Author Topic: repair Ducky keyboard with MX and LED  (Read 1425 times)

Offline conandy

repair Ducky keyboard with MX and LED
« on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 16:29:19 »
I have a Ducky Shine keyboard that I just snapped off the stem of the Escape keyswitch, with the stem still stuck in the keycap. 

I am totally willing to pop this keyboard open and solder on a replacement switch, but if I install a switch without an LED (say, a cherry Clear with the pre-installed internal diode (not LED) from a donor Cherry POS keyboard), will there be any issues with the function?  I don't really know much about keyboard hardware and firmware, so don't know if this switch NOT having an actual LED will be an issue with operation.

While we are discussing, does anyone know where I can just order a replacement switch (MX brown with LED) if I need to?  Tried WAS keyboards, didn't see any with LED's. 

Thanks!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: repair Ducky keyboard with MX and LED
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 16:40:25 »
You'll need to desolder the LED before you can desolder the switch and all Cherry switches have holes, so once the new switch is in place you can put the existing LED back in - that way the colour will be a perfect match.

Where can you buy a single switch?  I have no idea.  If you post a classified someone will surely have a spare, I'd put one in the post but it's Christmas so international shipping will be slow :(
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline conandy

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 16:43:38 »
Well, duh.  That makes perfect sense.  Hadn't thought that all the way through, obviously.  The switch is broken, not the LED. 

Thanks, Suicidal Orange.  That simplifies things greatly for me.

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 17:49:32 »
LEDs are cheap.  MechanicalKeyboards.com has switches.