Author Topic: Strawpoll about K3KC  (Read 36171 times)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Re: Strawpoll about K3KC
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:25:31 »
Honestly, I care only if he's taking copyright protected sculpted caps.  Copies of stuff that's not copyright protected are of no concern to me.

Oh, good, so you do care - because "Copyright is automatically granted to the author of an original work".  :thumb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_States
http://www.copyrightkids.org/copyrightbasics.html

It's not quite that easy.  Leave it to lawyers to ensure it's more complicated than that.

Copyright is only granted to those things that are copyrightable.  US copyright law explicitly spells out things that are not copyrightable.  Please see section 906 - uncopyrightable material.  Here, let me link straight to the US copyright site itself.

http://copyright.gov/comp3/chap900/ch900-visual-art.pdf

Items include
  • 906.1 - Common geometric shapes
  • 906.2 - Familiar symbols and designs
  • 906.3 - Colors, coloring, and coloration
  • 906.4 - Typeface, lettering, etc.
  • 906.5 - Spatial format and layout
  • 906.8 - Functional and Useful elements
So, again, if there's copyright infringement going on, I'll avoid those.  If there is sufficient differentiation in product that a legal claim fails or would fail, I've no problem.  If the original item receives no copyright, I've also got no problem with it being copied.

And then there is Trademark...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:34:43 »
I'm sort of confused why anyone debates this stuff. K3KC's intent is to profit off of the work of members of our community, and while he has the means to make original designs, he chooses to make copies or obvious derivatives in order to maximize his own profit and as a personal insult to other artisans (see: his interactions with Bro Caps). This makes him a ****wad and a bad person, and objectively so.

I'm not in the habit of supporting ****wads and bad people, and anyone who is is either ill-informed or is also a ****wad and a bad person.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:47:16 »
and anyone who is is either ill-informed or is also a ****wad and a bad person.

That's a little silly. We all purchase things in some form or another that we are ill informed on, or do things that we don't fully think through. I'm sure half the people here complaining about him have illegally downloaded music or movies, or bought knockoffs of some product knowing it was a knockoff, etc.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:51:28 »

That's a little silly.

woah m8, you bringin out the strong language

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:52:47 »
That's a little silly.

That's not very nice...

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:19:46 »

That's a little silly. We all purchase things in some form or another that we are ill informed on, or do things that we don't fully think through. I'm sure half the people here complaining about him have illegally downloaded music or movies, or bought knockoffs of some product knowing it was a knockoff, etc.

You're right, of course we all partake in a bit of hypocrisy, knowingly and unknowingly, and I have no issues with the folks that are ill-informed. But we're not operating in the highly saturated market of handbags, as evidenced by the success of numerous other artisans. We're speaking of someone who has the capacity to create and market novel products and instead chooses not to. I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek when I call everyone who supports him a ****wad, but let's not pretend he's the Little Guy sticking it to the Big Corporation.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:23:17 »

You're right, of course we all partake in a bit of hypocrisy, knowingly and unknowingly, and I have no issues with the folks that are ill-informed. But we're not operating in the highly saturated market of handbags, as evidenced by the success of numerous other artisans. We're speaking of someone who has the capacity to create and market novel products and instead chooses not to. I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek when I call everyone who supports him a ****wad, but let's not pretend he's the Little Guy sticking it to the Big Corporation.

tbh comparing music piracy to kck3 is like comparing me and my brother fighting to the war in Iraq...

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:24:40 »

You're right, of course we all partake in a bit of hypocrisy, knowingly and unknowingly, and I have no issues with the folks that are ill-informed. But we're not operating in the highly saturated market of handbags, as evidenced by the success of numerous other artisans. We're speaking of someone who has the capacity to create and market novel products and instead chooses not to. I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek when I call everyone who supports him a ****wad, but let's not pretend he's the Little Guy sticking it to the Big Corporation.

tbh comparing music piracy to kck3 is like comparing me and my brother fighting to the war in Iraq...

Oh, my gosh! Thanks for all your service!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 12:51:53 »
I'm sort of confused why anyone debates this stuff. K3KC's intent is to profit off of the work of members of our community, and while he has the means to make original designs, he chooses to make copies or obvious derivatives in order to maximize his own profit and as a personal insult to other artisans (see: his interactions with Bro Caps). This makes him a ****wad and a bad person, and objectively so.

I'm not in the habit of supporting ****wads and bad people, and anyone who is is either ill-informed or is also a ****wad and a bad person.

Honestly, I care only if he's taking copyright protected sculpted caps.  Copies of stuff that's not copyright protected are of no concern to me.

Oh, good, so you do care - because "Copyright is automatically granted to the author of an original work".  :thumb:

It's not quite that easy.  Leave it to lawyers to ensure it's more complicated than that.

