Author Topic: Strawpoll about K3KC  (Read 36335 times)

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Strawpoll about K3KC
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 18:05:37 »
I've tried to express my view about this more than once but I don't feel that it really matters. If you take the objective view - that infringement and blatant reproduction of someone else's intellectual property (and unless I'm mistaken, legally protected design) without their permission is mostly bad; then I think it's quite clear. The Rolex and Print examples are absolute moot point because despite people's subjective desire to own them and self-rationalization of an affordable price, it is still a fake. Whether you want to play the high demand/inflated market game or however you seek to justify it, that is an undeniable truth.

It is such a damn shame too, because that guy looks like he has some ridiculous talent, but by doing this demonstrates no creativity. I don't understand. He could be producing original designs and people would buy them, myself included.

And come the **** on people, Clacks and Bros are nice but are we SERIOUSLY comparing them to original Picassos?

I don't think we were comparing them; just using them as an example of artistic originality.

For the record, I don't think Picasso is THAT great.

I am not comparing the content, simply the availability and to some extent the price. It's an analogy, that's all.

Was just joking but that's hard to convey in text   :p

Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 18:35:24 »
I've tried to express my view about this more than once but I don't feel that it really matters. If you take the objective view - that infringement and blatant reproduction of someone else's intellectual property (and unless I'm mistaken, legally protected design) without their permission is mostly bad; then I think it's quite clear. The Rolex and Print examples are absolute moot point because despite people's subjective desire to own them and self-rationalization of an affordable price, it is still a fake. Whether you want to play the high demand/inflated market game or however you seek to justify it, that is an undeniable truth.

It is such a damn shame too, because that guy looks like he has some ridiculous talent, but by doing this demonstrates no creativity. I don't understand. He could be producing original designs and people would buy them, myself included.

And come the **** on people, Clacks and Bros are nice but are we SERIOUSLY comparing them to original Picassos?

I don't think we were comparing them; just using them as an example of artistic originality.

For the record, I don't think Picasso is THAT great.

I am not comparing the content, simply the availability and to some extent the price. It's an analogy, that's all.

Was just joking but that's hard to convey in text   :p

Oh good, I was worried you didn't think Clacks were equivalent to Picassos.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 18:40:00 »
Oh come on guys, look at this innocent face.

Please feed my addiction.

Offline Vox_PT

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 19:14:57 »
Here's my $0.02.

While I don't think that copying other artists designs and selling them as your own is a nice sales practise (because it's shady way of getting into the artisan business, to say the least) I also don't condemn the ones who look out for them. Original/legit Clacks sell for ridiculous prices in the second-hand market and from what I know ClackFactory haven't done a sale in a long time so I can totally understand that some people like the design and colorways of these caps but don't wanna pay so much just to get their hands on one.

There's no need to get all salty over it, really... while there's some great looking artisans made by some talented guys over here, and there are... at the end of the day they're still little pieces of plastic that decorate your keyboards and nothing more than that. Get over yourselves.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2015, 19:17:17 by Vox_PT »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 20:09:37 »
Here's my $0.02.

$0.02, eh? I feel cheated.

Get over yourselves.

Reddit is that way ---------------------------------->
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 20:17:22 »

Why do you know which way my reddit tab is?!?!

Offline graefeln

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 20:24:14 »
My take on the K3KC thing is that the guy makes some nice making blanks and could maybe have gone somewhere good with his stuff... instead, he took the low road and when he got called on it, he antagonized people and was just petty about it all. Unfortunately, I just don't think you can come back from something like that, so he'll never get my business.

There are just too many talented artisans with reasonable prices (even Bro if you can catch retail) to support someone like K3KC - if I can't get what I want, I'll get something else and keep trying.

I'll support the people who I feel deserve it.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 20:28:40 »
This is stupid, K3C is stupid. I am Girlshark, here me rawr.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 21:01:49 »

I guess you're right, I'd never want to own a Picasso - Clacks are better.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 21:20:43 »

Because geekhack is always the first tab you open  :thumb:
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 21:22:48 »

rekt

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 21:27:54 »

Show Image

Wait wait wait, I get that hes copying Bro's work and all but he even went to the bounds of using the same logo as him?!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 21:31:00 »
There's no need to get all salty over it, really... while there's some great looking artisans made by some talented guys over here, and there are... at the end of the day they're still little pieces of plastic that decorate your keyboards and nothing more than that. Get over yourselves.

