Author Topic: Strawpoll about K3KC  (Read 36334 times)

Offline _joe_king

Re: Strawpoll about K3KC
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 12:33:06 »
With the ridiculous rules around here for getting in on buys and giveaways

What ridiculous rules?  That you have to have an account or sign up on the site?  Those sure are crazy rules.

No offense to the people who can sit on the internet all day every day and snipe all the good deals on artisans but that doesnt leave a lot of room for people who have to work a job where they are not able to do the same.

I work a full time job.  I still have many caps I've bought at retail.  Until this last sale, I had never won a Bro sale and this sale saw me winning one.

I'm glad you won't buy from him, but it is entirely possible to get caps without paying obscene prices.  Does it take longer?  Yes, but K3 support in the end always comes down to people feeling entitled to something and the wanton need for immediate gratification.

Having any amount of post requirement is absolutely ridiculous for any buy. This pushes away the people who cant afford the time to post on sites like this. Sure not everyone does it but those that do help create sites like k3kc. Some people just dont have the time/energy on dealing with post requirements, drawings and having to spend any amount of energy on setting a reminder to submit their email for a chance to get in on a cap sale as ridiculous as that may be. I still wont support it but clearly tons of people do.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 12:43:40 »

What ridiculous rules?  That you have to have an account or sign up on the site?  Those sure are crazy rules.

No offense to the people who can sit on the internet all day every day and snipe all the good deals on artisans but that doesnt leave a lot of room for people who have to work a job where they are not able to do the same.

I work a full time job.  I still have many caps I've bought at retail.  Until this last sale, I had never won a Bro sale and this sale saw me winning one.

I'm glad you won't buy from him, but it is entirely possible to get caps without paying obscene prices.  Does it take longer?  Yes, but K3 support in the end always comes down to people feeling entitled to something and the wanton need for immediate gratification.

Having any amount of post requirement is absolutely ridiculous for any buy. This pushes away the people who cant afford the time to post on sites like this. Sure not everyone does it but those that do help create sites like k3kc. Some people just dont have the time/energy on dealing with post requirements, drawings and having to spend any amount of energy on setting a reminder to submit their email for a chance to get in on a cap sale as ridiculous as that may be. I still wont support it but clearly tons of people do.

1. he no longer has a post requirement i dont think? he made one. lowed it. lowed it again, deleted it? I quit keeping up with it, but am fairly sure there isnt a requirement anymore.

2. Despite thinking that going about implementing the post rule wasn't done very professionally/tactfully, I totally understand the philosophy behind it. The idea was that these items were specifically FOR members that wanted to contribute to the community. Wanting to make sure items went to contributing community members was a very understandable motive, as well as his right to sell his caps how he wanted.

3. This is where the morals come into play. You speak is if you are entitled to one of the caps, which just isnt the case. You can either A) understand that you dont deserve a cap, just because you want the cap, and keep trying in future sales/to meet any rules or B) simply want what you want without regard to the community and support people like K3. I mean, there are people that won't buy K3's caps or Bros caps after the drama with the rule changes started. Thats another possibility.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 12:52:36 »

1. he no longer has a post requirement i dont think? he made one. lowed it. lowed it again, deleted it? I quit keeping up with it, but am fairly sure there isnt a requirement anymore.

2. Despite thinking that going about implementing the post rule wasn't done very professionally/tactfully, I totally understand the philosophy behind it. The idea was that these items were specifically FOR members that wanted to contribute to the community. Wanting to make sure items went to contributing community members was a very understandable motive, as well as his right to sell his caps how he wanted.

3. This is where the morals come into play. You speak is if you are entitled to one of the caps, which just isnt the case. You can either A) understand that you dont deserve a cap, just because you want the cap, and keep trying in future sales/to meet any rules or B) simply want what you want without regard to the community and support people like K3. I mean, there are people that won't buy K3's caps or Bros caps after the drama with the rule changes started. Thats another possibility.