Copyright is only granted to those things that are copyrightable.  US copyright law explicitly spells out things that are not copyrightable.  Please see section 906 - uncopyrightable material.  Here, let me link straight to the US copyright site itself.

Items include
So, again, if there's copyright infringement going on, I'll avoid those.  If there is sufficient differentiation in product that a legal claim fails or would fail, I've no problem.  If the original item receives no copyright, I've also got no problem with it being copied.

True, but trademarks are rather limited.  Still of concern, though.

Items include

Absolutely.  I think that one gets forgotten or lumped in with copyright in many cases.  I know I've been guilty of the latter.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 14:12:54 »

Items include

Right. And since artisan caps are none, of those...  ;)

We're talking about a guy taking a sculpted cap and making a 1 for 1 exact copy. I'm not sure why you keeping speaking in terms of "if". He is.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 14:16:45 »
Hoff, art is hard.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 14:20:28 »

Items include

We're talking about a guy taking a sculpted cap and making a 1 for 1 exact copy. I'm not sure why you keeping speaking in terms of "if". He is.

His new thing seems to be making poorly-crafted replicas of teaser pics bro has posted and trying to "beat Bro to the market"
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 December 2015, 14:46:23 by trizkut »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 14:29:21 »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:02:14 »

Items include

Apologies, Hoff, I've been delved into researching copyright a bit lately and the, "automatic copyright" statement from you threw me off on that tangent.

That said, so we're clear, I'm of the opinion that he's violating on a number of caps that I've seen from him but I didn't get to heavily browse and compare last night and can't seem to get to his site at work.  However, I did notice some caps that, even if they aren't his, would not be protected because of the noted restrictions.  It's only a few but I did catch notice of them.

For the clacks clones?  I believe you are correct in that they're in violation of copyright.  They appear to be exact replicas and K3 even admits to such in the interview done with him a while back.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:06:33 »
Don't call them clones, call them what they are, counterfeits.  It's a semantic statement, but one that drives home that he's stealing the work of another.

Offline Vox_PT

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:09:16 »
"beat Bro the the market"

Show Image

Ikr. Top K3k indeed. (see what I did there?)

Your new avatar reminds me of the lerminnatteys. It's a little frightening...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:59:18 »

Apologies, Hoff, I've been delved into researching copyright a bit lately and the, "automatic copyright" statement from you threw me off on that tangent.

That said, so we're clear, I'm of the opinion that he's violating on a number of caps that I've seen from him but I didn't get to heavily browse and compare last night and can't seem to get to his site at work.  However, I did notice some caps that, even if they aren't his, would not be protected because of the noted restrictions.  It's only a few but I did catch notice of them.

For the clacks clones?  I believe you are correct in that they're in violation of copyright.  They appear to be exact replicas and K3 even admits to such in the interview done with him a while back.

He's copied Clacks and BroBots, and has original sculpts of the wolf and monster vag (Dota cap).  Then he copied Bro's Cherokey and perhaps a couple others I've missed, but AFAIK those were copied based on photos and not 1 for 1 sculpts.

Far and away, the most commonly sold K3 caps are counterfeits.  And he did it with the intention of pissing people off and making money.

As long as people are aware of that, they are free to make their own moral choices, I just want it to be clear who they're dealing with.  ;)

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 17:05:28 »
has original sculpts of the wolf

Are you talking about the squirrel from Ice Age looking thing?

More
vs

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 17:06:50 »
has original sculpts of the wolf

Are you talking about the squirrel from Ice Age looking thing?
Show Image

More
vs
Show Image

LOL I hadn't made that connection  xD  Yes, it was the squirrely thing.  :D

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #169 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 17:11:32 »

He's copied Clacks and BroBots, and has original sculpts of the wolf and monster vag (Dota cap).  Then he copied Bro's Cherokey and perhaps a couple others I've missed, but AFAIK those were copied based on photos and not 1 for 1 sculpts.

Far and away, the most commonly sold K3 caps are counterfeits.  And he did it with the intention of pissing people off and making money.

As long as people are aware of that, they are free to make their own moral choices, I just want it to be clear who they're dealing with.  ;)

Agreed that he's got a majority of caps that are counterfeits from what I saw.  The ones I could note off the top of my head were the CC fakes, the Indian chief, and the wolf with the CC fakes being the vast majority of what I saw on the site.  It's a shame, too, as the guy could be putting those production capabilities to better use with unique ideas.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:20:33 »
Hmm. this thread is still active...

The copyright argument is a strawman argument: not all countries have the same copyright laws found in North America, or the UK, etc.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:27:17 »

The copyright argument is a strawman argument: not all countries have the same copyright laws found in North America, or the UK, etc.