There is more to it.. Bro is a friend of many on this site. Do you think it means nothing to him? He spends hours making new designs, only some of which get released, and then someone across the world copies his own creations. It is about more than "little pieces of plastic". If it was only about the plastic, bro/clack would mass-produce caps, but instead they individually produce all of their caps themselves.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 21:58:00 »
With the inability to easily find an affordable option for Clacks, is <redacted> an alternative to you?

Something.. something... kc... go f yourself.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 22:07:27 »

Show Image

Wait wait wait, I get that hes copying Bro's work and all but he even went to the bounds of using the same logo as him?!

Show Image

He even puts "Bro" on the back of his knockoff V2 caps.

I would rather have no Clacks than have knockoffs.

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 23:47:49 »

He even puts "Bro" on the back of his knockoff V2 caps.

Damn I had no idea. I never would have bought his caps before but that makes me straight up dislike him.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 05:13:57 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Vox_PT

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 10:54:03 »
Here's my $0.02.

$0.02, eh? I feel cheated.

Get over yourselves.

Wow, you took Bro's reply, copy/pasted it and didn't even bother to add anything of value to the topic. Congrats dude, what an insightful and interesting reply...
If you didn't had nothing interesting to add, you could have simply not even post.
But you did and this reply came out as unnecessary and childish. It makes you sound "salty" over anything else.

His post wasn't even funny to being with, just pointless.

Not always. I lurk just as much around here as I do on various other forums...

There is more to it.. Bro is a friend of many on this site. Do you think it means nothing to him? He spends hours making new designs, only some of which get released, and then someone across the world copies his own creations. It is about more than "little pieces of plastic". If it was only about the plastic, bro/clack would mass-produce caps, but instead they individually produce all of their caps themselves.

Fair enough. I can't really argue with that because you're right.
This was one of the few replies worth reading on this thread. Thanks.

« Last Edit: Sat, 05 December 2015, 10:56:51 by Vox_PT »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 11:37:17 »
Fake Brocaps discussion and Fake Clack discussion

Seriously just read those two threads and lock this one.

Seriously mate those threads have been archived and can't be voted on or commented on anymore. Plus this has tones of upvotes and great gilded comments.
Please get your head out of your ass and learn how reddit geekhack forums work.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 11:37:48 »
I have a straw poll I'd like to give to k3...
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 13:32:27 »

Engicoder said it best in the reddit discussion. Welcome to the "instant gratification" generation.

Products getting copied in Asia is just something that will almost inevitably happen in this day and age. Newcomers to the hobby likely have no idea that K3 caps arent the originals when buying them. I surely won't pass judgement off on someone if they own a K3 cap if this is the case!

My real issue with K3 is how he blatantly rubs the fact that he is stealing designs in the original designers, and community's face. I'm not saying having a faceless Chinese company make clones would make it ok, but k3 is a blatant *******. This is his marketing though, he thrives on drama because that is how he gets his attention. The clincher is that by trying to inform the newcomers of what he is doing and why its wrong, you are sharing his name with them as well, and those that want that "instant gratification" are now going to go and buy caps from him. This i s why I've tried to just ignore him entirely, never starting a post about him (not knocking this post) or mentioning him at all on my website.

The real shame is that under different circumstances he probably could have done well just being a legitimate maker. His designs aren't stellar by any means (the circle-jerk dictates that his designs should be utterly slammed as trash, but if I knew nothing about caps and saw some of his original designs mixed in with a pot of caps from other makers I wouldnt go straight to his and pick them out as the worst), but there is obviously some level of talent for making caps. Still, I don't support *******s (even when they aren't thieves), especially ones that are as morally corrupt as K3, thus I will never own any of his caps, period. I simply do not think KC is a valid or moral alternative to the real thing.

Finally, discussions should be able to happen though without people getting upset at each other (and should be able to happen in general). These are just keycaps in the end after all, and it saddens me to see how harsh people can often be towards each other over something so small. Sure, you may have an entirely different opinion than I and own a board of K3 caps, and I'll never think that is alright, but I also don't expect to force my morals or beliefs on anyone else. I sure will continue to respect them as a person, even when they do things i disagree with.

<- My Collection (so far)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 13:39:58 »

While I don't think that copying other artists designs and selling them as your own is a nice sales practise (because it's shady way of getting into the artisan business, to say the least) I also don't condemn the ones who look out for them. Original/legit Clacks sell for ridiculous prices in the second-hand market and from what I know ClackFactory haven't done a sale in a long time so I can totally understand that some people like the design and colorways of these caps but don't wanna pay so much just to get their hands on one.