Excuse me but where did I speak about being entitled to one of the caps?  I am simply stating why a site like k3kc exists. Not enough supply, silly requirements (active or not), and people just not having enough time. I am totally fine with having to jump through whatever hoops to get these awesome caps. If I get into a buy and its for a cap I dont really want I just give it away. I am one of the people who get to sit on the internet all day and browse the forums/sales so its a non issue for me. Again, I was just stating my opinion on why sites like that exist. Take it how you want

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 13:22:17 »
Excuse me but where did I speak about being entitled to one of the caps?  I am simply stating why a site like k3kc exists. Not enough supply, silly requirements (active or not), and people just not having enough time. I am totally fine with having to jump through whatever hoops to get these awesome caps. If I get into a buy and its for a cap I dont really want I just give it away. I am one of the people who get to sit on the internet all day and browse the forums/sales so its a non issue for me. Again, I was just stating my opinion on why sites like that exist. Take it how you want

Was on mobile and skimmed too fast. My apologies!

Yes, I would completely agree though, probably a huge factor into why sites like his do exist.

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 13:49:40 »

Yes, I would completely agree though, probably a huge factor into why sites like his do exist.

Its all good man I meant no disrespect! my wife tells me I get defensive  :eek:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 13:53:38 »

Its all good man

well duh =P Wives are always right, you gotta get a little defensive just to feel like you're a little bit right from time to time =P

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 14:45:39 »
LOL, here we go with the "woe is me, 50 posts is soooooo hard" bit...
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 14:47:26 »

LOL here we go again with the rampant disrespect on this forum... Did you even read my posts?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 14:48:27 »

LOL here we go again with the rampant disrespect on this forum... Did you even read my posts?

for whatever reason, it would seem people are prone to skimming and not reading your posts  :-X

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 14:50:57 »

for whatever reason, it would seem people are prone to skimming and not reading your posts  :-X

Must be my low post count  :-X

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 14:52:00 »

Must be my low post count  :-X

Hey man, you're already 6 posts closer to 50 posts all thanks to this thread /s

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 14:55:14 »

You can reread my post (maybe try not skimming?), which doesn't contain either of your names.  Take your tender egos and cry "disrespect" elsewhere.

Joking mentioned that "some people don't have the time, etc." even though he apparently does.  So why would I be talking about him?  I'm talking about the impending posts coming from the mention of the "silly requirements".
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 14:57:15 »

You can reread my post (maybe try not skimming?), which doesn't contain either of your names.  Take your tender egos and cry "disrespect" elsewhere.

Joking mentioned that "some people don't have the time, etc." even though he apparently does.  So why would I be talking about him?  I'm talking about the impending posts coming from the mention of the "silly requirements".

i didnt even read the "rampant disrespect" part.

Oh god, I did it again  :-X hahaha.

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 15:01:02 »

If I dont skim I wont fit in  :p

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 15:02:16 »

If I dont skim I wont fit in  :p

today everyone learned that LSB can in fact, not read.   :confused:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 15:08:54 »
Y'all are too eager to TYPE, you're not reading enough!  :))

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 15:09:53 »

I would if i knew how  :'(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 15:13:22 »

I would if i knew how  :'(

Aww, it's okay LSB. We don't judge.

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Cooler than your average kid ;)
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 16:15:33 »
entitled kids buying caps that they think make them cool, not caring if they're supporting copyright infringement or anything.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 16:29:49 »
When did this thread turn into reddit instead of reddit haters
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 16:53:31 »
If you value authenticity, don't do business with K3.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 22:10:55 »
^ this.

From the stem subject of authenticity the reasons not to do business with him balloon out further.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 00:56:46 »
^ this.

From the stem subject of authenticity the reasons not to do business with him balloon out further.

Does he do any work "inspired" by your caps Binge?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Dizeee23

• food please
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 20:43:55 »
true i totally agree. But then again if you're like me, cant imagine self buying $$$ real original clacks, i might as well get the next thing since its i will never own a very expensive one. And besides, i simply like caps :D

Offline Reigning Hell

• Forever Fiending 4 a V2
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 21:10:40 »
true i totally agree. But then again if you're like me, cant imagine self buying $$$ real original clacks, i might as well get the next thing since its i will never own a very expensive one. And besides, i simply like caps :D

Both sides of viewing it pretty much summed up; those who value the original art, those that want to enjoy the design/cap on their board.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 00:56:35 »

Both sides of viewing it pretty much summed up; those who value the original art, those that want to enjoy the design/cap on their board.

