Author Topic: Hello, friends!  (Read 1454 times)

Offline arrowM

Hello, friends!
« on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 22:33:52 »
Hello everyone,
My name is arrowM and I'm excited to finally be a part of the GH community. I have been into mechanical keyboards for about a year and a half now, ever since I got my first one—a Corsair K70 with MX Browns. After a while I realized I needed something with heavier switches, so I splurged on a Topre Realforce 87U 55g. Currently it's my main keyboard, and I absolutely love it!

With that said, I'm always looking to try new keyboards and switches as much as I can. I just ordered a Unicomp Ultra Classic because I've heard so many good things about buckling springs, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm a college student studying computer engineering (which means money is scarce!). Other hobbies & interests include gaming and science, especially physics & astrophysics.

It's great to meet everyone!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: Hello, friends!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 22:35:53 »
Welcome to the club! What inspired you to study computer engineering?

Offline arrowM

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 22:59:19 »
I think it was mainly my interest in gaming that got me into computers in the first place. I've always been good at math as well, so when I took computer science for the first time in high school, it was a natural fit.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 03:47:46 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A buckling spring keyboard would definitely be a contrast to MX browns and Topre (typed on my SSK).  If you like the Unicomp, you might see if you can find an original IBM Model M - same design as the Unicomp, but made when the manufacturing equipment was still new(ish) and keyboards were really made to last.  Imagine a 30 year old keyboard coming back to life with just a good clean!

Also have you considered an HHKB?  Probably not, if money is scarce ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline arrowM

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 05:37:43 »
Thanks, both of those are excellent suggestions. I've been eyeing a few Model Ms on eBay, so I would say I'm quite interested. Something about owning such a legendary piece of keyboard history just seems right. I have tried a friend's HHKB before as well, and it's one of the more intriguing keyboards I've seen. The designed-for-coding aspect of it definitely puts it on my wishlist (but it'd take some getting used to!).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 04:56:13 »
Thanks, both of those are excellent suggestions. I've been eyeing a few Model Ms on eBay, so I would say I'm quite interested. Something about owning such a legendary piece of keyboard history just seems right. I have tried a friend's HHKB before as well, and it's one of the more intriguing keyboards I've seen. The designed-for-coding aspect of it definitely puts it on my wishlist (but it'd take some getting used to!).

The HHKB layout is definitely different, but aspects of it (Ctrl key and Backspace placement) might have you remapping your other keyboards once you get used to it!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline arrowM

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 14:05:51 »
Funny you should mention that, as I currently have my 87U set up with CTRL/CAPS swapped.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 21:42:34 »
Funny you should mention that, as I currently have my 87U set up with CTRL/CAPS swapped.

Hence Topre giving swappable Caps/Ctrl keys :)