Here's my problem with that. People feel entitled to something, for cheap, just because originals are hard to find. I personally don't agree with that sense of entitlement. Yeah, saying "clack isnt active, and isnt loosing money" is a somewhat valid comment, but that doesn't make selling clones of his designs any less wrong. I would say the best thing to do if you like a design, like a Clack, that are hard to acquire, would be to find a currently active artisan with a design you like and support them with your money instead.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 13:57:19 »
I would say the best thing to do if you like a design, like a Clack, that are hard to acquire, would be to find a currently active artisan with a design you like and support them with your money instead.

To add to this discussion, why does it have to be "instead" (emphasis mine)? Most enthusiasts buy multiple keycaps from various artisans. Yes, this particular one is steeped in controversy, but that doesn't mean that by buying something from him they are necessarily ceasing their support for other artisans.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 14:08:26 »
I would say the best thing to do if you like a design, like a Clack, that are hard to acquire, would be to find a currently active artisan with a design you like and support them with your money instead.

To add to this discussion, why does it have to be "instead" (emphasis mine)? Most enthusiasts buy multiple keycaps from various artisans. Yes, this particular one is steeped in controversy, but that doesn't mean that by buying something from him they are necessarily ceasing their support for other artisans.

But you're telling the other artisans that you support people that rip off their work, which is basically a slap in their face.  Sure, you're "supporting" them (the "other artisans") with your money, but...you're not supporting them as artists.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 14:12:53 »

But you're telling the other artisans that you support people that rip off their work, which is basically a slap in their face.  Sure, you're "supporting" them (the "other artisans") with your money, but...you're not supporting them as artists.

That's a good point. There certainly is a lot of morality that goes into making a purchase (even outside of keycaps). The question is whether or not we want to consider it - in this case, evidently, we do.

I look forward to supporting the Clack Factory some day in the primary market. The secondary market is just brutal. -_-

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 14:16:40 »

My point was that instead of supporting someone that is stealing, support a real artisan with that money. If you have $100 to spend on artisans, sure you could buy a Nubbs, Booper, Binge, and K3 (say you wanted a clack, but couldnt afford one) OR you could buy a Nubbs, Booper, Binge, and katzenkinder and put all of the money you were going to spend anyways back into the community and legitimate makers.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 14:26:26 »
My point was that instead of supporting someone that is stealing, support a real artisan with that money. If you have $100 to spend on artisans, sure you could buy a Nubbs, Booper, Binge, and K3 (say you wanted a clack, but couldnt afford one) OR you could buy a Nubbs, Booper, Binge, and katzenkinder and put all of the money you were going to spend anyways back into the community and legitimate makers.

I understand your point, but what if you don't like the design(s)? Lets face it, no one is going to buy a K3 just to support K3. They just like the way the keycap looks. On his store he doesn't appear to be trying to pass them off as originals (although I know he does so with Bros, which is scummy as hell), so hopefully anyone who does buy it doesn't think they're getting an original Clack.

In the end I think most people will find a balance between their consumer wants and their desire to support a community.

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 14:27:45 »

On that note, when you support one of the makers then you are really doing something quite generous. It is incredible when you create something that someone else wants and you feel as though it might be appreciated. This might be one of the most valuable things you can do as (speaking for myself) it really does mean a lot. It is one of my favourite things I have done and all I want to do is create more.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 14:30:17 »

I understand your point, but what if you don't like the design(s)? Lets face it, no one is going to buy a K3 just to support K3. They just like the way the keycap looks. On his store he doesn't appear to be trying to pass them off as originals (although I know he does so with Bros, which is scummy as hell), so hopefully anyone who does buy it doesn't think they're getting an original Clack.

If the original buyer keeps the caps for themselves, then it's not quite as big of a deal, as you've said.  But we all know how frequently these caps change hands, and the opportunity for scamming with K3 caps (or even unintentionally losing track of whether it's real or not) is too high for comfort IMO.  It has really soured the secondhand market and made a lot of people (myself included) apprehensive about trading with people they don't know very well - which (unintended consequence) probably does more to keep the actual Clacks in the hands of those who already have them, rather than spreading them around.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 14:56:50 »
Welcome to the "instant gratification" generation. Newcomers to the hobby likely have no idea that K3 caps arent the originals when buying them.
It's mostly the combination of these two things. Ignorant people mostly feel entitled up until the point where they realize whatever they're doing has a victim, at which point they can relate more to the feeling and are more likely refrain from doing so. Since they normally think "me me me, all I care about is me", they need something to evoke the feeling that there's more to it than just them.