>I really like the design of Clacks
>I know, I'll buy a ****ty knock-off at the same price as an original

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 01:35:29 »
i wish k3 made  FNs
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 01:56:13 »
Aquire a cube of plastic then carve out a custom cap>replying in this thread  :confused:

Personally don't advise anyone buy from K3, simply because quality is ****e. Bought an arrow cluster blank set and they dont even stay on a stem _-_

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 02:10:15 »

"i want it and i want it NOW"
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 07:44:49 »

Excellent conclusion put to words. This is really what it boils down to. Most people in this forum are supporters of the art (understandably since many of the artisans caps originated here) and that really shows in the poll.

On the other hand you have reddit, where many people don't know and/or care about the history of the caps and just like the design. Not that there's anything wrong with this. Everyone is allowed to buy what they want from whomever they please.

And lets face it, I doubt there is anyone here who lives an absolutely pure, moral life. Who are we to judge?

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 13:17:32 »
And lets face it, I doubt there is anyone here who lives an absolutely pure, moral life. Who are we to judge?

Speak for yourself.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 13:34:19 »
I just don't see how someone already invested in the hobby could be totally oblivious to CC's existence, and only see his (replicated) designs as cool little things to spice up their keyboard.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 14:06:45 »

Speak for yourself.

demik does

Offline Reigning Hell

• Forever Fiending 4 a V2
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 14:37:47 »

Yeah, thats the thought process of people who buy K3KC caps because they like the cap. Except they don't think/know about the authenticity or history behind the cap. BECAUSE ITS JUST A KEYCAP.

Try to look at this from some other point-of-views, yeah?

This is just in defense of those new people who are unaware of CLacks, but have seen the skull cap. "****ty knock off" applys to those wolves and cherokeys wannabes

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 14:58:14 »

Yeah, thats the thought process of people who buy K3KC caps because they like the cap. Except they don't think/know about the authenticity or history behind the cap. BECAUSE ITS JUST A KEYCAP.

Try to look at this from some other point-of-views, yeah?

This is just in defense of those new people who are unaware of CLacks, but have seen the skull cap. "****ty knock off" applys to those wolves and cherokeys wannabes

you make a solid point. There are TONS of people that own and enjoy mechanical keyboards that don't care at all about getting on forums and talking about them. I know I have lots of hobbies like that. They could just see this "skull" cap, google it, find the K3 store and buy it, not knowing a thing about it.

while it looks crap, it should be mentioned that K3 did a wolf first, so its actually not a "knock off," just a silly looking cap.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 14:59:53 »
I just don't see how someone already invested in the hobby could be totally oblivious to CC's existence, and only see his (replicated) designs as cool little things to spice up their keyboard.

only a small fraction of mechanical keyboard users are actually active on the forums, and without decisive research they would never know the story behind any of these caps.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 15:06:45 »

only a small fraction of mechanical keyboard users are actually active on the forums, and without decisive research they would never know the story behind any of these caps.

Exactly, I remember seeing a post of Ripster bragging about their 93,000 subscribers and posted a link to the activity, all the posts were made up of a ~2,300 unique users. A lot of people now-a-days just like to look a the pictures and move on, if they find something they like posted then they'll look for where to buy it.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 15:34:41 »
It's just that, one would think that the general population would have more curiosity.

I guess not lol.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 19:37:13 »
It's just that, one would think that the general population would have more curiosity.

I guess not lol.

People do have curiosity, but they cannot direct that curiosity to every single hobby they partake in to such an extreme degree that many of us do.

I enjoy vintage video games, but am only registered on one forum and rarely log in.  I enjoy photography, but am not terribly active in many online communities.  Perhaps the best example in my personal life is the vaping community; I tried it out, skimmed the surface, and never dug anywhere near as deep as I have into keyboards.  It was a very casual, passing hobby for me.  It is not at all unreasonable to imagine someone with a similar attitude toward keyboards.

What I'm getting at is that I do have a huge passion for "my hobbies", and I spend loads of time on "the hobbies" I partake in - but it's weighted incredibly heavily toward keyboards.  :)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 22:10:18 »

I guess not lol.

People do have curiosity, but they cannot direct that curiosity to every single hobby they partake in to such an extreme degree that many of us do.

I enjoy vintage video games, but am only registered on one forum and rarely log in.  I enjoy photography, but am not terribly active in many online communities.  Perhaps the best example in my personal life is the vaping community; I tried it out, skimmed the surface, and never dug anywhere near as deep as I have into keyboards.  It was a very casual, passing hobby for me.  It is not at all unreasonable to imagine someone with a similar attitude toward keyboards.

