did you just do some logical research?

Offline alh84001

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 01:53:28 »
I think there was a post over on DT and someone was knowledgeable of these things :D

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 04:40:29 »
I'm sure you'll agree—it's Fickin' remarkable. (Okay, somebody had to say it.)