I was going to make a big example out of how Americans are entitled to the constitutional right to use hate speech (except in instances where it imminently incites violence), yet most citizens refrain from using it in the company of those it victimizes once they're aware of the impact that type speech has upon them, but I'm not even sure it's worth it. Probably too many cultures/children in the hobby for it to resonate.

I will just say that I know he's become less visible/more faceless lately, but people should not forget that Clack is a person in all of this. A person that poured his time and money into building this artisan keycap space with his designs back when no one else was doing it, when the cost of materials was higher and the failure rate using those materials equally as high, and sold his designs at fair value, even after their aftermarket value exploded out of control. And while you (generalized) may not agree with the current market for his art, you should still respect him and his work (just as you would want others to respect you and your work) by not purchasing imitations that devalue his effort to create something original that we, as people, can find enjoyment in.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 15:03:46 »

In the end I think most people will find a balance between their consumer wants and their desire to support a community.

If your primary concern is just getting the cap that you want, and you like K3KC's caps more than other artisans', then get K3KC caps.

But I think we're getting to the central tension inherent in a community that revolves around customizing consumer objects: Are we just here to have the dankest boards/artisans we can, or are we going to be a true community? The latter requires a bit of self-restraint, consideration, trust, and even altruism.

All the top artisans (Binge, Bro, etc.) are GH members and most of them are extremely helpful. There's also a lot of stuff that they do that goes against their self-interest: Three of them1  have spent hours and hours fielding my dumbass noob questions; the best ones sell at a fraction of the caps' market value; etc. Giveaways are common (hell, one of the most active threads in the forum is dedicated just for people to give stuff away for free).

They're willing to do that b/c this is a real community, and that requires a certain level of trust. It's hard to have a community if we don't watch out for each other.

1who I won't name so people won't flood them with PM's
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 December 2015, 15:06:29 by bcredbottle »

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 17:19:31 »
Really wish he would have thought of a straightforward design himself. He clearly has some talent creating the colorways he's putting out, and while his molding and materials don't seem to be as high quality as the other high-profile makers, I would have loved to see them without all of the bull**** he's supported in the community.

Definitely done an awesome job of separating the reddit and GH communities further to boot. I guess some people just don't care.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 20:37:24 »
K3 is a douchebag.

Nuff' said

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 21:46:49 »
I think that K3KC is a major ****, and that's all I have to say about that.

But really, it's different when it's something that's not influencing a major company. I don't think Rolex is worried about fakes so much, since they're already making a ton of money. Artisan makers are just regular people, who are making art, and someone making fakes will impact them much more. Although I'd assume most don't produce artisans for the money, it's still nice to get credit for your work. Plus it takes away some of the nice part of owning something. I think that part of owning a Clack or other high price cap is that you can say that you own a Clack, just like saying "I own a real Rolex"

I plan on producing my own artisans soon, and I know I'd be pissed as hell if someone did that too me.

So yeah, K3's a ****head.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 22:06:53 »
don't think Rolex is worried about fakes so much, since they're already making a ton of money.

Rolex is actually very worried about fakes, so much so that Rolex declares a non genuine part in a Rolex to render said watch a counterfeit.  Their service centre will refuse to work on a watch that has any form of after market part. For example you can get custom watch faces, they will insist on replacing the face with a standard face at your cost of course and confiscate the non-authorised part. This is even if it is not under warranty and you are paying for the whole process. I believe that the US had until recently restrictions on the import and export of Rolex watches where you simply cannot do it. This is to help control every aspect of the sale of their product and ensure that people use authorised dealers in their own countries. Some serious brand protection that is for sure.

In short the export thing was probably based on keeping their reputation to a standard/squeezing as much money as possible out of people but they are probably one of the more active companies when it comes counterfeit protections (for obvious reasons of course)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 22:22:34 »
K3 had talent. He could have used it for good. Instead he used it to steal others' designs and profit from it. Then he rubs the original artisans' nose in it.