Well it's active now because you posted in it. -_-

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:27:22 »

He's selling them to the US and Europe, they apply.  We also have copyright treaties that apply.

Even If they didn't, you cannot argue that he's ethical.

Why so people try so hard to justify this *******?  There must be a lot of entitled people out there.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:32:01 »

Well it's active now because you posted in it. -_-

Whoops, misread the timestamp...

Move along, move along, nothing to see here.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 19:24:52 »

There are variances in copyright protection from country to country but the Bern convention covers a lot of ground in terms of international copyright agreements.  Vietnam has signed the convention - I believe K3 is based out of Vietnam. 

For a basic read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention
For an in-depth read from the official WIPO source: http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/text.jsp?file_id=283698

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 02:41:27 »
Oh cool it's Wikipedia lawyer time! :D

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 13:11:41 »
Oh cool it's Wikipedia lawyer time! :D

Hey, now.  I've only linked once to Wikipedia :p

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 07:48:28 »
lol baldgye has the funniest posts on this forum. i love british humor

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 10:45:00 »
Massdrop violates copyrights all the time.

It MUST be OK.

:-\

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:35:19 »
Today I learned that I made hellboy keycaps........

http://i.imgur.com/y76ZFcn.jpg

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:38:11 »

Nah I think you made the fake ones, hence the name, this guys fighting justice

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:41:59 »

And now he's stealing from Hammer.  Glad to see such a classy dude.  Wonder how his fans on Reddit will defend this one, especially since the Hammer cap GBs have been held the same way as HKP's, whom they also love to circlejerk around and hold as an example of someone who uses the one true way to hold a cap buy.

Edited for clarity.  It was a little dense.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:51:36 by nubbinator »

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:47:58 »

And now he's stealing from Hammer.  Glad to see such a classy dude.  Wonder how his fans on Reddit will defend this one, especially since the Hammer cap GBs have been held the same way as HKP that they also love to circlejerk around and hold as the one true way to hold a cap buy.

No idea, but I'm sure they will find a way. They praise him...
Maybe they'll say some BS like I want one and I want one now  :'(

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:55:39 »

And now he's stealing from Hammer.  Glad to see such a classy dude.  Wonder how his fans on Reddit will defend this one, especially since the Hammer cap GBs have been held the same way as HKP that they also love to circlejerk around and hold as the one true way to hold a cap buy.

Show Image

Yeah, when k3 and the admin of vnmk (pictured in the green shirt) and vnmkfb are best friends IRL, you can rest easy knowing there are no
people with ethics involved there.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:57:18 by Bro Caps »

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:59:23 »

Show Image

Yeah, when k3 and the admin of vnmk (pictured in the green shirt) and vnmkfb are best friends IRL, you can rest easy knowing there are no
people with ethics involved there.

That's a pretty nice keyboard layout though.  :(

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:01:08 »
I want all the fake brocap hammer fake keycaps, kkkkkkrabby patty.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:05:03 »
But bro there's not enough of them made
/s
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:06:28 »
On a side note, ripster seems to have really pissed someone off lulz

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/new/

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:08:38 »

It's interesting that it's Korean spam considering how accepting the community is of Korean copycat products.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:09:40 »

Wow, I do not envy the r/mk moderators.  -_-

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:10:01 »
ripster seems to have really pissed someone off

It wouldn't be the first time, nor the last  :p

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:26:48 »

But I thought spam was ok on r/mk.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:28:01 »

Really? Wouldn't you much rather be a moderator on the largest mechanical keyboard community on the planet than here at geekwhack?

/s  :p

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:35:34 »

Really? Wouldn't you much rather be a moderator on the largest mechanical keyboard community on the planet than here at geekwhack?

top kek

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:37:40 »

We actually have very comparable numbers of active/regular users.  ;)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:40:22 »

I don't think GH has this kind of number. /r/mk is clearly a bigger community.
/s
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:41:32 »

That I agree with. Reddit is interesting in that you can subscribe to a lot of subreddits that you're only just a little interested in (which I do as well). I'll bet a significant number of subscribers are just there to look at the pictures and "ooo" and "aaa" over keyboards, which is great! It's just a little difficult to compare Geekhack and /r/MechanicalKeyboards because of this.

I like them both. =D

Deskthority is the one I couldn't get into. The layout seems too 90s forum.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:50:42 »

It is! I could barely see the "Which is the best mechanical for gaming but also for typing" posts

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:52:03 »

It is! I could barely see the "Which is the best mechanical for gaming but also for typing" posts

I feel bad for those guys, so I always try to give a decent answer, but I want to start telling that buckling springs are the way to go.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 13:09:04 »
Deskthority is the one I couldn't get into. The layout seems too 90s forum.
That is camo :p We're a select club with hidden treasures ;)
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....