What I'm getting at is that I do have a huge passion for "my hobbies", and I spend loads of time on "the hobbies" I partake in - but it's weighted incredibly heavily toward keyboards.  :)

Exactly this. They honestly probably dont even know there is a whole keyboard culture.

Even with some of my professional hobbies/jobs like audio, I'm not active on any of the forums.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 16:08:50 »
Hey guys let's stop giving this guy publicity attention. We (mostly) all agree that what he's doing is ****ty, but we don't need 15 more people to bump this post saying they agree. As they say: there's no such thing as bad publicity. Circlejerking about how much copying **** sucks is great, but like I said its only giving him more attention. Just don't buy his caps, and maybe if you see people talking about them, respectfully inform them of the truth, but just patting each other on the back about the fact that we all hate him doesn't change ****.

Hopefully this will be the last post on the thread.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 16:31:22 »
Merry Christmas everyone! Hope ya'll are having a great holiday season ~

Here's to hoping Santa brings authentic keycaps to more good children, and less crappy knock offs in 2016!

edit: oops ~ didn't see last part of trenzafeed's post --;; sowey ~

Agree with trenzafeeds on most part. However, putting the obvious copy-issue aside though, what should be made aware is the absolute crap and low quality of his caps. People shouldn't become victims to his scam, and lose out on hard-earned $30+, even if they are scum enough to buy from him in the first place.

Any other discussion manofinterest is asking for is redundant and overdone. Ideally, this thread should be locked.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2015, 16:59:31 by VesperSAINT »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 16:38:29 »
Merry Christmas everyone! Hope ya'll are having a great holiday season ~

Here's to hoping Santa brings authentic keycaps to more good children, and less crappy knock offs in 2016!

Show Image

Lmao Hahahahahahahaha

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 17:02:54 »
Strawpoll Here: http://strawpoll.me/6177618

With the inability to easily find an affordable option for Clacks, is K3KC an alternative to you?

With the sale coming up in a few hours, I wanted to see what the community thinks of these caps nowadays since more and more time has elapsed since Clacks' last sale.
I'm sure a lot of newcomers in the hobby don't even remember the last time CF had a sale, so the majority of their information seeing ebay listings for the keycaps that go for $150+ quite easily.
On the other hand, K3KC has been consistent on seasonal sales as well as having a store with consistent stock.
I personally don't like the idea of someone copying another person's idea when it comes to something like artisan caps, but different things matter to different people.

What do you guys think?

Really OP? You want to go down this road...? You won't like how it ends.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Owntrolf

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 23:13:17 »
Im still fine with them making blanks though.

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 11:57:12 »
REPORTED!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:32:46 »
Honestly, I care only if he's taking copyright protected sculpted caps.  Copies of stuff that's not copyright protected are of no concern to me.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 18:43:43 »
Honestly, I care only if he's taking copyright protected sculpted caps.  Copies of stuff that's not copyright protected are of no concern to me.

Oh, good, so you do care - because "Copyright is automatically granted to the author of an original work".  :thumb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_States
http://www.copyrightkids.org/copyrightbasics.html

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 02:29:49 »

Oh, good, so you do care - because "Copyright is automatically granted to the author of an original work".  :thumb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_States
http://www.copyrightkids.org/copyrightbasics.html

It's not quite that easy.  Leave it to lawyers to ensure it's more complicated than that.

Copyright is only granted to those things that are copyrightable.  US copyright law explicitly spells out things that are not copyrightable.  Please see section 906 - uncopyrightable material.  Here, let me link straight to the US copyright site itself.

http://copyright.gov/comp3/chap900/ch900-visual-art.pdf

Items include
  • 906.1 - Common geometric shapes
  • 906.2 - Familiar symbols and designs
  • 906.3 - Colors, coloring, and coloration
  • 906.4 - Typeface, lettering, etc.
  • 906.5 - Spatial format and layout
  • 906.8 - Functional and Useful elements
So, again, if there's copyright infringement going on, I'll avoid those.  If there is sufficient differentiation in product that a legal claim fails or would fail, I've no problem.  If the original item receives no copyright, I've also got no problem with it being copied.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 02:30:55 »
Oh cool it's Wikipedia lawyer time! :D