Then people over there ----> want their skull caps/GBs/whatever now Now NOW so they support K3. They do the same thing K3 did. They had something (money), and instead of using it to support real artisans, they use it to support K3. His supporters belong in the same class as he does. And those who upvote fakes and downvote real artisans/logic belong there too.

So are we going to have a new thread to say the same thing every six months?  Hoff, can we get a forum feature that autopopulates a dead horse thread with all the comments of the previous one?  That would be dope.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 22:38:24 »
don't think Rolex is worried about fakes so much, since they're already making a ton of money.

Rolex is actually very worried about fakes, so much so that Rolex declares a non genuine part in a Rolex to render said watch a counterfeit.  Their service centre will refuse to work on a watch that has any form of after market part. For example you can get custom watch faces, they will insist on replacing the face with a standard face at your cost of course and confiscate the non-authorised part. This is even if it is not under warranty and you are paying for the whole process. I believe that the US had until recently restrictions on the import and export of Rolex watches where you simply cannot do it. This is to help control every aspect of the sale of their product and ensure that people use authorised dealers in their own countries. Some serious brand protection that is for sure.

In short the export thing was probably based on keeping their reputation to a standard/squeezing as much money as possible out of people but they are probably one of the more active companies when it comes counterfeit protections (for obvious reasons of course)
I'm not really interested in watches, but that's pretty interesting. I guess I should have used a different metaphor, but I think it still gets my point across. The reason why companies that make expensive purses and jewelry aren't up in arms about counterfeits is because they're already making a ton of money.

Another point I forgot to make was with something like a Rolex vs. a counterfeit. you get the extra quality from the Rolex that made them gain their reputation, and I think the same applies with keycaps

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 22:52:39 »
I'm not really interested in watches, but that's pretty interesting. I guess I should have used a different metaphor, but I think it still gets my point across. The reason why companies that make expensive purses and jewelry aren't up in arms about counterfeits is because they're already making a ton of money.

Another point I forgot to make was with something like a Rolex vs. a counterfeit. you get the extra quality from the Rolex that made them gain their reputation, and I think the same applies with keycaps

Don't get me wrong, it is easy to understand what you mean. Rolex is just an interesting topic and I think in general companies will do what they can to protect their brand, but only to the point that it economically effective. Which is what you are saying.

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 22:57:15 »

Don't get me wrong, it is easy to understand what you mean. Rolex is just an interesting topic and I think in general companies will do what they can to protect their brand, but only to the point that it economically effective. Which is what you are saying.
Yeah, that was actually really interesting. I didn't know they took such extreme measures to make sure people buy only genuine products. The more you know  :p

Offline keyboardia1

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 04:15:25 »
Then people over there ----> want their skull caps/GBs/whatever now Now NOW so they support K3.

I know it's fashionable to hate on /r/mk on GH just like it's fashionable to hate on GH on /r/mk. But sadly, if you look at the poll you'll see that here are people too who are willing to buy K3's crappy copy-caps.

Personally i'd never do that. Boo hoo, you can't get a clack or a brobot? Well guess what, neither do i but i'd never support K3. Sadly it's a common thing these days. People feel like they deserve everything. Paying an artist for his music? Nah, **** him.

In case of artisans i really don't get it. People act like there's no way to get them but that's bs. Sure, you need some luck in a brosale but getting an artisan from HKP is pretty easy. But of course those people want a clack or a brobot and act like children when they can't get them.

i'm super happy that people like bro and others keep working an awesome designs despite all of this crap.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 05:10:47 »
Then people over there ----> want their skull caps/GBs/whatever now Now NOW so they support K3.

I know it's fashionable to hate on /r/mk on GH just like it's fashionable to hate on GH on /r/mk. But sadly, if you look at the poll you'll see that here are people too who are willing to buy K3's crappy copy-caps.

To be fair, it's entirely possible that non-geekhackers are responding to the poll with such responses, since there's no verification.  Not saying I think that's the case, but it is possible.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 05:36:54 »
I was going to say something, but every time I start typing I just get more pissed off because that little **** is still making copies and that people support him. I used to try to point out on Reddit how ****y it was doing what he's doing. But I ended giving up because there are too many man children over there that are used to getting things on demand (music, video, ....) and don't know how to wait for something and have this attitude of "I want it, and I want it NOW!" (we can see this with a few GBs going on here too)
It took me over a year to get my first Bro. But when I did win it made it all that much sweeter

OP there is no need to write an article about this *******, all it does is bring more attention to him, and if there was anything you need to know of what we thought, just go and do some research

I guess I did end up saying something, and I guess it can be boiled down to, "*** K3"

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 05:39:39 »

To be fair, it's entirely possible that non-geekhackers are responding to the poll with such responses, since there's no verification.  Not saying I think that's the case, but it is possible.

That poll is BS!
In OPs last poll I voted twice against K3. As you said there is no verification to stop people from voting more than once

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 07:50:38 »

Ok didn't realize we were making this into a r vs. GH debate. I referenced r because it was relevant to K3.

But we can talk about that if you want. What's "fashionable" has no bearing on it. It's simple fact. One of the very things that people like about Reddit (upvotes/downvotes) is also what allows anyone to see that community for its true colors. Any time someone comes out against fakes or in support of artisans (esp Bro) he is downvoted to hell.  Where are the "good people of Reddit" and their upvotes when that occurs?

If you think I am wrong pls link to upvoted posts in support of real artisans and against fakes. I'm willing to change my view given proper evidence.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline keyboardia1

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 08:13:39 »

Ok didn't realize we were making this into a r vs. GH debate. I referenced r because it was relevant to K3.

But we can talk about that if you want. What's "fashionable" has no bearing on it. It's simple fact. One of the very things that people like about Reddit (upvotes/downvotes) is also what allows anyone to see that community for its true colors. Any time someone comes out against fakes or in support of artisans (esp Bro) he is downvoted to hell.  Where are the "good people of Reddit" and their upvotes when that occurs?

If you think I am wrong pls link to upvoted posts in support of real artisans and against fakes. I'm willing to change my view given proper evidence.
I'd say that speaking out against K3 used to be upvoted alot more. But yeah, these days not so much. Not sure why but i assume that /r/mk is just more exposed than GH and there are many new people who got into mechs and want shiny caps for their boards but don't give a **** about the community behind it and the people who make those caps.

But yeah, you're not wrong unfortunately.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 08:24:59 »

I'd say that speaking out against K3 used to be upvoted alot more. But yeah, these days not so much. Not sure why but i assume that /r/mk is just more exposed than GH and there are many new people who got into mechs and want shiny caps for their boards but don't give a **** about the community behind it and the people who make those caps.

But yeah, you're not wrong unfortunately.
Well. For starters, reddit is full of new people. with 93,000+ subscribers obviously a vast majority of them have no clue about the controversy here. they probably see a cool looking cap and upvote it. And when they arent part of the community, of course they will buy the knockoffs, because that happens is alllllllllll communities these days. Secondly, many are still salty about the GH post count thing. Yeah, the intentions behind it were sound, but it wasnt really announced in a tactful way and it upset people. There are still plenty of real community folks there that don't support him though.

God knows I'm just glad we dont have a voting system here. I'm very curious if demik would have the most upvotes, or the least. i tend to think the most hahaha

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 08:44:29 »
God knows I'm just glad we dont have a voting system here. I'm very curious if demik would have the most upvotes, or the least. i tend to think the most hahaha

The most. For sure
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 08:48:27 »

The most. For sure

Upvotes = reported?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 12:15:59 »
Would I buy one? No. I can see why people do tho.. With the ridiculous rules around here for getting in on buys and giveaways, the low quantity produced, and the freaking absurd reselling market, that is going to cause people to buy them. No offense to the people who can sit on the internet all day every day and snipe all the good deals on artisans but that doesnt leave a lot of room for people who have to work a job where they are not able to do the same. I wont be buying from there but I can completely understand why people do. This doesnt change the fact that site is ripping off ideas.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 December 2015, 12:17:30 by _joe_king »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 12:27:22 »
With the ridiculous rules around here for getting in on buys and giveaways

What ridiculous rules?  That you have to have an account or sign up on the site?  Those sure are crazy rules.

No offense to the people who can sit on the internet all day every day and snipe all the good deals on artisans but that doesnt leave a lot of room for people who have to work a job where they are not able to do the same.

I work a full time job.  I still have many caps I've bought at retail.  Until this last sale, I had never won a Bro sale on CtrlAlt and this sale saw me winning one.

I'm glad you won't buy from him, but it is entirely possible to get caps without paying obscene prices.  Does it take longer?  Yes, but K3 support in the end always comes down to people feeling entitled to something and the wanton need for immediate gratification.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 December 2015, 12:48:42 by nubbinator »